The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Slower hyperdrives for fighters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Slower hyperdrives for fighters Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Springboarding off that, the OP could consider limiting the maximum range for smaller ships, while still allowing them to make jumps at their superior speeds.

I handle that with 'consumables'. Starfighters have to make frequent stops to replenish their meager stocks of fuel, air, food...bathroom breaks (empty the receptacles).

As such they have to stay away from certain routes that don't have star ports at regular intervals; every few days.

"He's in a following position? I release the bio mine!"
"You're in an A-Wing. What bio-mine?"
"You know how I've been in this ship for a week, and all that poop has to go somewhere?"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately, you could equip starfighters with a miniature version of the Solid Fuel Convertor from Tramp Freighters, allowing the pilot to <ahem> make his own fuel...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he just eats MRE's and cloggs himself up for 3-4 days!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Or he just eats MRE's and clogs himself up for 3-4 days!

I STILL remember the texture (if not the taste) of that MRE I ate on that one FTX at Forde Meade waaaaaay back when I spent that one semester in ROTC. It had the texture of a solid piece of unchewable beef fat covered in buffalo sauce. There was hardly any meat on it at all.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'd definitely throw in my "Solid Fuel Convertor" if I was piloting a ship in the SWU. Rolling Eyes
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I STILL remember the texture (if not the taste) of that MRE I ate on that one FTX at Forde Meade waaaaaay back when I spent that one semester in ROTC. It had the texture of a solid piece of unchewable beef fat covered in buffalo sauce. There was hardly any meat on it at all.

OT.. There are some real tastey MREs these days...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:

OT.. There are some real tastey MREs these days...

Relatively speaking, of course.. Very Happy
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasoning is that I suspect some power should be compromised for miniaturization despite the smaller size of the propelled craft. Way stations or carriers are essential for longer trips anyway because of short range consumables. One of the main advantages for a hyperspace capable fighter is hit & run, so a staging point near the target is ideal, in which case a slower hyperdrive wouldn't effect that function as much. It seems like a realistic trade off that creates interesting tactical circumstances.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Supercruise is much easier to achieve for a smaller fighter plane than a larger one, for instance, so if anything I feel that a fighter might be even faster than one of the larger ships because there's less mass that the universe must be convinced it can ignore.

I suspect that you're trying to say something about range, really. That the hyperspace jumps of a hyperspace-capable fighter should be shorter jaunts rather than long cruises. For one, there's the bathroom issue. Though one might solve it the way the Sukhoi Su-34 did.

Essentially, the range of a fighter is its consumables divided by its hyperspace multiplier - halved (unless your tactics require the fighter to land and provision on its target). Which means that a generic Y-Wing could potentially have a hyperspace jump of 2 days each way and still have some time on the target. Similarly for most models of the X-Wing.

So, what I'm getting at is this - I do agree that the range of a starfighter's hyperspace jumps might be significantly shorter than, say, a light freighter's typical jump. However, I still feel that the speed with which the starfighter traverses hyperspace should be fast - perhaps even faster than the fairly typical x1 multiplier used for many fighters.

There is, after all, the issue of pilot endurance. The cramped cockpit of, say, an A-Wing doesn't seem to have room for a Su-34 style solution to that problem. Yet the A-Wing has the same amount of consumables that an X-Wing does - 1 week.

Let's say that you double the speed of the typical x1 starfighter to x1/2, but that you similarly require that it can spend at most one quarter its consumables time in hyperspace per jump - which essentially limits its hyperspace range to 2.5 days (the standard Galactic Week is 5 days).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point. In fact, Id be inclined to limithyperspace jumps for fighters to hours rather than days both on the basis of capacity and pilot endurance.

Or else at the very least, require at least one stop each day for relief and to access the cargoare for the day's consumables.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Yet the A-Wing has the same amount of consumables that an X-Wing does - 1 week.

It's just vitamin enriched liquid tang supplement with just 14 protein sticks as that seen in TESB. It doesn't take up a lot of space. They're not eating turkey and dressing with all the fixin's. Wink
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Zarn wrote:
Yet the A-Wing has the same amount of consumables that an X-Wing does - 1 week.

It's just vitamin enriched liquid tang supplement with just 14 protein sticks as that seen in TESB. It doesn't take up a lot of space. They're not eating turkey and dressing with all the fixin's. Wink

Not to mention that Luke didn't even bother trying to salvage any of that protein stick Yoda bit into. He just took a little bite out of it, and Luke just threw away the whole thing! Was Luke's food pack so full that he could afford that much waste? A week's worth of provisions isn't that long....
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hibernation trance & instinctive astrogation make lightspeed trips in a fighter much easier for Force users.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Hibernation trance & instinctive astrogation make lightspeed trips in a fighter much easier for Force users.

True as you tell it, Ning, but Luke wasn't very much of a Force-user in TESB (at least in the beginning). Natural talent or not, it still took him a few moments to get his lightsaber into his hand while in the wampa cave. And he was on Dagobah a couple of days later than that at most, so he couldn't have improved in the Force that much by the time he arrived and met Yoda, certainly not enough to justify throwing away his food stick under your reasoning.

(He did improve quite a bit in using the Force while on Dagobah, but he didn't improve enough to prevent Vader from handing his own @ss to him.)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Not to mention that Luke didn't even bother trying to salvage any of that protein stick Yoda bit into. He just took a little bite out of it, and Luke just threw away the whole thing!

That has always bothered me, even in high school in the late 80s. Luke took the protein bar away from Yoda, and then just tosses it. What a jerk move. If he was just going to toss it, then he could have let Yoda have it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Not to mention that Luke didn't even bother trying to salvage any of that protein stick Yoda bit into. He just took a little bite out of it, and Luke just threw away the whole thing!

That has always bothered me, even in high school in the late 80s. Luke took the protein bar away from Yoda, and then just tosses it. What a jerk move. If he was just going to toss it, then he could have let Yoda have it!

Maybe that was part of Yoda's Secret Test of Character too? If Luke was so angry at Yoda's trolling of him that he just threw away that protein stick instead of trying to salvage it, then that's just one more piece of evidence that "the boy has no patience."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: