The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

MWC-Frohad Magna Caster 970, variable power railgun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> MWC-Frohad Magna Caster 970, variable power railgun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: MWC-Frohad Magna Caster 970, variable power railgun Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Fri May 03, 2019 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was sweet.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Fri May 03, 2019 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a unique weapon, it is very interesting.

I iike the power points idea.

I'm a little dubious about the micro droid; not that it could't exist; it just doesn't seem practical compared to other options available

BUT...It's just the exact sort of optional WTF? feature that some companies might make for their eccentric do-anything weapon.

Like some of the weirder Real life shotgun, M40 GL and mortar loads!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn, for the most part, your fiction in your OP was fun to read, but you made a few errors like confusing a graticule (a network of lines representing meridians and parallels, on which a map or plan can be represented) to a reticule (a series of fine lines or fibers in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a telescope or microscope or gunsight).

And then there was stuff like "just like the famous Morellian Enforcer pistol and those who carried it, the Morellian Enforcers." That sounded to me like "a pistol called the Texas Ranger because it was used by the policemen named the Texas Rangers." Department of Redundancy Department strikes again. Mr. Green

And other stuff like "the weapon whispered to itself". This weapon is sentient enough to talk to itself? Wow. I've heard of talking swords, but talking guns? Does stuff like that even belong in Space Opera? Shocked

But overall, not a bad piece of fanfiction. Smile Cool Smile
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used 'graticule' by design, not by mistake.

"a series of fine lines or fibres in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects."

It isn't a reticule by any standard means, so I decided to use graticule instead. It might be wrong, it might be right, but it was a decision done deliberately.

Also, the redundant department of redundancy is because the .48 pistol and the law enforcement guys are both actually Morellian Enforcers. The gun is in a sense as important to the identity of Morellian Enforcers as the lightsaber is to the Jedi or the discblade is to the Zeison Sha.

"The weapon whispered to itself" is actually a reference to a pimp ballistics computer - though it is probably a limited intelligence droid. Sort of like Blue Max' somewhat overspecialized little brother.

Talking guns is very much part of Space Opera. Though my primary inspiration was probably somewhere between Judge Dredd's Lawgiver and Rogue Trooper. Both from 2000AD, incidentally.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I actually used 'graticule' by design, not by mistake.

"a series of fine lines or fibres in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects."

It isn't a reticule by any standard means, so I decided to use graticule instead. It might be wrong, it might be right, but it was a decision done deliberately.

Also, the redundant department of redundancy is because the .48 pistol and the law enforcement guys are both actually Morellian Enforcers. The gun is in a sense as important to the identity of Morellian Enforcers as the lightsaber is to the Jedi or the discblade is to the Zeison Sha.

"The weapon whispered to itself" is actually a reference to a pimp ballistics computer - though it is probably a limited intelligence droid. Sort of like Blue Max' somewhat overspecialized little brother.

Talking guns is very much part of Space Opera. Though my primary inspiration was probably somewhere between Judge Dredd's Lawgiver and Rogue Trooper. Both from 2000AD, incidentally.

Talking guns in Judge Dredd? I'm not a big fan of Judge Dredd, but a college buddy of mine (who I lost track of years ago, unfortunately) was big into the Dredd comics. I wonder if he could have confirmed this... Crying or Very sad

Truth to tell, I can't recall a single instance of talking guns. That doesn't mean they don't exist in fiction, of course, just that none of the stories I ever heard of had them. Huh.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Talking guns in Judge Dredd? I'm not a big fan of Judge Dredd, but a college buddy of mine (who I lost track of years ago, unfortunately) was big into the Dredd comics. I wonder if he could have confirmed this... Crying or Very sad

Truth to tell, I can't recall a single instance of talking guns. That doesn't mean they don't exist in fiction, of course, just that none of the stories I ever heard of had them. Huh.

Google Rogue Trooper. You'll get all the confirmation you need.

Also in the last couple seasons of Red vs Blue Caboose had an AI named Freckles downloaded into his rifle.

Doctor Who - The Moment - Is a weapon which had an operating system so sophisticated, so advanced that it was sentient and had a conscience, with telepathic abilities, enabling it to read the thoughts and memories of those who intended to use it.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

"The weapon whispered to itself".

In all honesty that phrase was one of my favourite parts.

Though I DID believe it was meant as a cool little piece of literary metaphor; as in the description of the sound of little servos adjusting or the delicate sound of a computer quietly working.

I did not think it was literally speaking whispered words.

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: