The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cad Bane and his footwear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cad Bane and his footwear. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
IMO, the absolute *best* thing about TCW was the portrayal of Anakin as an actual Jedi Knight who also acts like one. Ep 2. he whines, Ep 3 he's evil. TCW was a refreshing take on the character between the two movies, and the best thing about him is that it is shown he was a GOOD man before Palpatine's goading of him and his appealing to his deepest fears, and his subsequent conversion to Vader.

I also note the huge number of abuser red flags he throws up in his relationships with Padme and Asokha.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Error wrote:
IMO, the absolute *best* thing about TCW was the portrayal of Anakin as an actual Jedi Knight who also acts like one. Ep 2. he whines, Ep 3 he's evil. TCW was a refreshing take on the character between the two movies, and the best thing about him is that it is shown he was a GOOD man before Palpatine's goading of him and his appealing to his deepest fears, and his subsequent conversion to Vader.

I also note the huge number of abuser red flags he throws up in his relationships with Padme and Asokha.

Hoo boy, at the beginning of the Geonosis Arc, where Anakin says to Padme that he won't "let" her spy on that traitor Senator, that red flag might as well have had a neon sign saying "WARNING! ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP HERE!" in letters 20 meters high printed on it.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Error wrote:

Hoo boy, at the beginning of the Geonosis Arc, where Anakin says to Padme that he won't "let" her spy on that traitor Senator, that red flag might as well have had a neon sign saying "WARNING! ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP HERE!" in letters 20 meters high printed on it.

"Stop calling me Snips."
"Sure, Snips."

That might not be the exact conversation, but by Palpatine's Balls, that there is a red flag.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did detect a bit of that. I'm not defending it, but I will tell you it's pretty common in human relationships. And also, what the writers write doesn't always come out of a character's mouth the way the writer intended. Plus, the various voicers are not in the studio at the same time and don't generally have each other to play off of for tone/timbre/nuance. That leaves them less room for those things, and a performance which might have otherwise been touching turns out to be controllish.

As for Ahsoka, other than when she was overcome with the Dark Side when she, Anakin, and Obi-Wan were trapped on that planet with the Celestials, I don't remember her ever telling him not to call her "Snips". Not that it didn't happen, that's just the only instance I recall. Besides, that's something I do to my girl all the time. Call her some annoying name and keep doing it just to f*ck with her. For us, it's called flirting. For Ahsoka it obviously wasn't that, but to label a nonsexual nickname "abuse" is a little much. "Snips" is in reference to her attitude and snippy mouth, which Anakin actually finds endearing, not to her @$$ or how good she is at fellatio. If she really didn't like the nickname, she had probably nearly 100 chances (during the show's run) to put an end to it. And so did the writers...think about that.

I found Anakin at times fearful, especially of losing Padme or even Ahsoka. He was scared enough that he would do anything to save his wife, including trying to control her actions when his own fears flared up. But it's actually up to her to extricate herself from that relationship if she feels it's not healthy, because abusers are hard to change.

A healthy relationship is one where two independent people make a deal that they will do their best to help the other person become a better version of themselves.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the spankings.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I did detect a bit of that. I'm not defending it, but I will tell you it's pretty common in human relationships.

It's a flag for an abusive relationship, though. Not saying it is a priori abuse, just that it's definitely a flag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: