The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updated/Modified Character Movement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Updated/Modified Character Movement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Updated/Modified Character Movement Reply with quote

I have been kicking around some ideas for semi-updating character movement in an attempt to make it easier to understand and easier. I started with renaming Movement Speeds to Movement Types. These being Cautious, Walking, Jogging, Running and Sprinting. Each of these types of movement modifies the Movement Rate and Base Difficulty. This is in turn modified by the terrain type. These have also been renamed to make them easier to understand. Easy, Moderate, Difficult, Hazardous, Dangerous, and Deadly.

Movement Type (Base Difficulty): Notes
Cautious (-5): 1/2 Movement Rate, does not count as an action but counts as movement for the round
Walking (+0): Movement Rate, counts as one action and movement for the round.
Jogging (+5): x2 Movement Rate, counts as one action and movement for the round.
Running (+10): x3 Movement Rate, counts as one action and movement for the round.
Sprint (+15): x4 Movement Rate, cannot perform any additional actions including defenses

Terrain Type (Difficulty Modifiers): Notes
Easy Terrain (+0): flat surface, smooth water, using a ladder, light breeze, light rain or fog
Moderate Terrain (+5): uneven surface, small obstacles, choppy water, climbing a tree, strong winds, heavy rain or fog
Rough Terrain (+10): large but negotiable obstacles, strong undercurrent, climbing a rough wall, flying near unyielding obstacles such as pillars or trees
Very Rough Terrain (+15): dense and large obstacles, stormy weather, a few airborne hazards, hail
Hazardous Terrain (+20): minefield, narrow walkway, many airborne hazards, large waves, climbing a smooth surface, complete darkness
Very Hazardous Terrain (+25 or more): corridor filled with falling debris and explosions, swimming or flying in a hurricane

If the player fails the roll they move half the declared distance. If Crushing Defeat (-15 below target number) or a 1 on the Wild Die, the GM may give the the character a Complication. Refer to R&E (page 103, 106) or REUP (page 109) for ideas. Alternatively, calculate the difference by which the roll failed and refer to Movement Failures located on the pages previously cited.

Note that if a difficulty number is 0 the Dexterity check is automatic.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Cautious movement though Rough to Very Hazardous Terrain not count as movement, or did you intend to limit that to Easy and Moderate terrain, per R&E?

Overall, I like the numbers, but in reference to the above question, I would make a suggestion: Movement is free IF the difficulty is 0 or less... so, cautious movement in Easy or Moderate Terrain, or Walking movement in Easy terrain... so you can move at a walk down an empty corridor without distraction, or carefully across an open but natural field, but anything faster and you're going to run into MAP.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Does Cautious movement though Rough to Very Hazardous Terrain not count as movement, or did you intend to limit that to Easy and Moderate terrain, per R&E?

Overall, I like the numbers, but in reference to the above question, I would make a suggestion: Movement is free IF the difficulty is 0 or less... so, cautious movement in Easy or Moderate Terrain, or Walking movement in Easy terrain... so you can move at a walk down an empty corridor without distraction, or carefully across an open but natural field, but anything faster and you're going to run into MAP.

I had not thought of that but in hindsight I would say if the difficulty number is 0 its an automatic success. Similar to the idea if you do not have dice left in a dice pool after you calculate your MAPs you cannot perform the skill. It would be easy enough to make a note of this in the description. I really appreciate you pointing this out. The more I look at this modified version the better I like it. It really simplifies movement and uses clear terms that can easily be understood, removing language that needs to be explained.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Long Distance Movement rules change to fit with this?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I had not thought of that but in hindsight I would say if the difficulty number is 0 its an automatic success. Similar to the idea if you do not have dice left in a dice pool after you calculate your MAPs you cannot perform the skill. It would be easy enough to make a note of this in the description. I really appreciate you pointing this out. The more I look at this modified version the better I like it. It really simplifies movement and uses clear terms that can easily be understood, removing language that needs to be explained.

By the Force, I worded that horribly.

To clarify further, "0 Difficulty counts as movement, but not an action", yes?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets say i have a PC who is wanting to jog (+5 diff, double move rate) through Rough terrain (Street sidewalks, parking lots +10 diff) as part of some free-running thing. What exactly is my end diff?? 15?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
To clarify further, "0 Difficulty counts as movement, but not an action", yes?

Per RAW movement is an action, but if moving at cautious speed and in Very, Easy or Moderate terrain it does not count as an action, but it does count as movement. This is important as you only get to move once in a round.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So lets say i have a PC who is wanting to jog (+5 diff, double move rate) through Rough terrain (Street sidewalks, parking lots +10 diff) as part of some free-running thing. What exactly is my end diff?? 15?

Correct.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems kind of on the low side to me.. Especially going double move through it.. If anything i could see those mods based on a BASE diff of 5.. Then you add/subtract from there.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That seems kind of on the low side to me.. Especially going double move through it.. If anything i could see those mods based on a BASE diff of 5.. Then you add/subtract from there.

Okay, but how does that stack up against the RAW?

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Okay, but how does that stack up against the RAW?

Quote:
RAW Movement
Cautious (1/2 move)
Very Easy: "free" action, automatic success
Easy: "free" action, automatic success
Moderate: free" action, automatic success
Difficult: 15+, counts as an action
Very Difficult: 20+, counts as an action
Heroic: 25+, counts as an action

Cruising (x1 move)
Very Easy: 5+, counts as action, automatically succeeds
Easy: 10+, counts as action, automatically succeeds
Moderate: 15+, counts as action, automaticall succeeds
Difficult: 20+, counts as action, must make a skill roll
Very Difficult: 25+, counts as action, must make a skill roll
Heroic: 35+, counts as action, must make a skill roll

High Speed (x2 move)
Very Easy: 5+, counts as an action
Easy: 10+, counts as an action
Moderate: 15+, counts as an action
Difficult: 20+, counts as an action
Very Difficult: 25+, counts as an action
Heroic: 35+, counts as an action

All-Out (x4 move)
Very Easy: 10+, counts as an action
Easy: 15+, counts as an action
Moderate: 20+, counts as an action
Difficult: 35+, counts as an action
Very Difficult: 45+, counts as an action
Heroic: 55+, counts as an action

Quote:
Updated & Expanded Movement v.1
Cautious (1/2 move)
Easy: -5 "free" action, automatic success
Moderate: 0 "free" action, automatic success
Rough: 5+
Very Rough: 10+
Hazardous: 15+
Very Hazardous: 20+

Walking (x1 move)
Easy: 0 "free" action, automatic success
Moderate: 5+
Rough: 10+
Very Rough: 15+
Hazardous: 20+
Very Hazardous: 25+

Jogging (x2 move)
Easy: 5+
Moderate: 10+
Rough: 15+
Very Rough: 20+
Hazardous: 25+
Very Hazardous: 30+

Running (x3 move)
Easy: 10+
Moderate: 15+
Rough: 20+
Very Rough: 25+
Hazardous: 30+
Very Hazardous: 35+

Sprint (x4 move)
Easy: 15+
Moderate: 20+
Rough: 25+
Very Rough: 30+
Hazardous: 35+
Very Hazardous: 40+

Looking at this, I am thinking or renaming and dropping one.

Quote:
Updated & Expanded Movement v.2
Cautious (1/2 move)
Easy: -5 "free" action, automatic success
Moderate: 0 "free" action, automatic success
Rough: 5+
Very Rough: 10+
Hazardous: 15+
Very Hazardous: 20+

Walking (x1 move)
Easy: 0 "free" action, automatic success
Moderate: 5+
Rough: 10+
Very Rough: 15+
Hazardous: 20+
Very Hazardous: 25+

Running (x2 move)
Easy: 5+
Moderate: 10+
Rough: 15+
Very Rough: 20+
Hazardous: 25+
Very Hazardous: 30+

Sprinting (x4 move)
Easy: 10+
Moderate: 15+
Rough: 20+
Very Rough: 25+
Hazardous: 30+
Very Hazardous: 35+

@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing up those comparisons.. IN that case Whamps reimagining looks ok..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

I like the rules, but I particularly liked the addition of a x3 speed option. Most real life animals have a long distance run speed that is around 80-90% of their maximum speed, so this would've filled in that massive gap between x2 and x4 very nicely.

An alternate possibility would be dropping All-Out for characters and creatures down to x3, then providing a bonus to Speed based on how well the character rolled their Running skill...

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Hmm...

I like the rules, but I particularly liked the addition of a x3 speed option. Most real life animals have a long distance run speed that is around 80-90% of their maximum speed, so this would've filled in that massive gap between x2 and x4 very nicely.

An alternate possibility would be dropping All-Out for characters and creatures down to x3, then providing a bonus to Speed based on how well the character rolled their Running skill...

Yeah I don't have all the intricacies down yet, but I wanted to come up with a system based on the original that was less confusing for everyone to use. I will have to go back and read the skills running and stamina as well as the rules for long distance movement.

As for the Jogging x3 I am okay with leaving that in. I also had thought it was strange that RAW is doubling and doubling again for movement. It was all or nothing, which I never really liked. Also, the introduction of grammar that everyone can understand removes a lot of the disconnect players feel when its being explained to them.

I am glad everyone thinks it has merit and I am certainly open to suggestions on how to make it better so it can be easily supplemented into existing rules.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: