The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The ESSENTIAL Skill for Heroes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The ESSENTIAL Skill for Heroes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: The ESSENTIAL Skill for Heroes Reply with quote

This is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there is some truth to it.

In the films, heroic characters seem nearly immune to blaster fire, to the point where enemies known for their "precise firing" seem incapable of hitting them (see "stormtroopers"). The only game mechanic available to represent this is the Dodge skill, as most major film characters have Dodge skill levels well above average, making them very difficult targets even when taking MAP penalties.

It would seem to follow that, to build a cinematically heroic character, the essential skill must be Dodge. If a PC is as useless as a screendoor on an airlock, yet has a high Dodge, it greatly increases their chances of survival and returning for the sequel / next week's episode / whatever.

Food for thought...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For y players, the essential , ultimate skill is running Twisted Evil

Dodge and all skill used for it are also vital with me Laughing

Seriously when my players create new caracteres , i always insist for increase this particulars skill.

Dodge is life for this game
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about an essential skill, but I think an essential attribute is Perception. My GM had me and my fellow players roll that so damn often last session, I felt I should have put more points into it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The ESSENTIAL Skill for Heroes = Dodge Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
This is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there is some truth to it.

In the films, heroic characters seem nearly immune to blaster fire, to the point where enemies known for their "precise firing" seem incapable of hitting them (see "stormtroopers"). The only game mechanic available to represent this is the Dodge skill, as most major film characters have Dodge skill levels well above average, making them very difficult targets even when taking MAP penalties.

It would seem to follow that, to build a cinematically heroic character, the essential skill must be Dodge. If a PC is as useless as a screendoor on an airlock, yet has a high Dodge, it greatly increases their chances of survival and returning for the sequel / next week's episode / whatever.

Tongue-in-cheek? I would accept this as an axiom.

When players are designing PCs, I'm a stickler for requiring every single skill dice allocation to be explainable by the character's background. The one exception is the first die in Dodge - I can write that off to natural ability.

I strongly recommend that players put at least that first 1D in Dodge for all PCs. With the damage/wound system in my game, combat is slightly more deadly, so the goal should be to not get hit in the first place.

Dodge is probably the one skill that is used by every PC in every adventure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The ESSENTIAL Skill for Heroes = Dodge Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek? I would accept this as an axiom.

When players are designing PCs, I'm a stickler for requiring every single skill dice allocation to be explainable by the character's background. The one exception is the first die in Dodge - I can write that off to natural ability.

I strongly recommend that players put at least that first 1D in Dodge for all PCs. With the damage/wound system in my game, combat is slightly more deadly, so the goal should be to not get hit in the first place.

Dodge is probably the one skill that is used by every PC in every adventure.

Many of our DM's in the Sparks group almost have it as an axiom that all characters should put 2d into dodge.. Cause its not a matter of IF you will ever be shot at, just WHEN and how often!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The ESSENTIAL Skill for Heroes = Dodge Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Many of our DM's in the Sparks group almost have it as an axiom that all characters should put 2d into dodge.. Cause its not a matter of IF you will ever be shot at, just WHEN and how often!

That's great advice for Sparks since starting PCs are shot at by NPCs up-weighted by having high experience PCs in the same group. In my first Sparks adventure, my PC did a full dodge in some pirate base and still got his @ss handed to him.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: