The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

NR-5 vs WED 15 Treadwell Droid comparison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> NR-5 vs WED 15 Treadwell Droid comparison Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That funny quip made me actually thing.. IS there any established height requirements FOR storm troopers??

Well if the original stormtroopers were the clones from the Clone Wars then they were clones of Jango Fett who was 6' (1.83 m)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that to mean that there were height requirements... but consider that, while Leia noted that Luke was a little short for a stormtrooper, all the people they crossed paths with in the Death Star didn't seem to have a problem with it... so, at 5'7", he couldn't have been THAT short for a stormtrooper.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I read that to mean that there were height requirements... but consider that, while Leia noted that Luke was a little short for a stormtrooper, all the people they crossed paths with in the Death Star didn't seem to have a problem with it... so, at 5'7", he couldn't have been THAT short for a stormtrooper.

Most people tend to be oblivious to their surroundings. Especially things they see every single day. Go ask anyone that works retail how many times a day
people ask stupid questions when the answer is right in front of their faces if they bothered to pay attention to their immediate surroundings.

Leia on the other hand was at the very least Force sensitive, and her spidey sense probably started tingling when her unknown TWIN brother showed up causing her to pay closer attention and notice that height difference.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Most people tend to be oblivious to their surroundings. Especially things they see every single day. Go ask anyone that works retail how many times a day
people ask stupid questions when the answer is right in front of their faces if they bothered to pay attention to their immediate surroundings.

Leia on the other hand was at the very least Force sensitive, and her spidey sense probably started tingling when her unknown TWIN brother showed up causing her to pay closer attention and notice that height difference.

She might have also heard people shooting outside her cell...
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
She might have also heard people shooting outside her cell...

Hey, that wasn't shooting, that was just a slight weapons malfunction!

But we're fine, we're all fine here now, thank you.

...How are you? *winces*
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe 5ft 8 to 6ft 4 is a 'standard Stormie height, but someone at 5"7 could pull it off, cause MOST people wouldn't be able to eyeball much of a difference of 1 inch..
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So maybe 5ft 8 to 6ft 4 is a 'standard Stormie height, but someone at 5"7 could pull it off, cause MOST people wouldn't be able to eyeball much of a difference of 1 inch..

It depends on the era. While the Empire was still using Jango Fett clones there will be no height difference.

Later when clones are being replaced by natural borns there will be differences with heights.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I agree. Luke was just a little short for a Stormtrooper. Leia is very perceptive so she would notice where a lot of others wouldn't.

ForbinProject wrote:

It depends on the era. While the Empire was still using Jango Fett clones there will be no height difference.

Later when clones are being replaced by natural borns there will be differences with heights.

Also, it has been suggested that the cloning process requires a live genetic host. So when Jango died, yes there were 10 years of Fett clones at various ages still growing up to become stormtroopers, but they could have started cloning new hosts at the start of the clone wars. And yes at some point they started recruiting (or conscripting) natural borns.

This does bring up something I've never thought about before. If non-clone stormtroopers start training as children before fully grown, some could end up being kicked out for being too short if they stop growing before they make it to 5'8". They probably were transferred to some other Imperial service without a 5'8" height limit because why waste Imperial loyalty from all those years of brainwashing?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

This does bring up something I've never thought about before. If non-clone stormtroopers start training as children before fully grown, some could end up being kicked out for being too short if they stop growing before they make it to 5'8". They probably were transferred to some other Imperial service without a 5'8" height limit because why waste Imperial loyalty from all those years of brainwashing?

If they are skilled enough to keep being a storm trooper i don't see why they would ge booted out to somewhere else...
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

If they are skilled enough to keep being a storm trooper i don't see why they would ge booted out to somewhere else...

Psychological warfare. Enemies see and endless wave of nameless, faceless, troopers/ All identical, no individuality.

If one trooper commits an atrocity how does the public identify him? They are all the same.

Same applies to trooper training. When they are in their armor there is nothing they can see that separates them from any other trooper. They give up their individuality and become part of something bigger.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Psychological warfare. Enemies see and endless wave of nameless, faceless, troopers/ All identical, no individuality.

If one trooper commits an atrocity how does the public identify him? They are all the same.

Same applies to trooper training. When they are in their armor there is nothing they can see that separates them from any other trooper. They give up their individuality and become part of something bigger.

Forbin, great point about the real primary purpose of stormtrooper armor. My only caveat is that by the time of the Galactic Civil War, stormtroopers aren't exactly identical on the surface, which is exactly what we are talking about. Stormtroopers are of varying heights, within a range.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

Because, from Princess Leia's line in ANH, stormtroopers would seem to have a minimum height which is taller than Luke who is 5'7". Now sure it is possible that 5'7" troopers weren't booted out, but instead were just rare enough that Leia hadn't see them.

Early (pre-EU) published fluff stated that classic trilogy stormtroopers were all clones and implied there were not all clones of the same person, which would explain why they came in different heights. Post-prequels, Lucas himself overtly stated that in his personal SWU, after Jango Fett died clones started to be grown from various different hosts of various calibers because becoming a clone host became a political thing that carried over into the Empire, which explains why stormtroopers are not of the same height and also why some stormtroopers don't seem anywhere near as competent the clonetroopers were. As you know, the EU had stormtroopers recruited as adults which meant they could reject anyone that wasn't tall enough.

But no matter what the minimum height threshold is, it would make sense that there would be a cut-off as too short to keep the stormtroopers all about the same height, within a certain range for the psychological aspect. Most Imperials on the Death Star probably wouldn't pay much attention to the ubiquitous stormtroopers, but Princess Leia is perceptive and noticed that Luke was a little short for a stormtrooper. For these reasons, I think it makes a lot of sense that 5'8'' was the minimum cut-off.

In the new Disney canon that I've seen, there are stormtroopers cadet kids as young as early teens. There could possibly be younger cadets. They likely hadn't yet reached their full height yet . Granted, maybe biological knowledge is so great in Star Wars that they can project what someone's max height will be so they can pre-screen out those who will be too short years in advance. In TFA, the First Order takes babies and raises them to be stormtroopers. That practice could have also been done by the Empire, but yeah, maybe they could tell how tall they would be when they grew up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:

That actually makes sense now i think about it..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still amazed at the hijacking of my thread...but I'm fine with it. 8)

I still haven't rerolled my NR-5 droid's stats yet. I'm wondering if I should add any attribute points as well as the 12-13 skill dice. A droid with nothing but 1D attributes strikes me as understatted....
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Forbin, great point about the real primary purpose of stormtrooper armor. My only caveat is that by the time of the Galactic Civil War, stormtroopers aren't exactly identical on the surface, which is exactly what we are talking about. Stormtroopers are of varying heights, within a range.

Here's the thing about armor. There's a simple trick that can be employed to make all troopers the same height.

Let's say the height range is 5'7 - 6'0

Troopers 6' tall get the standard trooper boot.
Trooper's 5'9 get a 1" thicker sole to their boots
5'8 gets 2" thicker sole
5'7 gets 3" thicker sole

Line every trooper up in armor and they're all 6'0 tall. Wink

Now Luke didn't get to go to the supply officer for armor that fit perfectly, so he could have easily been wearing boots that weren't suited for his actual height making him look short for a trooper.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though your point is true, I'm afraid Imperial feet and inches (a double pun, in fact) is 12 inches to a foot. Which means that the calculations of your example are 2" off.

Though the image of a fairly short stormtrooper going about their business in KISS style boots is pretty cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: