The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Generator D10 system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Star Generator D10 system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Star Generator D10 system Reply with quote

I just found something for sector building and star system building. It uses a D10 system, but it should be easy enough to adapt it to a D6 system. the link to the PDF document is here.

For stellar cartography, one has to keep in mind that 1) about 70-80% of all stars in the universe are red dwarfs and 2) the stars most likely to have habitable planets are yellow, yellow-white and orange stars. In the Star Wars Universe, it's possible (though very unlikely) for life to evolve on planets with other types of stars. Barab, the sun of the Barabel homeworld, is a red dwarf for example.

For those of you into that sort of thing, you can peruse this link as well.

Does anyone know offhand how to convert the 11-66 of a D6 system to a corresponding percentile (1-100) system?

EDIT: Damn, according to this, converting a 2D6 roll to percentile dice doesn't result in an even split between probabilities (if I understood that right, which I might not have).

In any case, I have plenty of D10 dice, so I don't need to worry about converting this stuff.

Last edited by Sutehp on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here posted a D6 Sector Generator a while back, complete with a system for generating hyperspace routes.

I'll see if I can find it...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is...

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I copied that star generator chart but I wasn't too impressed with it; the proportion for red dwarfs wasn't nearly as large as it should have been.

Then again, this is Star Wars, so I guess this just qualifies as another facet of the old realism-vs.-versimilitude debate. I expect that alot of players would find sectors filled with nothing but red dwarfs to be very boring. Hell, in the context of creating story-rich potential sectors, I'd even agree. To each their own.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, I copied that star generator chart but I wasn't too impressed with it; the proportion for red dwarfs wasn't nearly as large as it should have been.

Then again, this is Star Wars, so I guess this just qualifies as another facet of the old realism-vs.-versimilitude debate. I expect that alot of players would find sectors filled with nothing but red dwarfs to be very boring. Hell, in the context of creating story-rich potential sectors, I'd even agree. To each their own.

Or you could re-arrange the chart to fit your liking.

On a 1D -> 1D table, there are 36 possible results, which gives each whole # a value of about 2.75% of the total. You can even add additional steps to break the levels down even further.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Or you could re-arrange the chart to fit your liking.

On a 1D -> 1D table, there are 36 possible results, which gives each whole # a value of about 2.75% of the total. You can even add additional steps to break the levels down even further.

I'm sorry, what's a 1D -> 1D table? Which die is converting to what? I'm not sure I understand. I want to convert a 2D6 roll into a percentile roll of 2D10 (meaning one d10 will be the tens die and the other will be the ones die with a 00 standing in for 100). But I'm not sure if that's possible because (if I understood what I read earlier correctly) the probabilities a 2D6 roll and a 2D10 roll don't evenly match up.

And it might not be necessary to do the conversion in any case. The d10 star generator system I found works for me because I have plenty of 10 sider dice. (My 6-siders that I just ordered haven't arrived yet.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it means is, essentially, you roll 1D, which then decides which of the six different 1D sub-tables you roll on to generate your actual result. I'm not entirely sure of the best way to render it; I've D6+D6 used, as well.

As to the other, I have a puritanical streak that prefers to avoid using non-D6 dice in a D6 system if at all possible.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
What it means is, essentially, you roll 1D, which then decides which of the six different 1D sub-tables you roll on to generate your actual result. I'm not entirely sure of the best way to render it; I've D6+D6 used, as well.

As to the other, I have a puritanical streak that prefers to avoid using non-D6 dice in a D6 system if at all possible.

Ah yes, the puritanical streak! Having one of those myself and coming at this from the opposite direction when I was a Classic World of Darkness gamer who used d10 dice exclusively, I can wholeheartedly sympathize with you staring at me over the great and nigh-impassable abyss that divides us. Mr. Green
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I have a puritanical streak that prefers to avoid using non-D6 dice in a D6 system if at all possible.

Nothing wrong with that! I'm vehemently opposed to rolling "D&D dice" for D6 games.

CRMcNeill wrote:

I believe a book that uses that calls it "d66". You just need to roll two d6s of different colors so you know which is the first and which is the second. It's like rolling "d100" in D&D by rolling two d10s of two different colors. d66 is just the d6-only version producing 36 possible results.

CRMcNeill wrote:
You can even add additional steps to break the levels down even further.

d666! 216 possible results!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I believe a book that uses that calls it "d66". You just need to roll two d6s of different colors so you know which is the first and which is the second. It's like rolling "d100" in D&D by rolling two d10s of two different colors. d66 is just the d6-only version producing 36 possible results.

CRMcNeill wrote:
You can even add additional steps to break the levels down even further.

d666! 216 possible results!

Ugh, but that defeats the purpose of what I need, which is a percentage from 1 to 100. Rolling a "d66" only has results from 11 to 66, which is, what, 55 results? If it were 50 results, I'd just double the number and I'd have my percentage. But 55 possible results throws off the calculation so it doesn't correspond to an exact percentage. I thought there was a mathematical way to convert it evenly, but apparently there isn't.

(And what is this 36 results you spoke of, Whill? Doesn't a d66 go from 11-66? That's not 36 results, is it?)

Hence, it's just easier to roll 2D10, different colors for high and low.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Star Generator D10 system Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
[Rolling a "d66" only has results from 11 to 66, which is, what, 55 results? If it were 50 results, I'd just double the number and I'd have my percentage. But 55 possible results throws off the calculation so it doesn't correspond to an exact percentage. I thought there was a mathematical way to convert it evenly, but apparently there isn't.

(And what is this 36 results you spoke of, Whill? Doesn't a d66 go from 11-66? That's not 36 results, is it?)

You are rolling d6s, so there are no 7, 8, 9, or 0 results. You're rolling two d6s. 6x6=36 results. Here is every possible result rolling "d66"...

d66

Sutehp wrote:
Does anyone know offhand how to convert the 11-66 of a D6 system to a corresponding percentile (1-100) system?

There's no easy way to convert that d10s system to using only d6s. Since this system will only be used as GM set-up behind-the-scenes and not during play, you have my blessing to use d10s for it. 8)

Sutehp wrote:
I just found something for sector building and star system building. It uses a D10 system, but it should be easy enough to adapt it to a D6 system. the link to the PDF document is here.

For stellar cartography, one has to keep in mind that 1) about 70-80% of all stars in the universe are red dwarfs and 2) the stars most likely to have habitable planets are yellow, yellow-white and orange stars. In the Star Wars Universe, it's possible (though very unlikely) for life to evolve on planets with other types of stars. Barab, the sun of the Barabel homeworld, is a red dwarf for example.

Thanks for sharing this stuff.

I use an awesome toolkit for creating planets and star-systems, GURPS Space (4th edition). It's almost totally free of GURPS game mechanics. It was designed to be completely general for use with any game. You can specify different parameters and it produces results that are realistic to a large degree, based on the latest developments of the cosmological sciences (as of 2006). I love it. It's a bit arithmetic-heavy though so not for everyone.

However I really never had a need to fill in a whole sector with stellar fluff. I create the important systems that anyone would ever intentionally visit and it is understood there are other star systems in between. I use an excel form with formulas based on the books system that can do a lot of the math for you and allows you to create a planet and sun combo then randomly produces the rest of the star system (all the other planets) but within the parameters of what would work. But to use the excel form you need the book (or a fairly good working knowledge of the physics and math involved).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Star Generator D10 system Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You are rolling d6s, so there are no 7, 8, 9, or 0 results. You're rolling two d6s. 6x6=36 results. Here is every possible result rolling "d66"...

d66

I forgot about the 7s, 8s, 9s, and 0s. D'oh.... Embarassed

Sutehp wrote:

Whill wrote:
There's no easy way to convert that d10s system to using only d6s. Since this system will only be used as GM set-up behind-the-scenes and not during play, you have my blessing to use d10s for it. 8)

I appreciate that. Mr. Green

Sutehp wrote:

Whill wrote:
Thanks for sharing this stuff.

I use an awesome toolkit for creating planets and star-systems, GURPS Space (4th edition). It's almost totally free of GURPS game mechanics. It was designed to be completely general for use with any game. You can specify different parameters and it produces results that are realistic to a large degree, based on the latest developments of the cosmological sciences (as of 2006). I love it. It's a bit arithmetic-heavy though so not for everyone.

However I really never had a need to fill in a whole sector with stellar fluff. I create the important systems that anyone would ever intentionally visit and it is understood there are other star systems in between. I use an excel form with formulas based on the books system that can do a lot of the math for you and allows you to create a planet and sun combo then randomly produces the rest of the star system (all the other planets) but within the parameters of what would work. But to use the excel form you need the book (or a fairly good working knowledge of the physics and math involved).

Yeah, I'd rather keep it relatively simple. Hence, why I think this d10 Star System Generator is such a great find. Not only do I have the D10s to roll for the results, but it only has a few simple steps to follow and is fairly realistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: