The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Online
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups -> D6 Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: D6 Online Reply with quote

Not that anyone's been asking, but I just wanted to pass on that D6 Online forum is not gone for good. The site was in need of a technical overhaul and the owner has a lot of RL going on right now so can't attend to it. It will be back, perhaps with completely new software, someday. FYI.

EDIT: https://www.d6online.com/
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New software would be good. My malware blocker kept giving me warnings that the site was bad news. I know from experience how old php code can open the door for malicious third parties can exploit your site, so I just decided to leave it alone.

Once they're up and running, I'd be more than happy to see the old gang.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.d6online.com/

I haven't been able to get in to D6 Online for a week or more now. With the https in the URL, I get the following message:

Quote:
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.d6online.com...

I have tried it in four different OS/browsers combos:

MAC/Safari (two computers)
MAC/Chrome (two computers)
Windows/Chrome
Android/Chrome

Last week Grimace tried for me and he said he got the message at first and then went back to it and it worked. I have Xed out and relaunched, and I have rebooted. Is anyone else getting it? If so, do you have adequate internet security measures? I wonder what is causing this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when you asked me, I tried it and didn't have a problem. When I read this post from you, I just tried it again, and this time I got the "not private" message again.

I'm not entirely certain what is going on with it. I get no flags from my protections on my computer, so I'm not sure what is flagging it as suspect.
For the record, I'm on Windows, with Chrome, not updated to the most recent version.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your reply. It is not just an issue with Google like that one issue we had a while back, because this time I got the same exact message warning message with Safari on two different computers. I hope everything is OK with Magman.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is usually at fault for that is an expired SSL certificate. If it has the https, but still isn't private, then the admins just need to get a renewed certificate and everything would be right as rain.

If you're not sending private information over the site, you're likely okay. Just don't leave your credit card number there.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get there. Let me walk through it.

...huh....

Now it's loading fine without the warning again.

As Alice would say... "Curiouser and curiouser."
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting the same thing, but I did click around and find out how to get by the warning now, to the non-SSL version of the site. Appearance-wise, I actually like this version better.

cheshire wrote:
What is usually at fault for that is an expired SSL certificate. If it has the https, but still isn't private, then the admins just need to get a renewed certificate and everything would be right as rain.

If you're not sending private information over the site, you're likely okay. Just don't leave your credit card number there.

The security upgrade I was able to implement in the Pit is the SSL, and all http URLs auto-redirect to the https version.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Though the SSL upgrade is only one component. Your SSL certificate is only good for a number of years, and will expire. Some contracts are set to auto-renew, some are manual renewal.

I've lived on both sides of that fence. The auto-renew is worth the few extra bucks. Unless you are hosted by Bluehost, and their auto renewal does not auto renew and the certificate expires anyway. I could spend all day talking about why we're no longer with Bluehost.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My provider didn't charge anything for the Pit's SSL, so it must be included in the web hosting service. I'll have to check into if it is set to auto-renew or if I'll have to do anything.

Maybe Magman's SSL certificate just needs renewed. Grimace, have you heard from him?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have not heard anything from Magman for over a year. Last communication with him was in 2019. But honestly, that's not that strange, as I didn't communicate with him all that much. I think in 2019 was when the site went down for a week or so and I had to search through my old emails to find one that worked for him. It had been at least a couple years since I had previously contacted him.

I haven't really tried to make a dedicated effort to reach him for this, as it seems to have somewhat "fixed itself", at least for me. As I mentioned when I was going to offer a way to work around it, but couldn't as the error did not occur.

I just reloaded the site and no error message. So whatever that one-off instance was two days ago, it's not doing it anymore for me. It would be like me taking my vehicle to the mechanic and describing a phantom sound that only occurs when I am traveling at highway speeds. Instead I would be telling him of a problem that I don't have and can't show him what it is.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried, got a security message and had to bypass it to try gget in, I cot to a page saying the site was down
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally heard from Magman, and he made some changes. I have, over the last few days, not noticed the warning when I go to the site.

So give it a try and see if you still get the warning, or if it has been resolved.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I finally heard from Magman, and he made some changes. I have, over the last few days, not noticed the warning when I go to the site.

So give it a try and see if you still get the warning, or if it has been resolved.

Yep, it seems resolved on my end too. I posted in your thread over there. Thanks, Grimace!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: D6 Online Reply with quote

Today I finished watching last week's episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, and then I spent my afternoon break looking for a thread on the Pit where aspects of Star Trek: TSfS had been discussed (an event in the episode is somewhat related to that movie). I remember Grimace has been a part of the discussion.

Then I finally realized that the discussion hadn't occurred on the Pit. It had been discussed on D6 Online, so now it is gone.

Crying or Very sad
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: