The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lifting skill (stormtrooper strength)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lifting skill (stormtrooper strength) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Btw isn't trooper armor supposed to be BETTER protection than scout trooper? And space/sand/snow etc supposed to be a little better than Storm??
What of rad trooper with its whapping 3d bonus??

Gawds, I haven't ever looked at this before, but yeah, it does seem that the armor ratings between most of the different types are wildly inconsistent.

..snip..

What the actual f*ck?!?!?

True dat. For note for everyone else here's the break down using BOTH the Imp source book or an alternate source (BEFORE Rules of engagement came out)..

Standard Storm Trooper armor, +2d phys/+1d En (ISB)
Snow Trooper +1d either way
Aquatic trooper, +1d either way
Zero G - +4d phys +3d energy
Scout trooper, +2 pips phys/energy.
Sand trooper (as of GG 1, Yavin) +1d phys/energy.
Rat trooper (as of GG 9, fragments from the rim) +3d phys, +1d energy.
Storm commando (as of GG9) +1d phys and energy.

Then we get to The Complete Equipment stats by Thiago S Aranha (one of the fan books compiled on this site..) and rules of engagement, the ONLY Armor that changed (other than in name as with sea to aquatic) was Sea trooper armor which now grants +2d to swimming checks, vice the inital +1d that the imp sourcebook gives..

To me if anything. Snow and Sand should be EXACTLY the same as standard trooper armor, +2d/+1d. Rad should be changed to the +3d giving bonus vs Energy (which is what radiation counts as) rather than phys (BUT ONLY +1d vs energy blasts), Scout, and storm commando should both be the same at either +2 pips OR +1d either way.. NOT one being less than the other...
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat trooper?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Rat trooper?

I would hazard a guess that was a spelling mistake and he meant Rad Trooper.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Whill as.to why the Empire would give crappy armor? To me its the same as to why the TIE has no shields. The Sith don't care. Vader had a whole ISD blown apart in the Hoth Astreroid field because he wanted one small ship. Also compare junk armor to Clone armor. The Republic cares for its clones at least enough to give it the best equipment.

Thank you.

garhkal wrote:
Bt isn't trooper armor supposed to be BETTER protection than scout trooper?

+1D = 3.5
+1D-1 = 2.5
+2 = 2

2.5 > 2. In my suggested possibility of changing standard trooper energy protection, it IS still better protection that scout armor. Only slightly better, but still better.

garhkal wrote:
For note for everyone else here's the break down using BOTH the Imp source book or an alternate source (BEFORE Rules of engagement came out)..

Standard Storm Trooper armor, +2d phys/+1d En (ISB)
Snow Trooper +1d either way
Aquatic trooper, +1d either way
Zero G - +4d phys +3d energy
Scout trooper, +2 pips phys/energy.
Sand trooper (as of GG 1, Yavin) +1d phys/energy.
Rat trooper (as of GG 9, fragments from the rim) +3d phys, +1d energy.
Storm commando (as of GG9) +1d phys and energy.

Thanks for posting the breakdown!

garhkal wrote:
What of rad trooper with its whapping 3d bonus?? ...Rad should be changed to the +3d giving bonus vs Energy (which is what radiation counts as) rather than phys (BUT ONLY +1d vs energy blasts)...

I don't think I've ever used these guys, but if I did, I'm sure I changed it. +3D physical is quite ridiculous. It seems that the author considered radiation to be physical damage, when radiation IS energy. Blaster shots have particles so they are more "physical" than radiation, so I'm thinking like you. I would say the radtroopers have a +3D bonus to resisting pure radiation, but I wouldn't give them +3D for physical or blasters. That's silly.

garhkal wrote:
To me if anything. Snow and Sand should be EXACTLY the same as standard trooper armor, +2d/+1d.

I'm inclined to think those would be the same too. Sandtroopers armor IS standard armor except for that backpack. If I make standard have +1D-1 energy, I might let snowtroopers stay at +1D because it is different armor and we don't see many snowtroopers get blasted by character-sale weapons.

garhkal wrote:
Scout, and storm commando should both be the same at either +2 pips OR +1d either way.. NOT one being less than the other...

I disagree on storm commandos. Their armor is all-encompassing and scout armor is not. Plus they are elite troopers, the special forces of stormtroopers. I'll definitely let storm commandos keep their +1D energy and scouts keep their +2.

My main point here was standard stormtroopers get blown away by the dozens in the classic trilogy, and armor never seems to help.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My main point here was standard stormtroopers get blown away by the dozens in the classic trilogy, and armor never seems to help.

Ah, yes, the stormtroopers, who are the very epitome of Armor Is Useless and Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy.

They have come a loooong way from the opening scene in A New Hope where they mowed down a bunch of Rebel Red Shirts like a scythe through wheat. More's the pity.

I can't wait to see the armor stats for the shoretroopers and especially the Death Troopers. Those latter guys were friggin' scary.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:
Rat trooper?

I would hazard a guess that was a spelling mistake and he meant Rad Trooper.

Yes i was. But then when you have so many 'spec trooper types out there, perhaps a RAT trooper was a tunnel rat? Rolling Eyes

Whill wrote:

garhkal wrote:
Scout, and storm commando should both be the same at either +2 pips OR +1d either way.. NOT one being less than the other...

I disagree on storm commandos. Their armor is all-encompassing and scout armor is not. Plus they are elite troopers, the special forces of stormtroopers. I'll definitely let storm commandos keep their +1D energy and scouts keep their +2.

Looking at all the pics i have seen comparing the 2, they look exactly the same, other than coloration...
Sure their legging may be a bit more than what a scout has, but not to the point they should have a full D of protection vs just +2 pips..

Additionally, if you are basing it off what's in the movies, we only ever SEE scouts, not commandos.. And they did rather well till one hit a tree going flank on a bike!

Whill wrote:

True. BUT no one hit, other than luke in the hand and Leia in the shoulder seems to survive.. All others who got hit by a bolt, whether from a pistol, or rifle dropped.. ALL others.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that a bunch of the heroes pose before shooting as if making a called shot for +1D damage.

edit I fixed spelling error and I swear I wrote shot the first time!

Last edited by Ninja-Bear on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

True. BUT no one hit, other than luke in the hand and Leia in the shoulder seems to survive.. All others who got hit by a bolt, whether from a pistol, or rifle dropped.. ALL others.

True. Armor doesn't seem to make a difference in the movies.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

Looking at all the pics i have seen comparing the 2, they look exactly the same, other than coloration...
Sure their legging may be a bit more than what a scout has, but not to the point they should have a full D of protection vs just +2 pips.

I see your point. I think I was originally interpreting more plastoid armor than what was intended. But I still feel they would give better armor to elite troopers.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it grants +1d to stealth it in a way Does..
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone add stormtooper strength to the title? Thanks!
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desth trooper in Rogue One are the Stormtroopers thats Obi Wan was thinking of in ANH.

edit more spelling errors

Last edited by Ninja-Bear on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Did someone add stormtooper strength to the title? Thanks!

You're welcome. I thought it would help since this thread isn't about lifting in general. It's about facets of stormtrooper Strength: lifting, stamina, Strength attribute, armor, strength to resist damage, etc.

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Desth trooper in Rogue One are the Stormtroopers thats Obi wan.was rhinking of in ANH.

Obi-Wan's comment about stormtrooper accuracy and precision? LOL, yeah maybe Obi-Wan did leave Tatooine at some point and ran into Death Troopers. Or maybe he was just assuming stormtroopers were as skilled as their clonetrooper counterparts he knew well. Or maybe he was just bantha-poodooing Luke. He's been known to do that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

Whill wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:
Desth trooper in Rogue One are the Stormtroopers thats Obi wan.was rhinking of in ANH.

Obi-Wan's comment about stormtrooper accuracy and precision? LOL, yeah maybe Obi-Wan did leave Tatooine at some point and ran into Death Troopers. Or maybe he was just assuming stormtroopers were as skilled as their clonetrooper counterparts he knew well. Or maybe he was just bantha-poodooing Luke. He's been known to do that.

Or we can come to the conclusion that regular stormtroopers are that accurate against everyone except the main characters because they're always spending Force points or Character Points to avoid getting hit. Stormtroopers mow down Rebel redshirts by the dozens in the opening scene of ANH and (though this was offscreen) the snowtroopers didn't have much trouble getting into Echo Base and mowing down whatever Rebels were still left.

Just ask the guy who said over the Echo Base PA:
Quote:
Imperial troops have entered the base! Imperial troops have entered--" *STATIC*

Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp I can agree that the Heroes.have plot immunity.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2D is average but that doesn't mean every civilian is 2D across the board like stormtroopers. They are very versatile soldiers. Most people would be 3D in one or two things, 1D in an equal number of things to make up the average, and 2D in whatever remains. Plenty of civilians are 1D STR. Stormtroopers are very well rounded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: