The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Blast force power conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Blast force power conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Force Blast force power conversion Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm having trouble understanding this conversion, perhaps someone can help me out... It's bout the Force Blast power from the Force Unleashed conversion book...

It reads as follows:

Force Blast
​​Alter
Difficulty: See chart below
Required powers: Telekinesis
Time to use: one round

​​Warning: A Jedi who uses this gains one Dark Side Point

​Effect: This power allows a Force user to launch a blast of compressed air and debris. The power has a number of applications, both practical and sinister. It allows the Jedi to clear a blocked passageway of debris or other obstacles. However, it has been used by the less scrupulous to hurl a barrage of projectiles at life forms standing in the Force user’s path. Any Jedi who uses this on a sentient being gains an immediate Dark Side Point.

​The amount of damage done by the blast is determined by the chart below:
​Easy 3D
​Moderate 4D
​Difficult 5D
​Very Difficulty 6D
​Heroic 7D

​Source: The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide (page 86)

--
So what I'm not understanding is the range of the power. Is it a melee based attack? Is that what I'm missing? But since it says that "it has been used by the less scrupulous to hurl a barrage of projectiles at life forms standing in the Force user’s path" it also reads as a possible ranged attack.

What's your take on it?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is you're question? Roll Alter compare to chart.

6-10: 3D damage
11-15: 4D damage
16-20: 5D damage
21-30: 6D damage
31-40: 7D damage

Other than the power should have some additional information like range and to me it seems it would have an area effect, but I am not familiar with the game or the power, so ...

The power straight from the Saga Edition sourcebook reads thus:

Force Blast
You use the Force to create a ball of compressed air and debris that you can hurl at enemy targets. Time: Standard action. Target: One target within 12 squares and within line of sight.

Make a Use the Force check. Compare the result of your Use the Force
check to the Reflex Defense of the target; if you exceed the target's Reflex Defense, you deal damage with the Force blast. The result of the Use the Force check determines the effect, if any.

DC 15: The Force blast deals 2d6 points of damage to the target.
DC20: As DC 15, except you deal 3d6 points of damage.
DC25: As DC 15, except you deai 4d6 points of damage.
DC30: As DC 15, except you deai 5d6 points of damage.

Special: You can spend a Force point to add one-half your heroic level as
a damage bonus on a Force blast just as you would with a normal weapon.

Wookieepedia explains it a bit differently:

Force Blast
Force blast was a Force power used by the dark side and neutral Force-sensitives, that when conjured, projected concentrated blasts of pure dark side energy at objects or opponents, usually with devastating effects. It could however refer to a neutral Force user's usage of the Force to create a ball of compressed air and debris that could be sent at an enemy.

Description
Using one's hands, the conjurer could project focused blasts of dark side energy, that could obliterate objects, or destroy living beings or creatures. At first, users would experience moderate difficulty in controlling such powerful dark side energy. With practice, the aspiring sorcerer could learn to direct the energies into a power that could obliterate anything in its path. Sometimes the user would suffer burns to their flesh, but feel no pain. While its effects were enhanced if the wearer was in possession of a Sith amulet, the amulet was not required.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Blast force power conversion Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
Hi.
I'm having trouble understanding this conversion, perhaps someone can help me out... It's bout the Force Blast power from the Force Unleashed conversion book...

..snip..

So what I'm not understanding is the range of the power. Is it a melee based attack? Is that what I'm missing? But since it says that "it has been used by the less scrupulous to hurl a barrage of projectiles at life forms standing in the Force user’s path" it also reads as a possible ranged attack.

What's your take on it?

I would treat its range as 15/30/45. Short range, damage is as listed for the chart, medium -1d from damage, and long is -2d...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Blast force power conversion Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
Hi.

--

What's your take on it?

SWEET! I wrote that conversion. Funny, I don't think I have the original notes. Tthat was when we were still doing it page-by-page in the forums for peer review. Letting everyone have their input before sending it off to Gry Sarth was the MO back then. You can find the original thread here:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2298&start=60

I can tell you that the original intent was to mirror how it was portrayed in the video game, while still being a faithful conversion of what was in the WotC book. IIRC (and this is a YEARS old memory), the power in the game was effective only at a pretty short range. IIRC the thought would have been something like 3 meters.

Granted, that was my intent, but obviously it isn't what I said, since I didn't designate an effective range. And maybe the reason why no one questioned it is because the effective range had already been manifested before us visually in gameplay.

This far after the fact, I'm going to put this one into the realm of GM fiat. Though I would caution against letting the Jedi have too much reach with this. One of the very few things that there are limiting a Jedi's combat abilities in the game is that they are pretty face-to-face fighters.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this write-up will give a little more clarity. I also gave the attack a 1 meter area of effect.

Quote:
Force Blast
Alter Difficulty: See chart below, modified by proximity, limited to line of sight.
Required Powers: Telekinesis.
Time to Use: One round
Warning: A Jedi who uses this power against a living being gains one Dark Side Point.
Effect: This power allows a Force user to launch a blast of compressed air and debris. The power has a number of applications, both practical and sinister. It allows the Jedi to clear a blocked passageway of debris or other obstacles. However, it has been used by the less scrupulous to hurl a barrage of projectiles at life forms standing in the Force user’s path (1 meter are of effect). Any Jedi who uses this on a sentient being gains an immediate Dark Side Point.

The amount of damage done by the blast is determined by the chart below:

Sense Skill Roll.....Damage
10..............................3D
15..............................4D
20..............................5D
25..............................6D
35..............................7D

@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 meter?? Might as well punch at that close of a range.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
1 meter?? Might as well punch at that close of a range.

Did you read it all? The range is sight. The exploding an item has a 1 meter radius.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, but i thought that was for setting standard difficulties. NOT setting the range the power's good at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: