The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite Era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Favorite Era Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite era?
Old Republic
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Rise of the Empire
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Rebellion
71%
 71%  [ 30 ]
New Republic
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
New Jedi Order
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Legacy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Force Awakens
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Falconer wrote:
That’s interesting. But, for me, I still assume Legends to be the standard frame of reference, just due to the majority of available content being Legends, not to mention it’s practically synonymous with WEG Star Wars. The exception would be if I specifically wanted to do something set in the Force Awakens timeline (which I don’t think I very likely would, though there’s nothing wrong with it).

The current status for me is that Legends is valid information until proven not to be, or I decide it isn't... though the second one obviously doesn't have much impact on anyone else. So, the New Republic stuff is, to my knowledge, largely out of the picture, because TFA supercedes it (which doesn't bother me, since I have barely a passing familiarity with it), but the KOTOR stuff is still valid, both because I know it and like it, and because it's not been superceded.

+1 to both posts from me.

IIRC, in Legends continuity from roughly 2000 BBY to 1000 BBY was known as the Fourth Great Schism. It was essentially one long war between the Sith Empire and the Old Republic. as I remember, around 1500 BBY, the war had been going on so long that the Republic Senate basically mandated that until the war was over, the Chancellor had to be a Jedi Master in order to make the war effort more efficient. And then the war lasted another 500 years until the Seventh Battle of Ruusan when Kaan detonated his thought bomb and Bane slunk away to mandate the Rule of Two, and the republic was again reorganized to have a civilian Chancellor once again.

Basically all this was written to justify Lucas forgetting in Attack of the Clones that the Republic had lasted a thousand generations (as had been said in ANH) instead of a thousand years.

So yeah, anything in Legends that happened before The Phantom Menace I still consider canon unless something in the movies, TCW or Rebels contradicts it after the fact.

I especially find the Tho Yor fascinating and would love to see them canonized, but that likely won't happen now that Ahch-To is canonically the first Jedi Temple. I'm very curious to see what JJ Abrams and the rest have written in The Last Jedi to tell us about the first Jedi.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Resurgent Rakatans.
The predecessors of the Yuzhang Vong.
Nascent Hutt Empire.
That one time that the Rodians briefly got all violent and expansionist.
The Space Slug Empire.
Super-intelligent Krayt Dragon and his army of Sand People from beyond
Cylons
Hyperspace monsters
Non-Sith religious fanatics who think their use of the Force makes them special
Upstarts from a primitive world who have just enough power to make it difficult to take their phlebotinum.
The Zentraedi.
Droid uprising.
The Reapers.
The environment.
Corrupt officials.
Space Orks.

Great list!

Falconer wrote:
Well, for what it’s worth, The New Republic books for the most part take place 23-27 years before TFA.

That's just simply not true. TFA is 34 ABY, and 23 years before that is 11 ABY. Completely disregarding kid books and novellas, there are still 35 full-length adult Legends novels from 22 to 0 years before TFA takes place (12-34 ABY).

Timeline of Legends books - New Republic and New Jedi Order eras

Falconer wrote:
What happens in The New Republic era is basically the same in both timelines. The Rebellion establishes the New Republic; the Imperial Remnant signs a peace treaty and is confined to the Outer Rim. The details differ, of course, but then, they could (and would, for me) differ yet again in a RPG campaign. I would say Disney is wisely mostly leaving this time period alone, since the Thrawn and X-Wing books are so beloved, and anyway, it is neither the “present” nor the “classic” period in their timeline.

The 4-34 ABY timelines of the two universes are drastically different. Ben Solo was born in 5 ABY. Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo were born between 9-11 ABY. In canon the end of the war between the Empire and the New Republic occurs in 5 ABY, but in Legends it's in 19 ABY, a whopping 14 years of significantly different galactic history just in the fact alone. In Canon the Empire surrendered Coruscant to the New Republic in 5 ABY and nothing like the X-Wing novels happened. In canon, Luke Skywalker's new Jedi order was destroyed during this time period, and Han and Leia split up. These things are not just little details. For the 30 years after RotJ, the canon universe is a very different world than the EU.

Falconer wrote:
They even reissued the Thrawn Trilogy with new covers—uncharacteristic reverence for something supposedly non-canon.

There have been a few other Legend reissues to get new covers, but it is true that the Thrawn trilogy are probably the most highly revered SW novels. The new cover reissues serve a practical marketing purpose: They more prominently feature Thrawn in synergy with the new Zahn canon novel, Thrawn.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Rebellion / New Republic, mostly because that's what gives me most latitude in storytelling and campaigning, and where most of my favourite books are set. The New Republic slightly edges out because of the return of the Jedi Order under Luke Skywalker and the freedom to tell more kinds of stories as a result.

I stick with Legends because, like many people have posited above, there's nothing necessarily wrong with Disney continuity, but there's more available material, all the role-playing stuff we have is compatible with it, and of course it's literally the stuff I grew up with. I swear, I read more Star Wars novels under the desk in secondary school than any actual work.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
But, for me, I still assume Legends to be the standard frame of reference, just due to the majority of available content being Legends, not to mention it’s practically synonymous with WEG Star Wars.
MrNexx wrote:
The current status for me is that Legends is valid information until proven not to be, or I decide it isn't... though the second one obviously doesn't have much impact on anyone else. So, the New Republic stuff is, to my knowledge, largely out of the picture, because TFA supercedes it (which doesn't bother me, since I have barely a passing familiarity with it), but the KOTOR stuff is still valid, both because I know it and like it, and because it's not been superceded.
Scots Dragon wrote:
I stick with Legends because, like many people have posited above, there's nothing necessarily wrong with Disney continuity, but there's more available material, all the role-playing stuff we have is compatible with it, and of course it's literally the stuff I grew up with.

The continuity process for my game universe hasn't at all changed with the Disney canon reset. The live action theatrical films are the foundation. Out of all other material available, I pick and choose what exists in my world and what doesn't. I disregard or alter things that I feel contradict the films or other things I have chosen, but in some cases I just like what I came up with better. I also disregard or alter continuity that, as I see it, dramatically weakens the films. My universe is a distinct universe from both the EU and now the canon universe. Unfortunately Disney has wasted the opportunity the reset gave them to no longer produce material contradictory to the films (and to itself).

For example, it makes the most sense to me if TESB is the first time Luke and Vader come face-to-face. And TESB is most dramatic that way. The EU retro-canonized Splinter in the Mind's Eye which had Luke and Leia lightsaber battle Vader after ANH. Overall the novel wasn't bad as its own sequel to ANH (it came out before TESB and the author had no foreknowledge of TESB), but I hate that they later included it in canon despite its contradiction to film canon. I was happy this novel got flushed from canon, but then Disney turned around and created a new first Luke-Vader face-to-face encounter immediately following ANH. It's hard to believe that professional authors and continuity editors don't think it's a problem. So both encounters get disregarded for my SWU.

As one of the founding pillars of the EU, yes I use a lot of WEG, but not even it is accepted 100%. There is a lot more Legends in my SWU than non-film canon continuity, but that is by virtue of there being many more years of Legends material. Honestly I do try to not contradict anything of either universe if I can avoid it. I deal with the time period prior to 2000 years before the films very vaguely.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of discussion I just wanted to post the official Legends publishing eras:

Before the Republic (37,000 – 25,000 BBY)
Old Republic era (25,000 – 1000 BBY)
Rise of the Empire era (1000 – 0 BBY)
Rebellion era (0 – 5 ABY)
New Republic era (5 – 25 ABY)
New Jedi Order era (25 – 37 ABY)
Legacy era (37 ABY—)

Dustflier wrote:
The New Canon sets things up a little differently. The Galactic Republic was re-founded in 1032 BBY at the end of the Jedi-Sith War. The era prior to this was called the Dark Age of the Republic, during which the Republic pretty much ceased to exist.

So it reasons that in new canon, the ages are something like:

Pre-Republic (seriously old)
Old Republic (thousands of years before BBY)
Dark Age of the Republic (ending in 1032 BBY)
Galactic Republic (from 1032 - 19 BBY?)
Rise of the Empire (19 BBY? - 0 BBY)
Rebellion Era (0 BBY - 4 ABY)
New Republic Era (4 ABY +)

I appreciate the process you used to come up with this. There doesn't seem to be an official canon era system yet. The closest thing I could come up with was this, based on Wookieepedia's Canon Timeline of galactic history article:

Pre-Clone Wars ( - 22 BBY)
Clone Wars (22 - 19 BBY)
Age of the Empire period (19 BBY - 5 ABY)
• Pre-Galactic Civil War (19 BBY - 0 BBY)
• Galactic Civil War (0 BBY - 5 ABY)
Post-Galactic Civil War (5 ABY - 34 ABY)
First Order–Resistance conflict (34 ABY - )

I tend to think of time in my SWU like this...

Pre-Republic (< -25,000)
The Old Republic (-25,000 to -2,000)
The Jedi-Sith War (-2,000 to -1,000)
The Middle Republic (-1,000 to 0)
TPM (0)
Rise of the Empire (0 to 15) AOTC (10)
ROTS (15)
The Dark Times (15 to 35)
RO (35), ANH (35)
The Rebellion (35 to 41) TESB (38 ), ROTJ (40)
The New Republic (41 to 70?)
TFA (70)

Since I unconventionally put Year 0 at TPM and added a few years to my timeline, I added the film years above to give a better frame of reference.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That's just simply not true. TFA is 34 ABY, and 23 years before that is 11 ABY.

Hrm. But I do think it is true that most of the New Republic books are set at or before 11 ABY. That is the setting for The Truce at Bakura, X-Wing: Rogue Squadron (4 books), X-Wing: Wraith Squadron (3 books), The Courtship of Princess Leia, The Thrawn Trilogy, Isard’s Revenge, The Jedi Academy Trilogy, and I, Jedi.

Those are the books that anyone cares about; those are the books in which the general shape of events are, to me, not only not incompatible but actually vaguely supported by The Force Awakens. I certainly don’t mean the Callista series or The Corellian Trilogy or The Black Fleet Crisis, but, no-one really reads those, do they?

So admittedly I am claiming the “certain point of view” defense, but, I think my original statement is still defensible.

Whill wrote:
there are still 35 full-length adult Legends novels from 22 to 0 years before TFA takes place (12-34 ABY).

Well, you’re including the 20-volume Del Rey “The New Jedi Order” series (25-29 ABY), which is not, according to any timeline, part of The New Republic era but rather part of its own New Jedi Order era. I definitely agree that era is totally incompatible with Bloodline and The Force Awakens.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Well, for what it’s worth, The New Republic books for the most part take place 23-27 years before TFA.

Falconer, I see what you're saying in your previous post. If you're comparing 4 ABY - 11 ABY vs. 12 ABY - 19 ABY only, then it is 19 to 15 (full-length adult novels), so your use of the word "most" in this statement is technically correct.

Falconer wrote:
What happens in The New Republic era is basically the same in both timelines. The Rebellion establishes the New Republic; the Imperial Remnant signs a peace treaty and is confined to the Outer Rim. The details differ, of course, but then, they could (and would, for me) differ yet again in a RPG campaign. I would say Disney is wisely mostly leaving this time period alone, since the Thrawn and X-Wing books are so beloved, and anyway, it is neither the “present” nor the “classic” period in their timeline.

I think my point still stands. Now let's compare the two timelines only to 19 ABY...

Ben Solo was born in 5 ABY. Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo were born between 9-11 ABY. In canon the end of the war between the Empire and the New Republic occurs in 5 ABY, but in Legends it's in 19 ABY, a whopping 14 years of significantly different galactic history just in the fact alone. In Canon the Empire surrendered Coruscant to the New Republic per treaty in 5 ABY, and nothing like the X-Wing novel series happened. Both side began a massive military disarmament in 5 ABY.

In another thread the question was raised if the revered Thrawn Trilogy could still take place in the canon timeline. It's been a long time since I've read them, but my answer was I think yes with minor tweaking if you moved them to the within the first year after RotJ and Leia gave birth to Ben instead of Jacen and Jaina. But most of the Legends New Republic continuity just wouldn't have time to happen before the Galactic Concordance after the Battle of Jakku. I have always thought the novels were spread too far apart on the timeline, but there is still only so much continuity you can jam into a single year.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Republic, quite easily.

But when it's not that, then Rebellion all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: