The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Noticing Blaster Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Noticing Blaster Fire Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Noticing Blaster Fire Reply with quote

So, this came up a couple times on Tuesday...

Assuming a dark, relatively quite night in a large compound... close to 400m by 200m... how easy is it to notice a single blaster shot? What kind of dice do you have people roll, against what kind of difficulty?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there ambient noise? Structure(s) between the PC's and the shot? Is the shot executed in a small space (alley, etc)? What kind of blaster is it? How high are the compound walls?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much ambient noise; the listeners would mostly be on guard duty, with one group together near the gate. The compound has open fenced walls, and some of the potential listeners will have a building between them and the shot, and others will not.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the listeners are on guard duty, I'd say it would be 11 for the ones without buildings between them and 17 for the ones with buildings. Or Easy and Difficult. Since the walls are fences there's really nothing for the sound to reflect against...
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Noticing Blaster Fire Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Assuming a dark, relatively quite night in a large compound... close to 400m by 200m... how easy is it to notice a single blaster shot? What kind of dice do you have people roll, against what kind of difficulty?

A sharp blast (see what I did there?) of red light streaking across your vision (or even out of the corner of your eyesight) during nighttime is probably a dead giveaway, too. Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Noticing Blaster Fire Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Generally i go with a perception check of easy for blaster shots in a 200m radi to be noticed. Moderate for 200-500m away, difficult for 500-1km, and anything further than that would be very difficult if even possible at all..

Then you can add in modifiers based on what else is going on..
Are they walking through a bustling night club scene? Add +15 to all target difficulties to notice blaster fire.
Is it relatively 'calm' (like walking through a serenity garden), subtract 5 from the target #s.
Is it an average level of noise? No mods.
Is it above average, but not as noisy as a night club scene, +5 to +10..

Are there lots of buildings, bushes, hedges/trees etc, things that could deflect/dampen the sound? Add +5 to +15 to the needed target #s.
Very clear and open? Subtract 5.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And number of blasts is important. One could be shrugged off, but several or a gunfight will be much easier to detect and discern.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
And number of blasts is important. One could be shrugged off, but several or a gunfight will be much easier to detect and discern.

Soooo true. Heck if there's 4+ shots going on, i might not even HAVE the party need to make a perception check to hear it...
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, if we're talking about more than one, then the likelihood of being noticed at that range goes down to Very Easy or Easy for everyone within 100 meters.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Noticing Blaster Fire Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Well...
When you know that someone smoking a cigarette can be clearly seen 2km away by night amuming she is in sight of view, I imagine you can't miss a blaster fire because of light and sound it makes...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is IF you are looking in the right direction, are being observant AND have nothing in the way..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I know this is also a bit of a GM call, but to simplify rolling the guard check, I just went with combined actions rules... there were 10 guards, all with 2D perception. Rather than roll 20D and find the best one, I rolled 5D (2D perception + 1 pip for the 9 additionals), and called that good.

Seem reasonable?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, I know this is also a bit of a GM call, but to simplify rolling the guard check, I just went with combined actions rules... there were 10 guards, all with 2D perception. Rather than roll 20D and find the best one, I rolled 5D (2D perception + 1 pip for the 9 additionals), and called that good.

Seem reasonable?

It's down and dirty, but it works for me.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of combined actions are you using, that has 10 guards just give +9 pips??
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which version of combined actions are you using, that has 10 guards just give +9 pips??

Combined actions, page 82 & 83 of R&E.

p. 83 wrote:
If the command roll is successful, the combined action bonus is +1D for every three characters combining. Add a +1 for one "extra" character and a +2 for two "extra" characters.

In this case, I decided to forgo the command roll (Vangar wouldn't be able to pull it off, with his Command of 3D, but it's also an incredibly easy thing to coordinate a watch, and in their own interest, so I felt OK not using it).

Rechecking, it seems I should've given 10 pips, but I went with "Main character, plus 9 aiding", rather than the rules as written... because it makes no sense for the principal person, who is making the roll, to also contribute a pip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: