The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wheelchair Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Wheelchair Droid Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Wheelchair Droid Reply with quote

This has been on my mind for some reason lately. We see motorized wheelchairs all over in the RW, but imagine that combined with SWU tech. I'm picturing an actual smart-chair, with a fully aware droid brain that not only serves as a mode of transportation for a disabled character, but also as a companion.

The possibilities for modifications are endless. It wouldn't even have to be wheeled; in the SWU, it could just easily be repulsor-based. Its features could be customized depending on the lifestyle of the user, like astromech-type tools for a disabled technician, or a library interface for a more intellectually minded character.

I haven't really put any thought into stats or anything, and as far as I know, no one has ever run a disabled character. But it's an interesting possibility.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nifty idea actually. Might have to use it myself.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The converse side: Why wasn't this disability fixed by cyborging?

I'm not arguing that a smart chair wouldn't be cool, but the first thought I would have is "Well, why didn't they get him some robot LEGS, instead of a robot chair?"
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of this idea of wheelchair/repulsorchair droids, I'm having visions of Dune's Baron Harkonnen's antigrav harness having a droid brain (A Star Wars equivalent of a Mentat).

Words cannot describe the horror I'm feeling now. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that already exists, its called the hover shopper.. Easy to convert that into a droid ran hover/repulsor unit.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Something like that already exists, its called the hover shopper.. Easy to convert that into a droid ran hover/repulsor unit.

There's also that platform that hovers; the one that Yoda rides on while talking with Obi-wan and Mace Windu in the jedi temple. Episode II. Hard to tell if that thing has a brain of its own or is controlled/ piloted in a subtle fashion.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Leia used a (non-droid) medical hover chair in the NJO books
after her legs were crushed by a Vong.

There are some D20 stats for it that were put out on the WOTC website way back.

Xain
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
The converse side: Why wasn't this disability fixed by cyborging?

I'm not arguing that a smart chair wouldn't be cool, but the first thought I would have is "Well, why didn't they get him some robot LEGS, instead of a robot chair?"

Probably because, just in like the real world, not all medical conditions can be solved by artificial limbs.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jank Paramexor in galaxy guide 10 have a mobile life support unit look like hover chair

according the bounty hunter code they a weapons fit in this chair
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Because of this idea of wheelchair/repulsorchair droids, I'm having visions of Dune's Baron Harkonnen's antigrav harness having a droid brain (A Star Wars equivalent of a Mentat).

It could go either way, actually. A disabled villain whose repulsor-chair doubles as his primary enforcer / bodyguard...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
I believe that Leia used a (non-droid) medical hover chair in the NJO books

We don't even have to go that far for a reference. Cliegg Lars in AOTC was missing a leg and got around in a repulsor-chair. That means that even relatively isolated backwaters like Tatooine would have access to basic repulsor-chair tech. It's the droid aspect that takes it a step further.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazdan Paratus from Force Unleashed has a sort of semi-autonomous exoskeleton rig similar to that of Doctor Otto "Octopus" Octavius. Someone made a custom figure for that, http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7_BFxLlBx-0/UeXHpnM60sI/AAAAAAAADX8/cph2ijf-eYY/s1600/Kazdan5.JPG

The Columi have mentally controlled repulsorrigs, if noone's already mentioned those. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Columi_mental_hoverpod

I would imagine that if one modified a Droideka slightly, one should be able to place a chair nestled in the 'thorax' region. I would certainly feel safe if I had a Droideka surrounding me. The bandersnatch-style rolling mode needs to go; I don't need to be folded, spindled, or mutilated while chillin' in my Droideka Chair.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
We don't even have to go that far for a reference. Cliegg Lars in AOTC was missing a leg and got around in a repulsor-chair. That means that even relatively isolated backwaters like Tatooine would have access to basic repulsor-chair tech. It's the droid aspect that takes it a step further.

Exactly the example I was going to give. Even "average" working class farmers on backwater worlds have the access.

As a darker aside: Your notion of the droid-powered "sentient" wheelchair conjured the idea of a fully paralyzed character -- perhaps one of the PCs or major NPCs who was seriously injured in a battle -- who could be reintroduced into the campaign using one of these chairs. However, the eventual reveal/twist is that the droid brain has somehow overtaken the character, and is now masquerading as the character for some nefarious purpose.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you also have that full body repulsor suit for that guy in dark empire 2 (the comic that is)..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empatojayos Brand. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Empatojayos_Brand

Though if I were almost a full-body cyborg, I would hesitate to model my replacement body on an IT-O interrogator droid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: