The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite Era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Favorite Era Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite era?
Old Republic
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Rise of the Empire
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Rebellion
71%
 71%  [ 30 ]
New Republic
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
New Jedi Order
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Legacy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Force Awakens
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Favorite Era Reply with quote

I’m sure there are different ways of categorizing the eras, but, here’s what I’m generally going with:

Old Republic — 5000-980 BBY
Rise of the Empire (Prequel) — 89-17 BBY
Rebellion (Classic) — 15 BBY-4 ABY
New Republic — 4 ABY-19 ABY
New Jedi Order — 25 ABY-45 ABY
Legacy — 130-138 ABY
The Force Awakens — 28-34 ABY

Vote for anything for any reason.
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite time to start a campaign is still the classic 'immediate aftermath of Yavin' period. Right in the middle of all the most familiar and most fun stuff and lots of latitude for the PCs to influence events if they want to.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I voted for the Classic Era too. There's just something really compelling about rooting for the heroic underdog resistance fighting against a seemingly all-powerful evil empire.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Era Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I’m sure there are different ways of categorizing the eras, but, here’s what I’m generally going with:

Old Republic — 5000-980 BBY
Rise of the Empire (Prequel) — 89-17 BBY
Rebellion (Classic) — 15 BBY-4 ABY
New Republic — 4 ABY-19 ABY
New Jedi Order — 25 ABY-45 ABY
Legacy — 130-138 ABY
The Force Awakens — 28-34 ABY

Vote for anything for any reason.

Since this was posted in the Gamemasters forum, I voted on the basis of eras to run campaigns in. Perhaps because I've been playing this game since the 80s, the Galactic Empire is the only setting for my campaigns (before or after ANH). Now I'm interested in maybe running some single adventures in the pre-Empire era that may serves as prequels to campaigns, but that's it. Maybe I'll change my mind with the release of Episode IX, but at this time I have no interest in running campaigns (or even single adventures) in the time of that trilogy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebellion (Classic) era, every time, like Sutehp mentioned it's such a compelling era with the resistance fighting against the Empire.

My group and I have dabbled in Rise of the Empire era, but we always return eventually to Rebellion.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add another vote for rise of the rebellion. BUT i also like rise of the emprie time frame too.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, maybe I should have split up the Rebellion era into pre- and post-Yavin. Has anyone really dipped into pre-Yavin?

Another GM remarked to me that he thought post-Endor feels way more wide open than post-Yavin. I go back and forth on that. Thoughts?
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current campaign started immediately pre-Yavin, but didn't really get involved with the Rebellion until after that point.

As for my preferences, I voted for the classic Rebellion era here, but I also have a soft spot for certain parts of the Old Republic and Rise of the Empire eras.
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Hm, maybe I should have split up the Rebellion era into pre- and post-Yavin. Has anyone really dipped into pre-Yavin?

Another GM remarked to me that he thought post-Endor feels way more wide open than post-Yavin. I go back and forth on that. Thoughts?

I am trying out pre-Yavin for the very first time with this campaign that's just getting off the ground now. I guess Rogue One has given it some fresh appeal and there's something to be said for really being at the beginning of the story (even though I don't think these PCs are going to do much for the Rebellion).

Post-Endor is certainly wide-open, but it also feels thoroughly different than classic Star Wars with the power of the Empire broken and the Rebels ascendant. That's not bad, necessarily, but usually I've liked the small number of underdogs against overwhelming opposition mood of the earlier part of the story.

I don't usually have my PCs cross paths with characters from the movies too too much, but it is also nice to have the lurking threat of Vader out there for when you really need to send a 'things just got very bad' message.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite era to run in is post Endor, just because I feel like so little was laid out after the fall of the Empire. It just leaves so much more latitude for both players and GM alike.

My newest game will be during the classic rebellion era, it's been too long since I've run it, aside from Rebel Spec Force.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Rebellion era, but, thinking on it, I have run games, at least, in everything up through the New Republic era... from Old Republic on. One of my longest-running games was set after an alternate TPM that someone wrote on the internet, at betterstarwars.com

kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted for rebellion..... i see my first star wars 'the empire strike back" on cinema screen and for me is the best...and i played star wars first ed (in french).....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

Yes. It is rather much more interesting playing where the rebellion is not established and the empire is on the rise..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Falconer wrote:

Yes. It is rather much more interesting playing where the rebellion is not established and the empire is on the rise..

I'm down with pre-Yavin. It's just got to have the Empire. For me that goes from RotS to post-RotJ.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of both Rebels and Rogue One, so I wouldn't have a problem with the pre-Yavin Rebellion era either.

And now that the Ghorman Massacre has been recanonized as happening in 3 BBY along with the existence of other rebel cells besides Phoenix Squadron, there's even more pre-Yavin story potential.

Hell, in the novelization of RotS, when Palpatine declares himself Emperor and Bail Organa is about to publicly protest, Padme flat out tells Bail not to throw his life away and to start organizing secretly instead. Bail even replies that the secret resistance could take twenty years to form. Padme insists that he continue the work anyway and offhandedly mentions that she might not live to see it in any case.

Yeah, there's alot of story potential in that Dark Time era. Hell, I'm still hoping that Rebels will show us in a future season how the Rebels managed to get ahold of Incom's X-Wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: