The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modelling Blackwing in D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Modelling Blackwing in D6 Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the official evidence for the Blackwing virus interacting with Force users? I've only read Death Troopers, not any of the other novels it featured in, and there were no Jedi or Sith in that one. If the virus has the ability to disguise itself from a Force healer, is this an innate ability that is always active, or is it a conscious decision by the virus' group mind? In Death Troopers, it seemed as though the virus wasn't particularly sophisticated (although I may be wrong; it has been a while).

As an aside, I'm also struck by the similarities between The Sickness / Blackwing and the hive viruses mentioned in Dark Force Rising. There isn't a lot of info about hive viruses, but it is mentioned that it has a long dormancy period followed by a simultaneous activation that affects the entire infected population more or less simultaneously. Is it possible that a hive virus was either corrupted to create the original Sickness or strain, or somehow incorporated with the Sickness to make the airborne version?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sylvre Phire
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
What is the official evidence for the Blackwing virus interacting with Force users? I've only read Death Troopers, not any of the other novels it featured in, and there were no Jedi or Sith in that one. If the virus has the ability to disguise itself from a Force healer, is this an innate ability that is always active, or is it a conscious decision by the virus' group mind? In Death Troopers, it seemed as though the virus wasn't particularly sophisticated (although I may be wrong; it has been a while).

I'm hazarding an educated guess that the source is the novel "Red Harvest" (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Harvest_(novel)).

CRMcNeill wrote:
As an aside, I'm also struck by the similarities between The Sickness / Blackwing and the hive viruses mentioned in Dark Force Rising. There isn't a lot of info about hive viruses, but it is mentioned that it has a long dormancy period followed by a simultaneous activation that affects the entire infected population more or less simultaneously. Is it possible that a hive virus was either corrupted to create the original Sickness or strain, or somehow incorporated with the Sickness to make the airborne version?

That's a possibility, though I wouldn't say "corrupted" - maybe "modified", as the quantum sensing is done on a host-by-host basis. Once the virus senses that it has enough individual organisms to overwhelm its host's immune system, it kicks in. I don't believe there's a differentiation between the two versions (airborne and bite-delivered) in regard to the quantum sensing.

Later!

Sylvre Phire
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say "corrupted" because of the Sith alchemy connection, which usually involves corrupting a natural organism of some kind.

Of the two, I think the original strain is the most likely candidate for using the hive virus as a base, since the quorum sensing seems present in some form because of how hive viruses activate.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: