The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Galaxy Guide 13 by Eric Trautmann, writer of GG6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Galaxy Guide 13 by Eric Trautmann, writer of GG6 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Galaxy Guide 13 by Eric Trautmann, writer of GG6 Reply with quote

He posted this on his blog. Pretty cool. A partial GG13: Rogue One book.

As official as you can get I think. Smile

http://erictrautmann.tumblr.com/post/156992188880/illustratorraconteurpossibly-a-secret-agent
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both versions of this mini-book look amazing, but I already found something to take issue with, as this is a fanbook, not something by a professional writer:

"Special Abilities: Blind: Chirrut Îmwe is blind, so is immune to vision based attacks, but requires the use of his remaining senses (and an echo box) to move through his environment." (emphasis mine)

Um, "immune" means "not affected or influenced by something," not "unable to use something." Plenty of stormtroopers use their eyes to aim and shoot at Chirrut, so he's most definitely not immune to vision based attacks. Especially when he finally gets shot in the final act. Rolling Eyes

In other words, Chirrut is blind, not invisible. Razz

EDIT: I already saw a few proofreading errors. There's at least one sentence that ends with a comma, not a period. Also, Bor Gullet is misspelled "borgullet." The write-up on Bodhi Rook states "[Saw Guerra] subjected the young pilot to severe and relentless interrogation (including exposure to a creature called a 'borgullet'”. Bor Gullet is not a creature per se, or at least not a type of creature. The novelization doesn't flat out state it, but implies that Bor Gullet is a sentient alien, rather than a creature. The Bor Gullet entry in Wookiepedia calls him(it?) a creature, but Saw's dialogue in Rogue One refers to Bor Gullet as a proper name. So if Bor Gullet is not a sentient, then Saw at least thinks of him(it?) as a beloved (or at least useful) pet. The word is misspelled in this mini-book in any case.

I'll leave it to others to see if the stats make sense. Especially with Chirrut having 14 Force Points and still being a non-Force-sensitive. (I can't say if this is a game-breaker thing according to solely the stats, but at least in-universe it makes sense to me in the context of the movie.)

Overall, IMHO, the layout and the artwork are incredible. The editing...not so much.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a writer for WEG wrote this, and he was also an editor for the SW line.

He worked on Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Both versions of this mini-book look amazing, but I already found something to take issue with, as this is a fanbook, not something by a professional writer:

"Special Abilities: Blind: Chirrut Îmwe is blind, so is immune to vision based attacks, but requires the use of his remaining senses (and an echo box) to move through his environment." (emphasis mine)

Um, "immune" means "not affected or influenced by something," not "unable to use something." Plenty of stormtroopers use their eyes to aim and shoot at Chirrut, so he's most definitely not immune to vision based attacks. Especially when he finally gets shot in the final act. Rolling Eyes

In other words, Chirrut is blind, not invisible. Razz

EDIT: I already saw a few proofreading errors. There's at least one sentence that ends with a comma, not a period. Also, Bor Gullet is misspelled "borgullet." The write-up on Bodhi Rook states "[Saw Guerra] subjected the young pilot to severe and relentless interrogation (including exposure to a creature called a 'borgullet'”. Bor Gullet is not a creature per se, or at least not a type of creature. The novelization doesn't flat out state it, but implies that Bor Gullet is a sentient alien, rather than a creature. The Bor Gullet entry in Wookiepedia calls him(it?) a creature, but Saw's dialogue in Rogue One refers to Bor Gullet as a proper name. So if Bor Gullet is not a sentient, then Saw at least thinks of him(it?) as a beloved (or at least useful) pet. The word is misspelled in this mini-book in any case.

I'll leave it to others to see if the stats make sense. Especially with Chirrut having 14 Force Points and still being a non-Force-sensitive. (I can't say if this is a game-breaker thing according to solely the stats, but at least in-universe it makes sense to me in the context of the movie.)

Overall, IMHO, the layout and the artwork are incredible. The editing...not so much.

Agreed. It's a gorgeous book -- Darren Calvert did well channeling the old Mike Vilardi WEG style of artwork and Eric Trautmann did do the 2E conversion of Tramp Freighters GG -- but the stats and mechanics are a little wacky, very likely because they hadn't necessarily revisited D6 rules in ages, unlike us freaks Wink Really excited now for the community to see our takes on the R1 characters!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a related request: can anyone crop the WEG pictures of the RO characters so that they're individually shown the way Jyn Erso is here?

I have all the WEG style pics of them paired up, but I haven't been able to find individual ones yet except for Jyn. Basically, I want these individual pics so that I can use them for my image importable interactive character sheet: I'm going to copy down these stats from the GG13 book and make character sheets for all 6 of them. Mr. Green

If anyone can send me the individual pics, I'd be eternally grateful. 8)

EDIT: Because that link had the Jyn Erso pic, I already got that done; I just need the rest of the RO crew.

EDIT2: Here's the link to my character sheet of GG13's Jyn Erso. I wanna do that for all of the Rogue One crew. Feel free to DL the character sheet and modify it as you will.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Maybe they would let others here in the forum incorporate it into the Rogue One Sourcebook that's going to be made.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Not bad. Maybe they would let others here in the forum incorporate it into the Rogue One Sourcebook that's going to be made.

That would be damn nice, seeing an integrated Rogue One Galaxy Guide. I don't know if it should be GG:13 though, since the D6 Holocron already has a GG:13, a GG:14, a GG:15, a GG:16 and a GG:17. Granted, they're not all Womp Rat Press books, and the decision is not going to be made by me, so I'll just wait to see what happens.

Also, I just finished making an interactive picture sheet for Cassian Andor using these stats. Baze Malbus, Chirrut Imwe, Bodhi Rook and K-2SO still need to be finished but I'll post links for them as well once they're done. (Holy Jeebus, K-2SO alone is taking a sh!tton of time just to make sure his special abilities are all included and legible.)

Last edited by Sutehp on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than Likely Rogue One will be Galaxy Guide 18.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
More than Likely Rogue One will be Galaxy Guide 18.

Not that my opinion matters here or changes the outcome, but I heartily approve. Mr. Green

EDIT: K-2SO sheet is now ready.

EDIT2: Bodhi Rook sheet is now ready.

Baze Malbus and especially Chirrut Imwe are going to take a bit of time to finish. Chirrut's martial arts moves alone are going to fill up both the Special Abilities and the Other Information sections. Stay tuned.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And TBH (though I am certainly biased) I think our take on the main cast stat-wise is more consistent with what you see on screen, as well as more balanced, more complete, etc.

Again the layout, artwork and production values on Eric T's and Duncan's book are top notch, it's really just the statting that gave me pause. Honestly, can't wait until ours is ready (Really, only some gear and minor characters remain unstatted) and we line up a layout person!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
Check it out on his site, here: https://www.erictrautmann.us/2017/02/08/i-am-one-with-the-force-the-force-is-with-me/

Thanks for sharing this link.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about tucking it in the wrong spot. I would have never thought to check in "Tools" for fan-made sourcebooks.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
Sorry about tucking it in the wrong spot. I would have never thought to check in "Tools" for fan-made sourcebooks.

True as you tell it, Dustflier. It doesn't seem obvious just from looking at the list of forums, which I did myself just now, to see where I would post the DL for a fanbook here. I sympathize, the question would have thrown me off too. But when you realize that the Tools forum is where you download fan-made supplemental PDFs and other campaign aids, especially the stickified threads, it makes sense in hindsight. Smile
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, once I saw what was actually here in "Tools," I realized what I had been missing.

I don't want to rock the boat, but perhaps this subforum could use an addendum to the title? Maybe "Tools & Fan Sourcebooks" or something in that vein?

I do feel rather silly, but at the same time, looked all over for this sort of content. I can't be the only one getting lost.

Anyway, about the thread topic: this .pdf is seriously well done. I wonder if Trautmann is familiar with the other fan-made supplements and galaxy guides that have been made.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the sheet for Chirrut Îmwe done. Holy jumpin' hot Force-sensitive toads, Chirrut was a b@st@rd* to finish. Writing down all of his special abilities took forever.

Baze Malbus is all that remains. I'll have him done later today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: