The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Transfer brain to droid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Transfer brain to droid? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Transfer brain to droid? Reply with quote

Hi there,

it's just for a NPC I want to use on my next adventure. But I wonder if it's possible on StarWars to transfer a brain (or better say "mind" or just "memories") from a human (or Twi'lek) to a doid?

Kind regards
from Purzelkater
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transfer brain to droid? Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:
Hi there,

it's just for a NPC I want to use on my next adventure. But I wonder if it's possible on StarWars to transfer a brain (or better say "mind" or just "memories") from a human (or Twi'lek) to a doid?

Kind regards
from Purzelkater

Didn't this happen to one of Luke's terminally ill Jedi-in-training in one of the Callista Trilogy novels?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was more a personality copy / transfer than a physical brain transplant.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B'omarr monk. Happened to Bib Fortuna. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/B'omarr_Order

Also, the Maker knows what dr Evanzan was thinking about with his Decraniated, but it shows that others were doing something similar as well. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan

Kligson is an example of an (almost) full-body cyborg replacement. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kligson

Cylo used some sort of technological personality transfer in order to achieve serial immortality. Ish. Sort of. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cylo

The SWTOR game has similar technology that can handle personalities, such as Rakata mind traps to imprison minds.

So, basically, you might go a semibiological route - like Kligson, the B'omarr monks, and Cylo - and it would be fairly well grounded in the extended universe. You might go a fully "digital" route, but that would likely entail either using some sort of relic - possibly a Rakata relic, or an undefined race's relics - and/or Sith (or Force) essence transference.

If you want to have some sort of Force-related backstory for it instead, you might even have an Iron Knight shard http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Knight "pull" the personality of someone dying - or becoming some sort of Force Ghost - into an undeveloped or empty Shard, thereby making them postbiological.

It all depends entirely on the level of shenanigans your GM is prepared to put up with.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herr Purzelkater!

In addition to Zarn's excellent examples above, there is this case from the Droids Dark Horse comics:

An ambitious minor crime figure who oversaw a spaceport in Nar Shaddaa, Movo Brattakin
– who in the comics looks cooler than the image chosen for his wookieepedia entry here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Movo_Brattakin
is nearly killed, but is able to transfer his brain and consciousness into his Droid aide, B-9D7: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/B-9D7 ,
who in turn uses his guise as a Droid majordomo to try and foment a "droid revolution" ruse.

The 4 issue Droids: Rebellion story arc was decently done actually, with nicely stylized artwork from Ian Gibson.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That was more a personality copy / transfer than a physical brain transplant.

Plus iirc it was done via the force..
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers! This sounds really interesting. I hadn't know all about this.

Well, clarify what I was thinking about, I should explain it a little bit more, maybe. As said, it's for a NPC. The ship of a Twi'lek with important informations for the rebellion was shot down by some pirates. The Twi'lek was fatal wounded but her co-pilot was able to transfer her mind/memories to a droid, before she finally died. Well, I was thinking about a "old" (we are playing 5 BBY) B2 super battle droid (could be nice to prevent my players to destroy the "person" they should save), connected with the ships computer.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how 'fatiliy' wounded she was, wouldn't that severely limit the time the co-pilot has to 'back up his mind'?
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:
Thanks for your answers! This sounds really interesting. I hadn't know all about this.

Well, clarify what I was thinking about, I should explain it a little bit more, maybe. As said, it's for a NPC. The ship of a Twi'lek with important informations for the rebellion was shot down by some pirates. The Twi'lek was fatal wounded but her co-pilot was able to transfer her mind/memories to a droid, before she finally died. Well, I was thinking about a "old" (we are playing 5 BBY) B2 super battle droid (could be nice to prevent my players to destroy the "person" they should save), connected with the ships computer.

How did you handle the skills and dice rolls, if at all, Purzelkater? Was your approach "mystical" / Force-based or technological?

Off the top of my head, were this to happen while I was GMing, I was thinking the co-pilot would have to have at least 5D
in droid programming and droid repair, along with at least 5D first aid and maybe (A) medicine, while also making a Heroic roll,
especially if this had to be done in life-or-death circumstances.
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are some examples of full-on brains in a droid body in the Legends canon, we shouldn't forget General Grevious...

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij, Purzelkater had not actually done the transfer yet... it seems to be a concept he is wanting to do for an NPC. Nothing something actually happened, just a thought..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer brain to droid? Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:

In my very first campaign, one of the PCs was a template I made that combined the tongue-tied engineer and outlaw backgrounds. A timid medical droid engineer named Dr. Wendel Grossman was shot up in his lab by a Bounty Hunter hired by the Empire for an unknown purpose. His wife and child there visiting him were killed instantly, and Dr Grossman's body was ruined and dying. With the assistance of an Alien Student of the Force who happened to be nearby, two medical droids specializing in cybernetics and an astromech with additional programming in droid repair saved Dr. Grossman's brain and successfully 'cyborged' it into a droid body (VX-7) using an experimental biotech interface. When the victim regain consciousness in his new body and discovered his family was dead, he declared Wendel Grossman dead with them and "Vendetta X-7" born, wanting nothing but revenge on the Empire. The Alien Force Student and he joined the Alliance. The Bounty Hunter (who didn't know that he his target survived in a way) ended up not being paid by the Imperial who had hired him, and he joined the Alliance too with the other two (another PC). Vendetta didn't know that the Bounty Hunter was the one who had killed his family, and the Bounty Hunter didn't realize who Vendetta really was and would only say that the reason he joined the Alliance is because the Empire didn't pay him for a job. A while into the campaign after Vendetta and the bounty hunter had become good friends, it eventually came out that the bounty hunter was one who killed the Grossmans and Vendetta was the target the bounty hunter had thought he had killed. Vendetta wanted to kill the bounty hunter, but the team was captured by a crime lord who had been owed money by the true owner of the highly modified ship they had been using since the first adventure. The whole Rebel team was going to be executed by the crime lord in his secret inner-mountain base for killing so many of his goons trying to repo the ship several times, but the Rebels were freed and separated. The Rebel bounty hunter and Jodo Kast killed each other, thus taking away Vendetta's ability to quench some of his thirst for vengeance, but redirected it all to the Empire. After the end of the group campaign, we played a couple solo adventures that resolved his character arc, but I can't remember why the Imperial wanted Wendel Grossman dead in the first place.

The droid body was some labor droid with scan resistance so he could just blend in, but there was a Robocop influence because I remember he had that leg cavity that could open revealing a heavy blaster.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at the moment it's just a NPC concept. Because it would be happend before the adventure starts, this would be "made by GM" without dice rolls. But I don't want to make thinks if they aren't technically possible on SW.

So the "transfer" should be purely technologically. And I don't want to cut out the brain from the head and build a cyborg (like Grievous), but transfer memories and minds from the biological Twi'lek brain the a electronic droid "brain" (with aid of the ship computer). And there is no need to transfer all memories or the whole personality, just... uhm... some traits and special memories.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you might want to look to either something inspired by the Ssi'ruuvi 'entechment' procedure, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Entechment , or you might want to just use something like a Rakata relic. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_prison
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Telsij, Purzelkater had not actually done the transfer yet... it seems to be a concept he is wanting to do for an NPC. Nothing something actually happened, just a thought..

Purzelkater wrote:
Yes, at the moment it's just a NPC concept. Because it would be happend before the adventure starts, this would be "made by GM" without dice rolls. But I don't want to make thinks if they aren't technically possible on SW.

So the "transfer" should be purely technologically. And I don't want to cut out the brain from the head and build a cyborg (like Grievous), but transfer memories and minds from the biological Twi'lek brain the a electronic droid "brain" (with aid of the ship computer). And there is no need to transfer all memories or the whole personality, just... uhm... some traits and special memories.

Ah, gotcha. My mistake. For whatever reason, I had read it as the transfer happening almost "on the fly" and improvised during an adventure and that Purzelkater was asking about the possibilities after the fact and about how to handle it going forward. Thanks for the clarification, Fellowship of the Pit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: