The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

MC80 Variants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> MC80 Variants Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: MC80 Variants Reply with quote

Under the Armada miniature rules system, there is quite a bit of variety that can be built into ships in the SWU. For example, the MC80 has four different variants; star, assault, battle and command (annoyingly, it combines the Liberty-type and much larger Home One-type into a single class, but whatever). I can't make heads or tails of the Armada rule system, so I can't figure out what distinguishes one variant from another, but it is certainly food for thought.

Since WEG specifically states that each MC80 is unique in some way, it would follow that some of the original craft might be better suited for conversion to a specific sub-type of MC80, some with more guns, some with more small craft capacity, etc. So what are some ideas of specialized variants of the MC80?

Also, if anyone plays the Armada system, and can help break down the strengths and weaknesses of the Armada MC80 ships in general terms, I'd appreciate it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me i see it as 'star' variety is the base line. Command strips off some guns to put better comms and sensors.
Assault versions strip some troop areas off for extra fighter capacity, while battle does the reverse and adds guns for a trade off in fighter/troop capacity..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be tangental, but it still relates to Mon Cal cruisers: I'm wondering what class of Mon Cal cruiser the Profundity from Rogue One would be classified as. Just another MC80, albeit with a ventral bridge spur?

I guess we'll be finding out once Womp Rat Press is done with their Rogue One sourcebook.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I reject the idea of the Profundity being an MC-series platform; it more strongly resembles the Separatist ships from the prequels. IMO, it's a product of the Free Dac Volunteer Engineer's Corps, composed of Quarren Separatists. The MC-series ships, on the other hand, would be the product of the Mon Cals, and would feature the traditional appearance of the Mon Cal warships, with hull bulges and the like scattered seemingly at random.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me i see it as 'star' variety is the base line. Command strips off some guns to put better comms and sensors.
Assault versions strip some troop areas off for extra fighter capacity, while battle does the reverse and adds guns for a trade off in fighter/troop capacity..

My thinking followed similar lines, but I found myself thinking that the Command variant would be the stock MC80 WEG stats with added bonus to Comms and such for Command equipment, while the Star Variant would have a full six squadrons of fighters, Battle would have three squadrons with heavier guns, and Assault would be a fast fleet/troop carrier...

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Personally, I reject the idea of the Profundity being an MC-series platform; it more strongly resembles the Separatist ships from the prequels. IMO, it's a product of the Free Dac Volunteer Engineer's Corps, composed of Quarren Separatists. The MC-series ships, on the other hand, would be the product of the Mon Cals, and would feature the traditional appearance of the Mon Cal warships, with hull bulges and the like scattered seemingly at random.

I understand your consternation. I still have trouble accepting the idea that Mon Cal capital ships like the Profundity are "converted urban buildings" or whatever they're supposed to be.

Ugh. The Legends idea that the Mon Cal ships were converted passenger liners was at least plausible.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way the "converted urban buildings" part is true, would be if they were designed from the outset to later be modified into starships. Also, the urban buildings in question would have to be designed like arcologies, but that's possibly something that could be fast-talked when the Imperial inspectors came around to have a look.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
The only way the "converted urban buildings" part is true, would be if they were designed from the outset to later be modified into starships. Also, the urban buildings in question would have to be designed like arcologies, but that's possibly something that could be fast-talked when the Imperial inspectors came around to have a look.

I agree. Conversion is ridiculous, but the ship could have always been made to be a ship and a building structure was built around the ship that also allowed the inside of the ship to be a part of the "building" as well. The Mon Cals and/or Quarren likely wouldn't be able to build that under the Imperial occupation but it could have been built back in the days of being a Allied Region of the Republic and not used as a ship until the Rebellion. It could have been a general emergency measure against planetary invasion. Taking off from the planet would have utterly destroyed the "building" part of the structure.

And I agree that ship was not an MC-80.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the MC30 Frigate from X-Wing Armada is also a product of Free Dac, and is actually a Clone Wars era Separatist ship being used by the Alliance.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, there are two types of Mon Cal cruisers in Armada, the Home One-type and the Liberty-type, and each type has two variants. Home One is a broadside attacker; it's side arcs have twice the firepower of its front and rear arcs. It is well shielded on all arcs, but slow. In contrast, the Liberty is a spear tip--almost half its guns are in the front arc (which is slightly more powerful than Home One's side arcs), and the front is by far the heaviest shielded. The Liberty is also faster than the Home One type.

The Home One-type has two variants: Assault Cruiser and Command Cruiser. The Assault variant is a brawler with capacity for more defensive upgrades to keep it in the fight longer. Its armament has slightly better range and damage potential than the Command variant. The Command variant is more of a carrier.

The Liberty-type has two variants: Battle Cruiser and Star Cruiser. The Star variant is basically just a budget version of the Battle variant--it is cheaper to field but has slightly worse range and damage potential.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
To the OP, there are two types of Mon Cal cruisers in Armada, the Home One-type and the Liberty-type, and each type has two variants. Home One is a broadside attacker; it's side arcs have twice the firepower of its front and rear arcs. It is well shielded on all arcs, but slow. In contrast, the Liberty is a spear tip--almost half its guns are in the front arc (which is slightly more powerful than Home One's side arcs), and the front is by far the heaviest shielded. The Liberty is also faster than the Home One type.

The Home One-type has two variants: Assault Cruiser and Command Cruiser. The Assault variant is a brawler with capacity for more defensive upgrades to keep it in the fight longer. Its armament has slightly better range and damage potential than the Command variant. The Command variant is more of a carrier.

The Liberty-type has two variants: Battle Cruiser and Star Cruiser. The Star variant is basically just a budget version of the Battle variant--it is cheaper to field but has slightly worse range and damage potential.

Much thanks! Some interesting possibilities here, maybe an MC80 with the Fire Arcs rearranged to put massive firepower in the front arc...

I'd like to hear your take on some of the other ships from Armada, as I have the same problem interpreting their FFG stats when trying to convert them to D6.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, CRM, I'd be happy to. Any ships in particular, and what do you want to know?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
Sure, CRM, I'd be happy to. Any ships in particular, and what do you want to know?

Primarily, I'm interested in the ships that don't have WEG stats, such as the MC30 or the TIE Decimator. I'm mostly interested in general performance and capability relative to ships with existing D6 stats for comparative purposes.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the most useful thing would be some context on the relevant stats. In Armada, ship speed can range from 0 to 4. The CR90, Raider Class Corvette (the CR90’s Imperial counterpart), and MC30c Frigate are the only ships that have a max speed of 4. The Home One-type MC80, Pelta-Class Ship, Victory-Class Star Destroyer, and Interdictor-Class Cruiser are the only ships with a max speed of 2. Every other ship has a max speed of 3.

Maneuverability is a more complicated issue, because each ship’s maneuverability changes based on its speed—and not in a uniform way. For example, the CR90 is most maneuverable at speed 4, whereas the Raider (which is also capable of speed 4) is most maneuverable at speed 2. If you look at a ship stat card, it has a grid for all of this. Personally, I think I would just compare the max maneuverability at any speed of one ship versus another. So if I were to stat out the Raider, I’d just give it the same 2d that the CR90 has.

At present, hull points range from 3 to 11. The GR-75 Medium Transports and Gozanti-Class Cruisers are the only ships with hull 3. The CR90, Raider, and MC30c have hull 4. Other, smaller ships (like the Neb-B, Pelta-Class, Arquitens-Class, and Gladiator-Class Star Destroyer) have hull 5. Some medium-sized ships (like the Assault Frigate Mk II and Quasar-Class Cruiser-Carrier) have hull 6. The MC80s and Victory-Class have hull 8. The Imperial-Class has hull 11.

Shield values don’t necessarily translate to d6 all that well, because each arc has its own value. Most ships have somewhat even distributions, although the rear tends to be weakest. The GR-75s and the Gozantis have the weakest shields with 1 in each arc. The CR90 has 2 in the fore and side arcs, 1 in the rear. The MC80 Home One-type has 4 in the fore and side arcs, and 3 in the rear. The Imperial-Class has 4 in the fore, 3 in the sides, and 2 in the rear. A couple of oddballs include the MC80 Liberty type, which has 5 in the fore and 2 in every other arc, and the Neb-B, which has 3 in the fore, 1 in each side, and 2 in the rear. The MC30c has 3 in fore and sides, 2 in rear. I would maybe just compare the total values. So an MC30c would have 11, which is 4 more than a CR90 or Neb-B, equal to the total shielding on the Liberty, only 1 less than an Imperial-Class SD, and 4 less than Home One. And on a side note, other sources (newer FFG material) suggest the MC30c has the same type of regenerative shielding that the MC80s have.

Weapons are also assigned by arcs. There are three types of attack dice: red, blue, and black. A ship at long range from its target may only roll red dice. At medium range, it may also roll its blue dice. And at short range, it may roll all dice. A ship with black dice suggests missile weapons—in addition to the short range, such ships often have ordinance upgrade slots (enabling them to equip assault concussion missiles or assault proton torpedoes). From a firepower perspective, the MC30c is Home One’s little brother. It is another broadside attacker. Its side arcs have five dice each, compared to HO’s six, but three of those are black dice. Its front arc has the same number of dice as HO, but with some black. The rear arc on the MC30c has two dice compared to HO's three.

Starfighters are a little different. The fastest fighters have a speed of 5 (e.g., A-wings, TIE Interceptors). The slowest fighters have a speed of 2 (e.g., B-Wings, YT-1300, YV-666). Hull values range from 3 (e.g., TIE/ln, Z-95) to 8 (e.g., VCX-100, VT-49 Decimator). Starfighters do not have shields or firing arcs. Their damage dice are the same as those used for capital ships, although all three colors are limited to short range.

Hopefully this helps you in interpreting the Armada stats. If you don't already have a good resource for those stats, I suggest http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/. That site has database pages (including pics of the stat cards) for all ships and starfighters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Much to grok, but I see a lot of interesting possibilities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: