The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement house rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Movement house rule Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Movement house rule Reply with quote

Thinking of making Cruising Move a free action in Very Easy, Easy, Moderate terrain, for both PCs and vehicles. Just seems more cinematic that way.

Thoughts?
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a house rule I let characters move their full base move as a free action (regardless of terrain) because I feel half move is too short, but I don't give the same to vehicles or Starships and I wouldn't recommend it.

Your campaign, your rules though.

Xain
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the way I see it, it's more cinematic for a PC to...

Run up to the crates and get a shot off, than run up to the crates and have to wait a whole cycle to pop a shot...

Same thing with ships.... if the tie fight can swoop in from behind a take a shot, it's a lot more cinematic that letting it swoop in and have to wait to fire his lasers (same thing for the PCs).

I don't see why the extra 5 meters (or whatever the Space is in the case of ships) would need to happen later, if fast cinematic play is the point.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per page 101 of the R&E, going at cautious speed (half move) in Very easy to moderate terrain is already considered a free action for characters.
Same for vehicles as per page 106. Same for starships as per page 123..
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I want to extwnd that to a pc's full cruising move
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go for it ebertran, give it a whirl and see what happens.

Everyone's game has some kind of house rule, I can't imagine this change will make much difference to the mechanics if every character, vehicle and vessel are working by the same altered mechanic.

If it creates problems, you can always go back to the base rules.

Xain
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say, considering human scales, 5 meters per 5-second-round isn't unreasonable as a free action... I'd think 10m is a bit much.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone walks slowly across a combat zone anymore, not since the Great War (WWI).

In game terms, 10m is the base move for a Human, normal walking pace, so I hardy think it's a 'bit much' as a free action. After all, a character can use a single action to sprint 40m in the same time period and still shoot or whatever.

But everyone has their own opinion about RPG rules and that's one of the things that makes it a great hobby, its adaptability. Use what you like, ditch what you don't, Customise as you see fit

I personally use base move as a free combat action just for ease of play, no one else has to.

Xain
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
After all, a character can use a single action to sprint 40m in the same time period and still shoot or whatever.

Actually if they are sprinting 40m, they are running flank out, which does NOT allow them to take any other actions.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 meters is basically what D&D allows a character in full armor to move around in, in a 6 second round.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind, Xain, I'm talking about "as a free action". I'm talking "Speed at which you can walk and still pay attention to your cell phone" or "Speed at which you can move while still giving all of your attention to the guys with blasters."
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually if they are sprinting 40m, they are running flank out, which does NOT allow them to take any other actions.

Boy garhkal, is my face red Embarassed My basic point is still valid though.

Quote:
Bear in mind, Xain, I'm talking about "as a free action". I'm talking "Speed at which you can walk and still pay attention to your cell phone" or "Speed at which you can move while still giving all of your attention to the guys with blasters."

Sure, I understand that MrNexx. However, I can both run and keep my eye on a tennis ball, calculate where I want to send it and hit it there. I can dribble a football (soccer ball) at a sprint, target a team mate and cross the ball to him through opposing team members...both are loosely analogous to moving quickly and targetting something while you do.

But as I said before, it's just what I do in my game and I'm not going to try and force you to use it. Your game is your own and you are entitled to enact whatever rules you do or do not want.

Which is one of the great thing about RPGing in general Smile

Xain
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:

Sure, I understand that MrNexx. However, I can both run and keep my eye on a tennis ball, calculate where I want to send it and hit it there. I can dribble a football (soccer ball) at a sprint, target a team mate and cross the ball to him through opposing team members...both are loosely analogous to moving quickly and targetting something while you do.

Is it easier to hit the tennis ball when you're not running? Say, if there's a machine shooting tennis balls at you, at a standard speed and angle? Is it easier to pass the ball to a teammate if you are both standing still?

Because that's what the MAP indicates. Not that you CAN'T target a tennis ball at a run, or make a pass through difficult terrain and against opposition, but that it is easier to do it when you're moving slowly... say, walking about a meter a second, chatting idly, and paying at least nominal attention to your surroundings (i.e. doing several free actions at the same time).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Quote:

Boy garhkal, is my face red Embarassed My basic point is still valid though.

Well, stop slapping yourself then! Laughing
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it easier to hit the tennis ball when you're not running? Say, if there's a machine shooting tennis balls at you, at a standard speed and angle? Is it easier to pass the ball to a teammate if you are both standing still?

Isn't this a valid arguement for making all movement cost an action...

Quote:
Because that's what the MAP indicates. Not that you CAN'T target a tennis ball at a run, or make a pass through difficult terrain and against opposition, but that it is easier to do it when you're moving slowly... say, walking about a meter a second, chatting idly, and paying at least nominal attention to your surroundings (i.e. doing several free actions at the same time).

When I'm running I'm NOT concentrating on the actual movement I'm making at all, my entire focus is on other factors; hitting the ball back in tennis with a winning shot (missile weapons?), avoiding defenders and passing the ball successfully (dodge, thrown weapons?), those are the 'actions', the actual movement requires no focus in the same manner as if I'm strolling along chatting

But these are just my opinions. As I said before, your game, your rules.

Xain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: