The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firearms and force users
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Firearms and force users Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
At what point does a Blaster bolt overload the shield's ability to absorb it?

garhkal wrote:
Exactly what i was gonna ask. Does it have a set "absorb" rating? Can it be over loaded, and if so, is it treated like damage coming through cover?

I haven't yet been in a situation where it seems "unfair" that the character uses the shield. If he used it to try to stop a ship's cannons or a turbolaser or something, I'd tell him that it doesn't work like that.

So it hasn't happened yet, but if he were to use it against a withering barrage of rapid fire, it might make sense to have it flicker out or cease to work entirely.

Let's say:

If the shield is used to absorb/neutralize more than two energy attacks in a turn, it operates as lightly damaged protection (-4D to the attacker's damage roll) and only returns to full strength after a full turn without absorbing an attack.

If the shield is already operating as lightly damaged protection and absorbs more than two energy attacks in a turn, it increases to moderately damaged protection (-2D), and so on and so forth. Each subsequent decrease of capability requires an additional round to return to full strength.

Maybe we should make a new topic about this.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good..
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure if you can parry blasters, which travel at near lightspeed, parrying bullets would be much easier. Jedi don't parry at light speed, they sense where the attack wil come at them before it arrives, so the speed of the attack is meaningless. Whether the bullet is deflected or destroyed is also meaningless.

I go with this, because to choose otherwise is to break continuity with the Star Wars universe. Or, said another way, if Jedi couldn't deflect bullets, then someone would have figured that out long ago and it would be the standard method for killing Jedi. But, since that wasn't shown in the movies...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, bullets don't travel as fast as 'light speed' but neither do blaster shots based on on screen imagry.. Heck a tracer round travels about the same speed...
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shield is much, much wider than a lightsaber. It doesn't take much skill to position a nearly human-sized object between you and a single person shooting at you. It's literally just ducking behind cover, except the cover moves with you.

Swatting a bullet with a yard stick is another thing entirely.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but bullets can be made to penetrate armor!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or, since the Jedi has Lightsaber Combat up (so he can sense the attack before it arrives), he can use telekenesis to deflect the bullets so they miss - or catch and hold them ala Matrix.

This might also explain why they're not used as the standard Jedi killing tool.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what would the diff be for velocity? WE know Mass has some major mods, but what of speed?
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
...or, since the Jedi has Lightsaber Combat up (so he can sense the attack before it arrives), he can use telekenesis to deflect the bullets so they miss - or catch and hold them ala Matrix.

This is actually shown in Dark Horse's Dawn of the Jedi comic, where blaster and laser technology is pretty much absent from the various non-Force-using communities of the Tython system and they rely mostly on bullets to provide ranged weapons. Granted the Je'daii don't have lightsabres at this point either and use swords instead. The Je'daii go about deflecting bullets by way of telekinesis pretty much as effortlessly as their blaster-bolt deflection in later eras.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:

If one is going strictly by the letter of the RAW, this would require a new power, likely a CSA power with TK and LSC as prerequisites, as TK is limited to objects in line of sight. Since a bullet moves far faster than the eye can track on its own, basic TK can't affect it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Volar the Healer wrote:

If one is going strictly by the letter of the RAW, this would require a new power, likely a CSA power with TK and LSC as prerequisites, as TK is limited to objects in line of sight. Since a bullet moves far faster than the eye can track on its own, basic TK can't affect it.

I wouldn't make lightsaber combat into a prerequisite because, as I said, Jedi were using a similar power millennia before lightsabers were a thing.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know what, let's try this out.

Ballistic Defence
Sense Difficulty: Moderate
Alter Difficulty: Easy
Required Powers: Combat sense, danger sense, life detection, telekinesis
This power may be 'kept up'.

Effect: Developed in the millennia before the invention of the lightsaber, ballistic defence allowed for many of the early Jedi Knights to defend themselves against primitive projectile weapons. It allows for a Jedi to sense any incoming weapons-fire and thrown projectiles, and defend themselves through telekinetic forces.

Like with the similarly-orientated lightsaber combat, this power is called upon at the start of a battle and remains up until the Jedi is stunned or injured. A Jedi who has been injured or stunned may attempt to bring the power back up.

If the Jedi is successful in using this power, they may add their sense dice to their dodge skill roll while attempting to avoid ranged attacks, allowing deflection of bullets and other projectiles by way of telekinesis. If unsuccessful with the power roll, the Jedi must rely purely on dodge to defend themselves, and may not attempt to use the power again for the duration of the combat.

The Jedi may also attempt to control where deflected projectiles go; this is a reaction skill and counts as an additional action. (The Jedi cannot full parry while attempting to control deflected projectiles.) The Jedi must declare which specific shot they're controlling, then once the roll is made to see if the projectile is parried, the Jedi makes an alter roll, with the difficulty being the new target's dodge or the range (figured from the Jedi to the target). The damage is that of the original projectile, plus half the Jedi's alter dice.

Notes: I didn't make it a control power because ultimately, the purpose of the control dice was manipulating the lightsaber while the telekinetic nature of this means that it ought to use alter in place of that. The deflected projectiles doing more damage is a function of being able to basically add a bit of extra telekinetic push to the projectiles in question, which makes up for the fact that this doesn't include the control-dice-to-lightsaber-damage aspect.

I figure since this is mostly a defensive power, similarly to lightsaber combat, that using deflected bullets to attack in combat wouldn't actually incur dark side points unless used against innocent people. Much in the same way that deflected blaster bolts don't involve that as being much of an issue.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i understand that power right, if i shoot a force user with it up, they get their dodge + sense to avoid being shot, or TK + sense to deflect? Or is that melee parry + sense??
Also, if they fail to dodge it/block it with it up, they are still hit.. They don't then get a regular dodge..?

And with Mod/Easy as the activation difficulties, seems a little low to me. Especially since bullets can come in at you VERY fast (like sonic boom breaking!)
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if i understand that power right, if i shoot a force user with it up, they get their dodge + sense to avoid being shot, or TK + sense to deflect? Or is that melee parry + sense??
Also, if they fail to dodge it/block it with it up, they are still hit.. They don't then get a regular dodge..?

Dodge+Sense to avoid being shot. They don't then get a regular dodge because this is just like the lightsaber combat power; it's basically 'add sense dice to your Dodge roll' rather than adding another layer of defence entirely. They do get a regular dodge if they fail to activate the power in the first place because, again, this is just like the lightsaber combat power and in fact I took a lot of the wording from there specifically to keep it consistent.

Alter is used to aim any shots deflected to hit other people, and you add half of your dice to damage because bullets can be affected more by the concept of momentum than, say, a blaster bolt would be.

Quote:
And with Mod/Easy as the activation difficulties, seems a little low to me. Especially since bullets can come in at you VERY fast (like sonic boom breaking!)

Jedi in Star Wars have been shown as pretty casually deflecting bullets in the past.

The difficulty requirements are taken directly from lightsaber combat, and blaster bolts don't actually move all that slower than bullets, they just appear to because they're more visible. Lightsaber combat has an easy sense requirement and a moderate control requiremennt; I moved those around a bit, and added a few extra required powers.

It's also very marginal as concepts go, since not many foes in Star Wars even bother to carry slugthrowers even though they are a widely available weapons technology. If they're effective against Jedi, tou'd think it would be more prudent to carry them when Jedi have at times made up one of the most major peacekeeping forces in the galaxy. However, even with Jedi being as blaster-immune as they are, the majority of foes don't even consider bullets to be an option.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be using a comic as a source for "jedi have been shown to be casual about deflecting them".. Artistic license in comics is one thing. Converting that as gospel into a game is another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: