The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Most Necessary Books?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Most Necessary Books? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Most Necessary Books? Reply with quote

Ive had the same dozen or so sourcebooks on my shelf since the 90s. Last year, on a nostalgic whim, I picked up Han Solo & The Corporate Sector and the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. Now... I want more! Which ones are your favorites? Which ones should I pick up sooner rather than later?

Heres what I got (in random order!)...

Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters
The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition
Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition, Revised & Expanded
Shadows Of The Empire Sourcebook
The Black Sands Of Socirri
Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
Cracken's Rebel Operatives
The Last Command Sourcebook
Instant Adventures
Platt's Starport Guide
Imperial Double Cross
Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley
Live Action Adventures
Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments From The Rim
Flashpoint: Brak Sector
Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations
Han Solo & The Corporate Sector
Lords Of The Expanse
Classic Adventures Volume 4
Rebel Alliance Sourcebook

(I could've sworn I had the Tales Of The Jedi Companion. Maybe someone walked off with it in high school...)
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely say that Platt's Smuggling Guide is a must-have if you or anyone in your group is going to roll a smuggler. This is especially since you already have Platt's Starport Guide, as both Platt books make for a nice duology.

Wait, you have the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook but you don't have the Imperial Sourcebook? Sir, you need to rectify that oversight ASAP.

The Star Wars Sourcebook I also heartily reccommend if for nothing else the chapters and maps of both the Rebel Alliance starfighter base and the Imperial Garrison.

Hideouts & Strongholds is a very nice book for designing bases/hidey holes/outposts of any shape, form or function. And it's not just for Rebels or fringers; there's one section for designing a Rapid Deployment Outpost, which is a modular Imperial outpost for places where the Imperials want to set up shop but doesn't warrant a full garrison. It's basically a forward base for the Empire.

It's not a must-have, but it's one of my personal favorites: Rules of Engagement - The Rebel SpecForce Handbook. The resource for examining the Special Forces of both the Rebels and the Empire. If you find Special Forces of the military and Star Wars both fascinating, this is the book for you.

That list should keep you busy for the time being. 8)
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular order:

Death Star technical companion, lots of imperial personnel stats and maps.

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, some neat stuff like the jet pack stats (the only ones I have seen with a lot of thought behind them), the imperial sky scooper, fast flesh medpac, portable computers, the rules for jury rigging, prosthetics, and data storage file size in D6 stats.

Galaxy Guide 8, cool equipment, four scout templates, and world building generation charts.

Dark Empire source book, stats for rebel sea commandos, and world devastators.

Tales of the Jedi companion, lots of Force powers

Adventure Journal #7 history of the R2 series astromech droid

Adventure Journal #10 intelligence report the TIE fighter

Adventure Journal #11 Bingo and Rusti Get Carry- Out for the sullustan cargo barge driver (and it is funny).

Last edited by griff on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules of Engagement. One of the best WEG supplements. Mine has seen the most use out of all of my books, mostly because it has every type of imperial soldier in the opposition chapter, as well as random mission generators.

Sadly, because of this heavy use, the book is starting to fall apart, which breaks my heart.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I'd definitely say that Platt's Smuggling Guide is a must-have if you or anyone in your group is going to roll a smuggler. This is especially since you already have Platt's Starport Guide, as both Platt books make for a nice duology.

Even if you DON'T do a smuggler focused game, the Platt's Smuggler guide is very good for fleshing out starport officials, rules on BoSS and other things, as well as has some good info for trading.

Sutehp wrote:
Wait, you have the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook but you don't have the Imperial Sourcebook? Sir, you need to rectify that oversight ASAP.

I think the ISB is a LOT more needed than the reb handbook...

Sutehp wrote:
The Star Wars Sourcebook I also heartily reccommend if for nothing else the chapters and maps of both the Rebel Alliance starfighter base and the Imperial Garrison.

Those maps are good, but its IMO not a "must have".

Sutehp wrote:
Hideouts & Strongholds is a very nice book for designing bases/hidey holes/outposts of any shape, form or function. And it's not just for Rebels or fringers; there's one section for designing a Rapid Deployment Outpost, which is a modular Imperial outpost for places where the Imperials want to set up shop but doesn't warrant a full garrison. It's basically a forward base for the Empire.

Additionally the rules for base construction are great.

Sutehp wrote:
It's not a must-have, but it's one of my personal favorites: Rules of Engagement - The Rebel SpecForce Handbook. The resource for examining the Special Forces of both the Rebels and the Empire. If you find Special Forces of the military and Star Wars both fascinating, this is the book for you.

I DO consider it a must have. Especially since the ISB doesn't have rules for some of the NPCs the pcs could face in it (rad troopers, coruscant guard and storm commandos), where ROE does.

For me, Besides the ISB, ROE and Platts Smugglers guide, i would say Tramp freighters, Scouts and Fragments from the rim are also needed. I might even add in the 2 Aliens Galaxy guides, as well as both Gundarks and Galdiniums.
BUT if you have access to the aliens, weapons and equipment PDFs you can do away with those books as needs..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Most Necessary Books? Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Rules of Engagement... Sadly, because of this heavy use, the book is starting to fall apart, which breaks my heart.

Mine is falling apart too. Sad

WillTasker wrote:
Which ones are your favorites? Which ones should I pick up sooner rather than later?

Heres what I got (in random order!)...

Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters
The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition
Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition, Revised & Expanded
Shadows Of The Empire Sourcebook
The Black Sands Of Socirri
Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
Cracken's Rebel Operatives
The Last Command Sourcebook
Instant Adventures
Platt's Starport Guide
Imperial Double Cross
Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley
Live Action Adventures
Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments From The Rim
Flashpoint: Brak Sector
Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations
Han Solo & The Corporate Sector
Lords Of The Expanse
Classic Adventures Volume 4
Rebel Alliance Sourcebook

I have all WEG Star Wars RPG books. For reference, click here for a complete list of WEG Star Wars RPG books. FYI.

WillTasker, based on what you already have, here is my suggested "sooner" list...
    The Star Wars Sourcebook
    Imperial Sourcebook
    The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook: Special Edition
    Alien Encounters
    Heroes and Rogues
    Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook
    Platt's Smuggler's Guide
    Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
    The Star Wars Planets Collection
    Classic Adventures: Volume Three
    Classic Adventures: Volume Five
    Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
    Star Wars: Introductory Adventure Game [box set]

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Rules of Engagement. One of the best WEG supplements. Mine has seen the most use out of all of my books, mostly because it has every type of imperial soldier in the opposition chapter, as well as random mission generators.

Sadly, because of this heavy use, the book is starting to fall apart, which breaks my heart.

Do what I did: put all the softcover books in magazine bags. My copy of RoE (as well as all my other softcover SWD6 books) are all in the same shape as the day I got them. Granted, one or two of them I only managed to find and buy used, but at least they haven't deteriorated since, and the rest are just fine.

Also, GG6: Tramp Freighters is a very good book, that's one I forgot to mention.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Do what I did: put all the softcover books in magazine bags. My copy of RoE (as well as all my other softcover SWD6 books) are all in the same shape as the day I got them. Granted, one or two of them I only managed to find and buy used, but at least they haven't deteriorated since, and the rest are just fine.

That's great advice, and kudos on keeping your collection in such good condition. All my softcover RPG books are in the "magazine" bags (or larger) and boarded with magazine-sized boards. My RoE is quite well protected sitting on my bookshelf. The wear and tear happens when the book is out of the bag being used. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you all for the quick replies and the suggestions.

Funny enough, I saw some of these titles and went back to my bookcases because I could've sworn I had some of those listed... and sure as sh*t, I had accidentally shelved the Dark Empire and Tramp Freighters sourcebooks somewhere else.

Sutehp wrote:

Yeah, I've been looking for that one at a reasonable price in good condition via Ebay. But theres always something wrong with it or its First Ed or something.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Necessary Books? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
Rules of Engagement... Sadly, because of this heavy use, the book is starting to fall apart, which breaks my heart.

And me to that list.. Heck most people i know of who has RoE, mentions its falling apart..
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone here tell me the difference between the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook and the The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook: Special Edition previously mentioned? Is it just the original book with the added characters from the SE films?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Can someone here tell me the difference between the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook and the The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook: Special Edition previously mentioned? Is it just the original book with the added characters from the SE films?

The Special Edition book has alot more stuff in it than just added characters, I think. The regular movie trilogy book just seems to be a larger reprint volume of the ANH, ESB and ROTJ Galaxy Guides in one bound volume. The Special Edition had D6 stats for all the things that were in the Special Editions movies. There's some overlap between the two books but they're not the same.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

And me to that list.. Heck most people i know of who has RoE, mentions its falling apart..

I've heard from alot of gamers over the years about how their books are falling apart after so much use. I'm glad I took precautions to avoid this; I'd know I'd be pissed if my books ever got ruined through overuse. Crying or Very sad
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:

I should have clarified since you have the Movie Trilogy Sb and I suggested both the SW Sb and the SW Trilogy Sb: SE.

The SW Sb is the original sourcebook simultaneously published as a companion to the core rulebook (and of course there was a second edition).

The Movie Trilogy Sb mostly compiles info from the galaxy guides for the classic trilogy films.

The SW Trilogy Sb: SE is a full-color glossy companion to R&E core rulebook. The material covered is pulled from the SW Sb and the movie GGs/Movie Trilogy Sb. It has some characters and race stats unique to the SE versions of the films, but this is very minimal.

Since you already have the Movie Trilogy Sb, if you want to avoid overlap then you can just get the SW Sb and skip the SW Trilogy Sb.

I had to put it on my list because it is one of my favorite books in this game line. I just love my glossy full-color hardback RPG books, and they are so rare for this game. Because of the Movie Trilogy Sb having most of the material from the film GGs in 2e form, the 2e versions of the GGs added some stuff that makes them together have more. So I got rid of my Movie Trilogy Sb.

Now my SW Sb and film GGs overlap with my SW Trilogy Sb: SE, and I'm ok with that because they all have some stuff not in the others.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first edition rulebook. A lot of stuff got cleaned up in 2e, but the character templates in 1st edtion are awesome, as are the fake in-universe advertisements scattered throughout. Like an ad for astromech droids, and an Imperial recruitment poster.

Heroes & Rogues is interesting for adding non-rebel PC's to the game.

These days I only collect RPG books if they contain content for the miniatures game though. The only galaxy guides I saved are ESB and ROTJ, to convert stats to the miniatures game for the only two land battles in the auld trilogy. I have a handful of core RPG books for sheer nostalgia value but won't add more. So I'm not much of an expert on the varying utility of the books.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard from alot of gamers over the years about how their books are falling apart after so much use. I'm glad I took precautions to avoid this; I'd know I'd be pissed if my books ever got ruined through overuse. Crying or Very sad

Ha ha ha! First edition miniatures rules were so badly made they fell apart through USE, not over-use. Copies in the store would be falling apart, that book was so fragile. It is almost identical to 2nd edition so it's not a huge deal for casual collectors. But for completists like me, it can be almost impossible to find a good copy nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: