The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Rogue One is not even in the same class.

No, it is not in the same class as Williams Star Wars, which is a whole class of its own.

Sutehp wrote:
To be fair to Rogue One, it was scored by Michael Giacchino, who of course is not John Williams. But then again, no one is John Williams except for John Williams. That said, I actually like the music for Rogue One.

I do too. It became my favorite non-Williams Star Wars score, knocking Shadows of the Empire down to #2 and The Clone Wars movie to #3.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I thought TFA was lacklust and not up to Williams' typical quality

We'll agree to disagree there.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
From what little I've heard in commercials and trailers and such, I think we're in for a great Star Wars score

That's really cool that something grabbed you in the trailer music, but I do not at all understand how you could make a prediction about the entire film score based on trailer music. Of course I hope you are right and we are in for a great score, but Williams has never given me any reason to think it will be otherwise. I have about 40 John Williams albums and Star Wars is the best of his work.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I really need to buy the ticket for TLJ now. Trouble is, none of my friends either have the time or the interest to see it with me so I'm gonna be going by myself. Ah, well.

Sounds like it is time to get some new friends! This time I had friends who made me get opening night tickets for them to see it with my family on premier night. I also get invited to a few other group viewings but prefer to be in charge of my own for opening night. But there is nothing wrong with going to movies alone. I've done it many times, just not for Star Wars because I've not had any shortage of people who want to go with me.

I'm excited that this time I get to have my son with me (who I now take to select PG-13 movies without me pre-viewing them), and my brother who hasn't seen a new Star Wars movie with me in the theater since the original trilogy in our childhood. Add to that one of my best friends (of 35 years, since before RotJ in our childhood) who saw all four prequels with me on opening day.

Although I have lots of friends who are into Star Wars, my problem is that very few of them are gamers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m hoping to read the book before seeing the movie, but, I’m not sure the movie will still be in theaters in March, and I do want to experience it on the big screen.

TFA has a few good themes, but overall it does seem flat, to me. And the R1 score was completely forgettable. I have high hopes for the TLJ score (and TLJ in general).
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I’m hoping to read the book before seeing the movie, but, I’m not sure the movie will still be in theaters in March, and I do want to experience it on the big screen.

Isn't the novelization one giant spoiler for the film? Would you rather read, "No. I am your father." before seeing it? I can understand wanting to read the book before the movie if the movie is an adaptation of an original book, but the Star Wars novelizations are adaptations of the movies.

I like to watch the movie, read the novelization, then watch the movie again with the book fresh in my mind. In my city Star Wars will probably still be playing somewhere in March. Whatever you do, don't miss your chance to see Star Wars where it was meant to be seen!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t explain it, I just like books better than movies.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
I really need to buy the ticket for TLJ now. Trouble is, none of my friends either have the time or the interest to see it with me so I'm gonna be going by myself. Ah, well.

Sounds like it is time to get some new friends! This time I had friends who made me get opening night tickets for them to see it with my family on premier night. I also get invited to a few other group viewings but prefer to be in charge of my own for opening night. But there is nothing wrong with going to movies alone. I've done it many times, just not for Star Wars because I've not had any shortage of people who want to go with me.

I'm excited that this time I get to have my son with me (who I now take to select PG-13 movies without me pre-viewing them), and my brother who hasn't seen a new Star Wars movie with me in the theater since the original trilogy in our childhood. Add to that one of my best friends (of 35 years, since before RotJ in our childhood) who saw all four prequels with me on opening day.

Although I have lots of friends who are into Star Wars, my problem is that very few of them are gamers.

Just a personal update in case anyone is interested in my comings and goings regarding The Last Jedi, but I just bought online today my ticket to the Washington DC AMC Loews Uptown theatre not far from where I live. What really amazed me is that I managed to find a ticket for the 9pm showing on December 14. Yes, that's right, I somehow managed to purchase a ticket at the Uptown for opening night! I would have thought they'd have sold out by now. It probably helps that the Uptown doesn't have assigned seating, which basically means I'll likely have to wait in line for at least a couple of hours to get a good seat.

Eh, it'll be worth it.

*Han Solo voice* I can't believe my luck! Sometimes I amaze even myself. 8)
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp, glad to see you got an opening night ticket. Maybe while waiting in line you''ll get to know some cool Star Wars fans.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Just a personal update in case anyone is interested in my comings and goings regarding The Last Jedi, but I just bought online today my ticket to the Washington DC AMC Loews Uptown theatre not far from where I live. What really amazed me is that I managed to find a ticket for the 9pm showing on December 14. Yes, that's right, I somehow managed to purchase a ticket at the Uptown for opening night! I would have thought they'd have sold out by now. It probably helps that the Uptown doesn't have assigned seating, which basically means I'll likely have to wait in line for at least a couple of hours to get a good seat.
Congrats. I didn't realize you were so geographically close.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp, glad to see you got an opening night ticket. Maybe while waiting in line you''ll get to know some cool Star Wars fans.

Always a possibility. If it happens, it'll be nice to make some new friends.

Bren wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Congrats. I didn't realize you were so geographically close.

That's right, you're in Maryland. Yeah, I didn't make note of your location either. Come to think of it, I probably only remember Whill's location because it's so verbose and accurate out to the seventh or eighth line of the cosmic address. Wink

...But even then, I forgot he was in Columbus, Ohio. Embarassed
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Easy to forget. Columbus being the place that new restaurant franchises come to test market, everywhere in the USA looks and tastes a bit like Columbus, Ohio.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Easy to forget. Columbus being the place that new restaurant franchises come to test market, everywhere in the USA looks and tastes a bit like Columbus, Ohio.

That's true. Something else of note about central Ohio is that the standard American accent in a lot of movies and TV shows is actually based on our midwest accent. So people on TV often sound like Columbus, Ohio.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: