The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Narrative Starship Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Narrative Starship Combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Narrative Starship Combat Reply with quote

I realize I've asked a similar question before but i'd like to rephrase it.

Has anyone played SWD6 or any other sci-fi (or modern perhaps) game with narrative starship combat and if so how does it work.

It's easy with speeders and other simpler vehicles but when Starships have different speeds and weapon arcs, and shields on constantly varying arcs, I'm looking for a way to keep the nuances of each ship whilst using a 'theatre of the mind' style of gameplay to resolve the battles.

We use a very charactercentric system of minis on a hex grid but they take so long to resolve as well as suck the 'drama' out of a dogfight.

I know Fantasy Flight's SW game uses canned 'moves' and I could see that working with a narrative style combat you 'strafe', 'engage' 'target lock' etc. but I also don't want to create a whole subsystem, or just a different system, I'd like to make it simpler!

Anyways, any suggestions appreciated!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a generic result table from my Advanced Starfighter Combat System. Basically, the two pilots roll their Piloting skills against eachother, with the result determining positioning and advantage.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old group would break out our copy of Crimson Skies rules when we were having starfighter scale battles using star wars miniatures. Wasn't perfect, but it was fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: