The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill overload
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Skill overload Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same argument's been made for why have a firearm skill, archaic weapon skill (black powder weapons like flintlocks etc), blaster skill etc.. WHY not just do a 'single ranged weapon skill...
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildfire

Two reason for no list.

1 I do all my posting from a smart phone and typing with my fat thumbs is really hard.

2 I wanted others to think of skills off the top of their head, my thought would be that remembered skills would be to most relevant.

But mostly #1
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off-topic, but...

Griff, you have fat thumbs???

...have you tried working out? Mr. Green
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Wildfire

Two reason for no list.

1 I do all my posting from a smart phone and typing with my fat thumbs is really hard.

2 I wanted others to think of skills off the top of their head, my thought would be that remembered skills would be to most relevant.

But mostly #1

No worries, thought you might have it in a handy document to post but wouldn't want to have to type that many skills out Smile
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason Number Three

I am so computer illiterate that I have them all listed in composition notebooks I got from the dollar store.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, but what do you have under STR so far?
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrobatics, bite, brawling, burrowing, cleaning, climbing, dancing, digging, flying, gliding, jumping, lifting, running, shape shifting, stamina, swimming, throwing, tunnelling.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bite and brawl as 2 separate skills Same with Tunneling and burrowing?

Or glide/flight?
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite is for the strength of one's jaw ie the acrobatic that holds on to the thing with her teeth in the circus. Burrowing is what Bugs Bunny does when travelling, I see this a kin to running and swimming. Tunnelling is what the drug smugglers to between Cali and Mexico. Gliding is to Flying as a "flying" squrral (which jumps from a hight and glides) to a humming bird (which creates its own lift).
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't combine skills as much as expand one when I replaced "Walker Operation" with "Heavy Equipment Operation". It covers walkers and by default Star Wars equivalents of construction equipment. So it is a " operate stuff while wearing hard hat" skill.

Vehicle blasters and missle weapons became vehicle gunnery, a speeder/ walker gunnery skill under Mechanical. Blaster Artillery went away and stationary weapons are operated by their scale appropriate gunnery skills

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to reduce my Skill list.

I combine:
Droid Skills
Computer Skills
Attack/Parry Skills.
Repulsor/Swoop

I've considered combining:
Species/Cultures
Bureaucracy/Business or Business/Bargain
thletics (Str) and Acrobatics (Dex) to roll a few of the physical skills together.
I also thought Astrogation could even be a specialization under a new Knowledge 'Navigation' and I'd like to roll Communications into something else given that it's such a soft skill (at least in my games).

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a good argument for combining Alien Species and Cultures. If AS were strictly physiological, the argument wouldn't be there, but as is, there's no reason to take one if you have the other.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I think there's a good argument for combining Alien Species and Cultures. If AS were strictly physiological, the argument wouldn't be there, but as is, there's no reason to take one if you have the other.

I disagree.. Knowing the alien species you are looking at is one thing, knowing some of their culture is different.

However his idea of combining business and bureaucracy, or astrogation with planetary systems is intriguing, but imo wouldn't work as well, since you are combining 2 skills from 2 different attributes, unlike with business/bureaucracy.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I disagree.. Knowing the alien species you are looking at is one thing, knowing some of their culture is different.

Especially since, strictly speaking, there's no reason why two different Twi'leks should necessarily have the same culture at all. I doubt I have the same culture as many people in this thread, and we're all the same species.

Presumably.

I don't know for certain that none of you are crash survivors from Roswell playing about with sci-fi role playing games out of home sickness, but I'm pretty sure it's unlikely.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a case for combining alien species with cultures: identifying a species might be on the lowest end of the difficulty spectrum such that the basick knowledge attribute would suffice to succeed on the roll(or perhaps in most cases, a difficulty of 0), whereas knowing anything specific about the species is higher difficulty. For example, knowing about pre-meal customs of a group you have never met before would require you to have learned/studied it somewhere.

I suppose its kind of like anything really: if you know the difference between GM's magetorehological suspension and Dodge's gas-piston suspension, is it likely that you wont also know the difference between a Corvette and a Viper?

On the other hand, it would be a rare person indeed who doesnt know one car from the other but DOES know what kind of suspension a Corvette has and a Viper has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: