The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
This was my first thought...

Heh, I read this a couple of years ago and laughed my @$$ off because it's ridiculous enough to laugh at, but something that catastrophic occurring inside a starship that large is improbable but not impossible.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: The Last Jedi Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson.html

Quote:
What does “The Last Jedi” mean?

It’s in the opening crawl of “The Force Awakens.” Luke Skywalker, right now, is the last Jedi. ...coming into our story, he is the actual last of the Jedi. And he’s removed himself and is alone on this island, for reasons unknown.

We hear a voice in the teaser trailer say, “It’s time for the Jedi to end.” Is that Luke speaking?

That’s him. It sounds pretty dire. That’s something that we’re definitely going to dig into. The heart of the movie is Luke and Rey. It follows all the other characters, but its real essence is the development of the two of them.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertainment Weekly, Special Double Issue August 18/25, 2017 wrote:
This isn't the Luke that [Rey] heard about. It's not the one we know, either. This is a broken man. One who would have preferred to stay lost. And he feels the same way about that lightsaber. "The fact that Luke says, 'I only know one truth. It's time for the Jedi to end...' I mean, that's a pretty amazing statement for someone who was the symbol of hope and optimism in the original films," Mark Hamill says of his character, referencing a quote from the film's first trailer. "When I first read that, my jaw dropped. What would make someone that alienated from his original convictions? That's not something you can just make up in an afternoon, and I really struggled with this thing."

damn, not even Obi-Wan turned into a Knight in Sour Armor in A New Hope after all he went through. What happened to Luke that he would throw away all his deepest convictions and voluntarily go into exile?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno...I'm intrigued.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Entertainment Weekly, Special Double Issue August 18/25, 2017 wrote:
This isn't the Luke that [Rey] heard about. It's not the one we know, either. This is a broken man. One who would have preferred to stay lost. And he feels the same way about that lightsaber. "The fact that Luke says, 'I only know one truth. It's time for the Jedi to end...' I mean, that's a pretty amazing statement for someone who was the symbol of hope and optimism in the original films," Mark Hamill says of his character, referencing a quote from the film's first trailer. "When I first read that, my jaw dropped. What would make someone that alienated from his original convictions? That's not something you can just make up in an afternoon, and I really struggled with this thing."

damn, not even Obi-Wan turned into a Knight in Sour Armor in A New Hope after all he went through. What happened to Luke that he would throw away all his deepest convictions and voluntarily go into exile?

This is my interpretation of one particular theory concerning Rey being Luke's daughter. My interpretation is that Luke's wife was killed during the First Order's attack on Luke's Academy. During the attack, Rey was abducted then abandoned on Jakku and Luke was never told. Of course, Rey is not her real name.

Because of this, Luke went into ultra depression mode. When he left in search of the First Jedi Temple and discovered it on Ach-To along with the Jedi books, he exhaustively pored through the books. I think what he found in those books changed his view of the Jedi.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flashback scene in TFA shows Rey being left on the planet, and she wasn't an infant.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke doesn't seem to recognize her at the end of TFA.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard on this evenings news cause of the director switchover, the movie's being kicked back to Dec 18, instead of earlier in the year..
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
The flashback scene in TFA shows Rey being left on the planet, and she wasn't an infant.

I never stated that she was.....
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

That's not an issue, concerning that Luke doesn't have any dialog.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

If the reports of the leaked screenplay can be trusted, Luke "doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here." One thing unusual about Disney Star Wars is that they are not publishing the screenplays for some reason.

In the film, Luke's expression could be interpreted as a knowing glance, but it is certainly is possible that Luke doesn't recognize her.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading or hearing of something that I thought was in the TFA novelization (which I don't own and haven't read yet). I thought I read somewhere that the last few lines of the novelization specifically say that Luke recognized Rey instantly. Then again, IIRC that last scene is written from Rey's perspective, so that's probably wrong.

This is just MHO, but that look on Luke's face when he sees Rey for the first time does seem to me to be a mix of resigned recognition and "This Is Gonna Suck". They both seem on the verge of tears at that last moment.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHANGING GEARS

I'm a big fan of the two new films. And, I'm looking forward to TLJ. But, I will say that I do recognize that there is something missing from the new films...it's that swashbuckling adventure stuff.

The new films are more serious. As a reaction to the silliness in the prequels, I get that. But, we're missing the Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers pulpy serial action.

Where's the scenes like swinging across a bottomless chasm, princess on your arm, with 50 stormtroopers shooting at you, and the heroic music blaring?

Where's the scenes where you are stuck in a trash compactor in knee deep water, a monster under the surface, and the walls start closing in on you?

Where's the giant space slug that almost swallows your ship!

The films need a touch more of that.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I seem to recall reading or hearing of something that I thought was in the TFA novelization (which I don't own and haven't read yet). I thought I read somewhere that the last few lines of the novelization specifically say that Luke recognized Rey instantly. Then again, IIRC that last scene is written from Rey's perspective, so that's probably wrong.

This is just MHO, but that look on Luke's face when he sees Rey for the first time does seem to me to be a mix of resigned recognition and "This Is Gonna Suck". They both seem on the verge of tears at that last moment.

Actually, the passage in the TFA novelisation states that as Rey was making her way towards her meeting with Luke, she comes across a figure shrouded in a simple cloak and robe and instantly knew the figure to be Luke Skywalker.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: TLJ tickets Reply with quote

TLJ tickets went on sale tonight. I had heard they would go on sale after the new trailer appeared during half-time of Monday Night Football, which would have been like TFA two years ago. So I planned my evening which included grocery shopping, dinner for my son and I, and bath/bedtime rituals for my son. We stayed on schedule and I had the ESPN score page and my movie tickets purchase theater page up ready to refresh when the tickets went on sale, only to discover that the tickets had gone on sale early. Evil or Very Mad The 7:00pm showing on December 14th was already sold out, so I moved on to 7:30pm and had my choice of the very front row or about the middle. My son likes the back/top row but that wasn't happening, and the very front row sucks, even in reclining seats. So the middle it was, with our group of 7 split up by a handicap seat. The yellow seats our ours:

Oh, and here is the new trailer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: