The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Navy and Army intro/overview for players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Imperial Navy and Army intro/overview for players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Imperial Navy and Army intro/overview for players Reply with quote

I'm trying to rewrite the overview from the Imperial Sourcebook to bring it closer to the current information with regards to the Clone wars etc. I've got to the point of needing a second opinion so am posting it here, first the navy and then the Army in the second post.

Imperial Navy
The Navy has grown enormously since the decline of the Old Republic, but its mission has largely stayed the same: to free the system space of member worlds from hazards to profitable commerce, to assure the safety of member worlds from attack from outside forces, and to bolster the planetary governments in times of crisis. This last mission has grown more difficult since the rise of the New Order.
Under the Republic, the Navy could move in and put down unrest in a system, secure in the knowledge that the majority of the governed species welcomed their intervention. The New Order has changed the attitudes on many of the constituent worlds. While the vastly increased firepower available to the Navy has so far been more than adequate to compensate for any increase in hostilities, the willingness of member worlds to resist the New Order is expected to be a greater problem in the future.

Changes in Civilian Command Structure
Planetary governments had the right to call upon the Navy of the Old Republic in emergencies. They would simultaneously petition the Senate for aid for longer campaigns.
Since the disbanding of the Senate, the navy is no longer required to respond to requests from planetary governments, including the planetary governors appointed by the Empire. Under new doctrine, individual planets are too insignificant to allow them direct control over an asset as important as the Imperial Navy, even for short periods of time.
Civilian orders are now transmitted at the level of the Sector Group, from regional Moffs, Grand Moffs or the Emperor himself. Smaller units are to receive their orders only from officers in the proper chain of command. This is a definite change from the Republican Navy, when Senators or other politically powerful being (Jedi’s) could directly commandeer naval vessels – sometimes entire squadrons – for missions without having the order come down through the chain of command.
This change has greatly boosted the morale of naval personnel. The officers now know that the strategy is being set at a level of authority which is best suited for seeing the whole picture. Naval commanders have the authority and responsibility to execute their orders in the best manner possible, and know they shall be free from political interference while doing so.

Naval Command Structure
The Navy has responded to its rapid growth by changing its command structure, introducing intermediate levels of command which did not exist in the Republican Navy. Most of the junior level officers were promoted to these intermediate levels, while the senior officers kept their ranks but had the scope of their command enlarged. An admiral in the Imperial Navy commands forces over 10 times as great as an admiral did during the Old Republic.

Equipment
Equipment designs proliferated under the Old Republic, especially during the Clone Wars, in the aftermath of the war theses designs where utilised by the New Order. A massive rearmament program was instituted soon afterwards, leading to even more designs.
The Navy has received new top-of-the-line equipment throughout the upper ranks of the Imperial fleet. Only in the lower, system-level units does the older, less-standardised equipment appear in large quantities.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperial Army
During the days of the Old Republic the Army consisted mainly of Clone forces. During the Clone wars many volunteers, conscripts and transfers from other Republic forces enlisted and were used to augmented the clones of the Grand Army. After the war the surviving clones troopers formed the backbone Stormtrooper Corps, leaving the Imperial Army clone-free and primed to dedicate itself to the mission of surface superiority.
Imperial Army troopers are the most common ground forces in the Imperial Military, while the more famous Stormtroopers are undeniably the elite of the ground forces, army troopers substantially outnumber them. They form the backbone of all planetary garrisons on occupied worlds.
Army troopers also pilot all the Empire’s heavy vehicles, including All Terrain Armoured Transport and All Terrain Scout Transport walkers.
The goal of the Imperial Army was surface superiority during instances of ground warfare, and were equipped with the means of seizing and defending a planet. While the Imperial Navy controlled space and the Stormtrooper Corps led assaults and established bridgeheads, only the Imperial Army was capable of deploying the heavy equipment and sustaining the long operations required to gain control of planets. As such, the Army encompassed various infantry, armoured cavalry, special forces, artillery operators, engineers, scouts, and drivers that came to number in the tens of trillions. This also meant that while they were capable of decisive planetary operations and sustained surface superiority, it took longer to deploy their specialized formations and heavy equipment than other branches of the Imperial Military.

Changes in Civilian Command Structure
The Army used to be almost exclusively under the command of the planetary governments of the worlds on which they served. This was due to necessity more than anything else; most worlds had an arrangement whereby they paid half the expenses and provided half the material of any Army unit engaged in operations on their world, unlike the Navy whose expenses were paid for by the Republic as a whole. This one difference was perhaps the major cause for the decline of the Army. The worlds which needed help from the Republic and were not among the wealthiest continually complained about the cost of surface forces deployed on their planets. The average amount spent on the Army plummeted while the Navy’s expenditures remained constant.
With the New order, and especially since the abolishment of the Senate, the Army has become the physical manifestation of he Empire throughout the galaxy. Whether black-clad Imperial soldiers or white -armoured stormtroopers, the Imperial Army has grown into the mailed fist that pounds the thousand-thousand worlds of the Galactic Empire into submission.

The Army Command Structure
The Army took a different tack from the Navy when it experienced its phenomenal growth, The army kept its ranks the same, but increased the number of subordinate officers for each rank above. This decreased the ratio of officers to troops and gave the Imperial Army a very lean fighting force.
The establishment of the New Order gave the Army the opportunity to clear out its deadwood as well as remove those officers who might be ideologically opposed to the new regime. Over three-quarters of the Army's officers were weeded out during the first days of the New Order.
Since the Battle of Yavin, the two forces have been moved closer together as regular Army detachments have been assigned to Navy vessels to create more complete combat units.

Equipment
Just as the Navy made use of equipment left over from the Clone Wars, the Army also made great use of the Grand Army of the Republic’s left over equipment. As always during a war the development of new weapons continued apace. The fruits of this research has been used to equip the Imperial Army.
Since the disbanding of the Senate and the Battle of Yavin, no expense has been too great for the Empire. The Emperor has ordered the pace of military build up – already staggering since the start of the New Order –increased even more. He does not want his forces found lacking when the next battle takes place.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my corrections for the Navy section of your post:

wildfire wrote:
They would simultaneously petition the Senate for aid for longer campaigns.
Is this supposed to read “They would simultaneously petition the Senate for aid and for longer campaigns.”? I added the “and” because “simultaneously” means “happening at the same time” and it wasn’t clear from your wording that the Senate petitioning for aid and petitioning for longer campaigns were two different things happening at the same time.

wildfire wrote:
Since the disbanding of the Senate, the navy is no longer required to respond to requests from planetary governments, including the planetary governors appointed by the Empire.

This is flat out wrong. Those planetary governors “appointed by the Empire” are the Moffs and Grand Moffs running the Empire. The Moffs and Grand Moffs are the reason the Empire can still be ruled and administered by the Empire once the bureaucracy of the Imperial Senate is disbanded. The Moffs and Grand Moffs specifically have the ability to call upon the Empire’s military assets, both army and navy.

wildfire wrote:
other politically powerful being (Jedi’s)

The word “being” should be plural. And “Jedi’s” is possessive, not plural, so change “Jedi’s” to “such as Jedi”. Remember, the word “Jedi” is both singular and plural. There’s no such word as “Jedis”.

wildfire wrote:
An admiral in the Imperial Navy commands forces over 10 times as great as an admiral did during the Old Republic.

Change “great” to “large” because “greatness” is too subjective a term; it makes more sense to refer to a force’s size instead when discussing a military’s order of battle.

wildfire wrote:
Equipment designs proliferated under the Old Republic, especially during the Clone Wars, in the aftermath of the war theses designs where utilised by the New Order.

This is a run-on sentence. Either put a semicolon between “Wars” and “in”, or make them separate sentences.

Here are my corrections for the Army section of your post:

wildfire wrote:
During the days of the Old Republic the Army consisted mainly of Clone forces.

The word “clone” isn’t usually capitalized unless referring to “the Clone Wars.”

wildfire wrote:
During the Clone wars many volunteers, conscripts and transfers from other Republic forces enlisted and were used to augmented the clones of the Grand Army. After the war the surviving clones troopers formed the backbone Stormtrooper Corps, leaving the Imperial Army clone-free and primed to dedicate itself to the mission of surface superiority.

Capitalize “wars”. Change “augmented” to “augment” for the proper verb tense. Put a comma at the end of the phrase “After the war”. Insert “of the” after “backbone”.

wildfire wrote:
They form the backbone of all planetary garrisons on occupied worlds.

You just used the word “backbone” only two sentences ago. It looks awkward to use the same metaphor so soon. Try to come up with a different way of saying this.

wildfire wrote:
The goal of the Imperial Army was surface superiority during…

You suddenly shifted into the past tense during this paragraph when up until now when describing the current state of the Imperial military you used the present tense. Why the change in tense? The simplest way to fix this is to change “was” to “is”. With this change, the rest of the paragraph is ok.

wildfire wrote:
With the New order,

Capitalize the word “order”.

wildfire wrote:
With the New order, and especially since he abolishment of the Senate,

This is a wide range of time. The establishment of Palpatine’s New Order happened in 19 BBY, when he declared the start of the Empire. The disbanding of the Senate happened offscreen during the events of A New Hope (circa 0 BBY). Tarken mentions this directly when he mentions the last remnants of the Old republic being “swept away.” So there is a 19 year gap that you are referencing here. Did it really take 19 years for the Imperial Army to become “the physical manifestation of the Empire throughout the galaxy”? Also “he” needs to be “the”.

wildfire wrote:
Whether black-clad Imperial soldiers or white -armoured stormtroopers, the Imperial Army has grown into the mailed fist that pounds the thousand-thousand worlds of the Galactic Empire into submission.

The black-clad soldiers are Naval troopers, not Army. The Imperial Army troopers wear grey uniforms. Thus, “black-clad” should be “grey-clad” (or “gray-clad” depending on which spelling you prefer). Also, no space between “white” and “-armored”.

wildfire wrote:
when it experienced its phenomenal growth,

Change the comma to a period.

wildfire wrote:
Just as the Navy made use of equipment left over from the Clone Wars, the Army also made great use of the Grand Army of the Republic’s left over equipment.

The first “left over” is fine; the second “left over” is an adjective and needs to be a single word (i.e. "leftover").

wildfire wrote:
As always during a war the development of new weapons continued apace.

Put a comma after “war”.

wildfire wrote:
The Emperor has ordered the pace of military build up – already staggering since the start of the New Order –increased even more. He does not want his forces found lacking when the next battle takes place.

Put a space between the second hyphen and “increased”.

Apologies for the wall of text. Hope these grammar corrections help.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planetary governors were actually a step below Moffs, who were responsible for entire sectors, not just individual planets. The Empire just moved the Navy up a ring on the ladder of autonomy and accountability.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Planetary governors were actually a step below Moffs, who were responsible for entire sectors, not just individual planets. The Empire just moved the Navy up a ring on the ladder of autonomy and accountability.

Is there a citation on Wookieepedia for this? Not that I doubt your word, CRM, I just want to see it for myself. I'm wondering if planetary governors are part of the civilian government, and that's why they can't access military assets the way that Moffs and Grand Moffs can.

Also, I want to confirm that "planetary governors" are civilian and are not the same thing as "regional governors" (a term I suspect is another way to refer to the Moffs and Grand Moffs). One also has to remember that local government of individual planets in the Republic/Empire is quite variable (Naboo and Alderaan having elected monarchies, or at least an "elected Queen"; other planets have federation-type governments; etc.) See the WEG Planet Collection books for references to the different types of planet governments. The only thing all the planets in the Empire have in common is a representative in the Senate (before it was disbanded in 0 BBY) and/or an Imperial governor of some kind (appointed by the Emperor anytime after Empire Day but before the Senate was disbanded).

So, to confirm also: Moffs are sector governors and Grand Moffs are Oversector governors? Is that how it works?
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the corrections Smile my grammar isn't the best and coupled with writing this up very late at night is why I'm grateful for a second set of eyes.

My reading is a Moff controls a sector while governors only run a planet and as such are outside the normal chain of command which runs through the Moff. Info from Imperial sourcebook 2nd edition and wookiepedia.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this make more sense?

Planetary governments had the right to call upon the Navy of the Old Republic in emergencies. When a longer campaign was necessary they would simultaneously petition the Senate for aid, while the Navy responded.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Here are my corrections for the Navy section of your post:

Here are my corrections for the Army section of your post:

wildfire wrote:
With the New order, and especially since he abolishment of the Senate,

This is a wide range of time. The establishment of Palpatine’s New Order happened in 19 BBY, when he declared the start of the Empire. The disbanding of the Senate happened offscreen during the events of A New Hope (circa 0 BBY). Tarken mentions this directly when he mentions the last remnants of the Old republic being “swept away.” So there is a 19 year gap that you are referencing here. Did it really take 19 years for the Imperial Army to become “the physical manifestation of the Empire throughout the galaxy”? Also “he” needs to be “the”.

Kinda aiming for the impression that when people think of the Empire they think gray clad troopers and stormtroopers.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Is there a citation on Wookieepedia for this? Not that I doubt your word, CRM, I just want to see it for myself. I'm wondering if planetary governors are part of the civilian government, and that's why they can't access military assets the way that Moffs and Grand Moffs can.

Also, I want to confirm that "planetary governors" are civilian and are not the same thing as "regional governors" (a term I suspect is another way to refer to the Moffs and Grand Moffs). One also has to remember that local government of individual planets in the Republic/Empire is quite variable (Naboo and Alderaan having elected monarchies, or at least an "elected Queen"; other planets have federation-type governments; etc.) See the WEG Planet Collection books for references to the different types of planet governments. The only thing all the planets in the Empire have in common is a representative in the Senate (before it was disbanded in 0 BBY) and/or an Imperial governor of some kind (appointed by the Emperor anytime after Empire Day but before the Senate was disbanded).

So, to confirm also: Moffs are sector governors and Grand Moffs are Oversector governors? Is that how it works?

Yes. It's rather lazy to ask for someone else to cite Wookieepedia when you're fully capable of going there and looking yourself. Here's my one-time freebee. Don't say I never did anything for you. Wink

Imperial Governors...

Wookieepedia wrote:
The Empire left the self-government of many planets intact, especially those that were either indifferent or supportive of the New Order (such as Naboo and Corellia). Less than 1/80th of all planets had their governments altered. Planets that rebelled, were deemed hostile to the New Order, or newly-annexed by the Empire, had governors appointed. Certain worlds that had senators who were deemed less than loyal to the Emperor were sometimes assigned governors, despite the opposition of their senator... Other worlds, which were further away from Coruscant, such as Bakura, retained their government with only minor changes, but also had an appointed governor. The Empire also kept the position of Lieutenant Governor. Except for a few governors chosen by Palpatine, Imperial Governors were selected by the Imperial Ruling Council and received most orders from the Diplomatic Services... For Imperial governors of sectors and oversectors, see Moff.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Yes. It's rather lazy to ask for someone else to cite Wookieepedia when you're fully capable of going there and looking yourself. Here's my one-time freebee. Don't say I never did anything for you. Wink

Ezra Bridger wrote:
Thanks for doing the heavy lifting!
Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: