The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating My Lock-On Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Updating My Lock-On Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Updating My Lock-On Rules Reply with quote

As part of my Advanced Starfighter Combat System a while back, I came up with rules for using Sensor Focus as a crucial component of firing guided missiles. Looking back on it, however, I think I made it a bit too crucial a component, as both the films and the X-Wing video game (on which these rules depend heavily) allow for the firing of guided weapons without a Lock-On.

Here's what I'm considering for an updated version:
    Skill: Sensors
    Time To Use: 1 Standard Action
    How To Use:
    -Make a Sensor Focus roll, with a base Difficulty of Easy.
    -A Lock-On attempt automatically shows up on your target's Passive sensors, so your target may try to evade the Lock-On just as if it were an attack (roll Piloting + Maneuverability against the shooter's Sensor Focus roll).
    -The Lock-On holds for one round. If the target continues to evade, you must re-roll every round to keep the Lock.
    -When firing at targets of a higher Scale, the gunner can attempt to lock-on to specific points on the target's Hull.
    Effect:
    -Fixed Guns: +2D to Fire Control
    -Rockets & Bombs: +2D to Fire Control, All Ranges Increased 50%*
    -Gimballed Guns: +3D to Fire Control
    -Missiles, Torpedoes & Guided Bombs: +4D to Fire Control, All Ranges Doubled*
    Note: Lock-On Bonuses to Fire Control have already been incorporated into existing warhead stats.

*When firing at Long Range while Locked-On, the weapon does not attack until the beginning of the next round, which requires the launching craft to maintain Lock-On for the full round.

The main reason I set the bonuses so high is to counteract the MAPs incurred by adding an additional Standard Action to the Gunnery and Piloting skill rolls the character will already be making.

This rule would be universally applicable for all ordnance, all the way up to Capital-Scale, which will necessitate some changes in my stats. The big thing I like is that it adds a definite advantage to missile armed ships: range. A ship with heavy missile launchers that gets a Lock-On could potentially hit targets out to 120 SUs, which is a bit of a game changer.

As part of this, I'm also thinking of dividing Launchers and Torpedo Tubes into Light and Heavy variants, with Light being Frigate-Scale and Heavy being Destroyer-Scale.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an extension of this, I'm thinking that certain weapons should be allowed to do a Passive Lock-On, using Passive Sensors instead of Focus. This fits with the usage of certain types of weapons, like heat-seeking missiles (ala the AIM-9 Sidewinder) or anti-radiation missiles (such as the AGM-45 Shrike or AGM-88 HARM).

For the purposes of the above rule, I'd say use them as written, except using the attacker's Passive Sensor Dice instead of its Focus Dice. Obviously, this will reduce the chances of success (~3D less), as well as effective range, but it will allow the attacker to maintain any stealth measures they have operating.

Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those bonuses are much too generous.
I see a sensor lock as being a more generic description, as in when an enemy ship is scanning you, you will know about it (as you said).

But wouldn't an actual sensor lock-on be dependent on an actual missile type, which gives that particular missile launcher a bonus to hit if you've managed a sensor lock with your Sensors skill roll?

I would say that standard Concussion Missiles have a potential to gain a sensor lock bonus, while a Proton Torpedo launcher does not.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random_Axe wrote:
I think those bonuses are much too generous.

They have to be, in order for there to be an advantage to taking the MAP for going for a Lock-On (in addition to the Piloting and Gunnery rolls required) in the first place. The high Fire Control and Damage is offset by the low Ammo capacity and high cost.

Quote:
I see a sensor lock as being a more generic description, as in when an enemy ship is scanning you, you will know about it (as you said).

Technically, that is Focus Mode on Sensors. It would certainly be simpler to just give missiles a high Fire Control and be done with it, but the source material for this (the X-Wing PC Game) differentiates between guided and unguided missiles; you can fire missiles unguided and hit things, but your odds are much better if you get a Lock-On first.

And since Sensor Focus Mode already covers designating a specific target, having it apply to weapons targeting is simpler than coming up with an entirely new mechanic.

Quote:
But wouldn't an actual sensor lock-on be dependent on an actual missile type, which gives that particular missile launcher a bonus to hit if you've managed a sensor lock with your Sensors skill roll?

That's why I still give missiles a Range stat. You can get a Lock-On yet still not be able to fire because the weapon doesn't have the range needed to hit the target.

Quote:
I would say that standard Concussion Missiles have a potential to gain a sensor lock bonus, while a Proton Torpedo launcher does not.

Based on what? Granted, I have taken some liberties with the source material - especially with regard to what differentiates between missiles and torpedoes - but it's pretty clear from the on-screen footage of the Battle of Yavin that torpedoes are extremely maneuverable, which means they'd work very well in combination with a guidance system, so long as they know where the target it.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Missiles have an additional bonus while in atmosphere and torpedoes get an additional bonus while in a vacuum?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Maybe Missiles have an additional bonus while in atmosphere and torpedoes get an additional bonus while in a vacuum?

Looked at that a long time ago and decided against it. Considering the circumstances for how proton torpedoes get used in the first film, though, having torpedoes be specialized shield penetrating weaponry makes for a viable option alongside more standardized missiles.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the OP to reflect some of the choices I made regarding unguided rocket / freefall bomb stats.

I'm also thinking strongly about having the Range Value for Sensor Focus be the number of targets that can be Locked On at the same time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: