The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Noghri disguised as Jawas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Noghri disguised as Jawas Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Noghri disguised as Jawas Reply with quote

I came across a passage in The Last Command in which a group of Noghri snuck into the Imperial Palace disguised as Jawas. I was struck by this idea for whatever reason. I never thought much about using either Noghri OR Jawas, but somehow Noghri disguised as Jawas struck me as a neat encounter.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen Jawas as short as heck, but Noghori as being taller (say 5ft+).. SO i loved to know HOW they were disguised that way..
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't make any sense to me, least of all because the height difference. Most striking is the question, "What would Jawas be doing in the Imperial Palace?"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
This doesn't make any sense to me, least of all because the height difference. Most striking is the question, "What would Jawas be doing in the Imperial Palace?"

Exactly. Were jawas even part of the republic, whether old or new?
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For height, the rulebooks provide:

Noghri 1.3 meters (Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook)
Jawas 0.8-1.2 meters tall (Star Wars Sourcebook 2e)

It seems to me in Episode IV there are some pretty tall Jawas standing around in the background.

But the main question is whether Jawas are ubiquitous in the Galaxy, or whether they are only found on Tatooine. I always sort of figured the former. Opinions?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

It seems to me in Episode IV there are some pretty tall Jawas standing around in the background.

But the main question is whether Jawas are ubiquitous in the Galaxy, or whether they are only found on Tatooine. I always sort of figured the former. Opinions?

I always assumed the later... we don't have any evidence that they use hyperspace travel, and their traditional dress (and the relative obscurity of their features) made it seem like they were a single-planet species.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I always figured that Jawas would never voluntarily leave Tatooine. They're notoriously skittish, especially when separated from their own kind, and family matters a great deal to them, so they don't tend to wander far from their tribal lands, never mind going offworld.

Any offworld Jawa is going to be as rare as an offworld Ewok before the Battle of Endor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point, IMO, was less that the Noghri were disguising themselves to make people think they were Jawas than it was that they were disguising themselves in a fashion that concealed their true appearance. After all, we may know about Jawas because of the Star Wars films, but if Tatooine is the backside of nowhere in the SWU, what are the odds that the galaxy at large will even know what Jawas are? Sure, there will be quite a few of the well-traveled, cosmopolitan types who will know what Jawas are, but to the rest, they'll just be one more kind of weird alien in a galaxy full of them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You want a cup of Jawa Juice?" Episode 2. There should be some offworld (tatooine) jawas how much is the question I quest. Maybe there are jawa Jawa Juice merchants running across the qalaxy.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Jawa Juice" is actually the name of a popular "health food" chain. Franchised into 372 separate systems, it is well known for its utter disregard of differing biologies in marketing itself as "healthy". In 15 different species, it's "special ingredient" is actually a potent neurotoxin that inflict 15D stun damage, hourly, until it is eliminated from the system in 3 weeks (or with a Very Difficult First Aid check).
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jawas are awesome so I have no problem with them spreading around the galaxy. Since they love scavenging and trading tech it doesn't seem completely implausible that they would do so, given the opportunity. The difficulty would be either convincing someone to give a bunch of Jawas a ride in their ship or the Jawas getting their hands on a starship to use (and I guess the training to use it, although they could arguably use a droid for that).

I now love the idea of space transport equivalent to a Sandcrawler and am going to have to put one in my game.

FWIW my mental image of Noghri was something way more robust and burly that Jawas usually appear to be, so that disguise doesn't make a lot of sense to me even if the height is roughly ok. Jawas in the Imperial Palace seems like a terrible disguise to choose anyway since a bunch of scavengers seems like they'd be very unlikely to get in, but w/e
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t imagine them having their own spacefaring vessels so much as being frequent stowaways.

Certainly if Ewoks can end up anywhere for one reason or another, Jawas can, I should think.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't think Jawas should be prevalent in the wider galaxy, I have no issue with them having "colonies" on other planets - especially in junkyards and other deserts. I have had my PCs run into Jawas on Raxus Prime, actually.

However, my conceptualization of Jawas is that they smell bad and are incessant scavengers. There is not a plausible, conceivable reason that they would ever be allowed in or near the Imperial Palace.

The Emperor doesn't care about things like Jawas and is notoriously isolated. For security reasons alone, they wouldn't be getting in - they'd walk out with anything not bolted down, AND aren't a part of the military/intelligence/political sphere that actually gets rare appointments to meet with Palpatine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Falconer wrote:

I always assumed the later... we don't have any evidence that they use hyperspace travel, and their traditional dress (and the relative obscurity of their features) made it seem like they were a single-planet species.

I agree. Most novels and other sources we see limit Jawas to just being on Tatooine.. Even wookiepedia doesn't list them as being anywhere BUT on tatooine..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Legends and SWTOR continuity - Kumumgah had spaceflight, at least, and were a servitor race to the Rakata. The Rakata almost glassed Tatooine, and the environmental damage was so bad that it turned it into its current, harsher form. The Kumumgah split into the Ghorfa (Tusken Raider) and the Jawa.

So. If the Kumumgah had a genome that was so touchy for environmental pressures to invoke comic book style evolution, then you might have independently evolved Jawa-like Kumumgah descendants. Or even tall Jawas. Or short Ghorfa. Or something completely different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: