The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

NR-5 vs WED 15 Treadwell Droid comparison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> NR-5 vs WED 15 Treadwell Droid comparison Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I'm still amazed at the hijacking of my thread...but I'm fine with it. 8)

I still haven't rerolled my NR-5 droid's stats yet. I'm wondering if I should add any attribute points as well as the 12-13 skill dice. A droid with nothing but 1D attributes strikes me as understatted....

R&E, pg. 236 wrote:

If the total of the dice is less than 25D, the player may put the rest in skills and attachments (not attributes), with a limit of placing up to 4D in any single skill (instead of the standard limit of 2D for most other characters). The player may add skill dice to "pre-programmed" skills, but the starting extra dice may not total more than 4D above the attribute.

Because your model sucks, you have a bunch of unassigned potential that you get to choose, per the rules. But not in attribute dice, which blows.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Quote:

If the total of the dice is less than 25D, the player may put the rest in skills and attachments (not attributes), with a limit of placing up to 4D in any single skill (instead of the standard limit of 2D for most other characters). The player may add skill dice to "pre-programmed" skills, but the starting extra dice may not total more than 4D above the attribute.

Because your model sucks, you have a bunch of unassigned potential that you get to choose, per the rules. But not in attribute dice, which blows.

Isn't that for creating a character tho? Wouldn't he .have a little more leeway if the droid is being used as, at best an NPC? With his GM's approval of course
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Quote:

Isn't that for creating a character tho? Wouldn't he .have a little more leeway if the droid is being used as, at best an NPC? With his GM's approval of course

Yeah, this repair droid is just an NPC to help my smuggler character with any needed ship repairs for his light freighter. My GM has a copy of the sheet for both the NR-5 (without the added stats) and for a Treadwell repair droid, but it hasn't been decided which one (if either) my character will have for the campaign. I'm going to read through the Cynabar Droids book to see exactly what the rules are for designing and upgrading a droid character. Because, yeah, the NR-5 is supposed to be superior to the Treadwell but it's stats in the Cynabar book are way understatted compared to the Treadwell. If I understood what I skimmed earlier, both skills and attributes can be improved, it just tends to cost a decent amount of credits. Which makes sense because it's ridiculous that something as potentially important to a tramp merchant trader as a repair droid would have nothing but straight 1D attributes with no chance for improvement.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If they are skilled enough to keep being a storm trooper i don't see why they would ge booted out to somewhere else...

Maybe they don't. Maybe they get transferred to Zero G Space Troopers, Shadow Troopers, Radiation zone assault trooper, etc. A unit where they are rarely seen by the general public.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Whill wrote:
Forbin, great point about the real primary purpose of stormtrooper armor. My only caveat is that by the time of the Galactic Civil War, stormtroopers aren't exactly identical on the surface, which is exactly what we are talking about. Stormtroopers are of varying heights, within a range.

Here's the thing about armor. There's a simple trick that can be employed to make all troopers the same height.

Let's say the height range is 5'7 - 6'0

Troopers 6' tall get the standard trooper boot.
Trooper's 5'9...gets 3" thicker sole

Line every trooper up in armor and they're all 6'0 tall. Wink

Now Luke didn't get to go to the supply officer for armor that fit perfectly, so he could have easily been wearing boots that weren't suited for his actual height making him look short for a trooper.

The problem with that for those of us that want our SWUs to have verisimilitude with respect to the films: stormtroopers lined-up at attention in the films are clearly not all the same height. They are clearly not even within only 1 inch of each other, so height equalization footwear is not a thing, at least on the two Death Stars.

Zarn wrote:
Though the image of a fairly short stormtrooper going about their business in KISS style boots is pretty cool.

As a KISS fan since 1978 in elementary school, I LOLed at this.

Zarn wrote:
I'm afraid Imperial feet and inches (a double pun, in fact) is 12 inches to a foot. Which means that the calculations of your example are 2" off.

Blasted conventional measures. This yankee is down for full metrification in the USA. But I think Sutehp's and Mark Hamil's conventional measure height was the spark for this stormtrooper height tangent.

Sutehp wrote:
I'm still amazed at the hijacking of my thread...but I'm fine with it. 8)

Sorry. Yes, the two droids.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Quote:

Sure. I just tend towards "NPCs follow PC rules, unless there is a good reason."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:

Sure. I just tend towards "NPCs follow PC rules, unless there is a good reason."

I don't understand that. All PC rules attempt to game-balance PCs to each other (I'm not arguing they are all successful at that, but that is the purpose). NPCs don't need to be game balanced to PCs. That's why we have typical droid model stats and typical alien species stats. The vast majority of galactic aliens and droids would be at or near the typical stats. PC-level ability is very rare. And of course NPCs can be ever better than PCs too but those would be ever rarer. Making all NPCs follow PC rules would mean that everyone in the galaxy is at the level of PCs. Are your stormtroopers and other bad guys all 18D attribute NPCs? Or do you just mean that PC-owed droid NPCs follow PC rules? It still seems weird that supporting character NPCs would be as able as PCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:

I don't understand that. All PC rules attempt to game-balance PCs to each other (I'm not arguing they are all successful at that, but that is the purpose). NPCs don't need to be game balanced to PCs. That's why we have typical droid model stats and typical alien species stats. The vast majority of galactic aliens and droids would be at or near the typical stats. PC-level ability is very rare. And of course NPCs can be ever better than PCs too but those would be ever rarer. Making all NPCs follow PC rules would mean that everyone in the galaxy is at the level of PCs. Are your stormtroopers and other bad guys all 18D attribute NPCs? Or do you just mean that PC-owed droid NPCs follow PC rules? It still seems weird that supporting character NPCs would be as able as PCs.

In this case, what I meant is that a droid would be unlikely to have better Attributes than the standard, because droid characters seldom have improved Attributes, especially at the outset. So, while the average stormtrooper won't have 18D+7D, I'd want a good reason why one was rolling D8s instead of D6s, or why a droid had significantly improved Attributes, when that's uncommon for Droid PCs.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: NR-5 vs WED 15 Treadwell Droid comparison Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

So my question is this: Why would any light freighter captain who had the means to buy either droid pay more to get the NR-5 when it only has 3D space transports repair while the Treadwell costs almost 1/4 the price of the NR-5 and yet has 5D+1 space transports repair, especially when the NR-5 is billed as being an improvement over the Treadwell in multiple books??

Did Gry Sarth goof here? Shocked

Wasn't the Treadwell first mentioned as being sold used in the Mos Eisley droid dealer? If that is the case i would surmise that its has been modified in the past beyond it original specs unbeknown to the dealer, or it has been just sitting there in inventory for so long its been reduced in price. Or perhaps there is some none stat reason such as treadwells being full of proprietary had to find parts now that they are out of production.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that new canon has introduced other types of WED-15 droids, perhaps you could just retcon the earlier non "Septoid"
WED Treadwell models -- like this one which has only 2 arms -- as being the model that the NR-5 is being judged against
and supposedly improves upon?

EDIT: Switched out the walker-scale photo from Rebels that I'd posted here previously with one of more reasonable size, for easy viewin'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: