The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee combat against Stormtroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Melee combat against Stormtroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random_Axe wrote:
...I've just noticed that the R&E edition does say as you point out, you can't do anything else that round than the full dodge... which makes less sense to me IMO...

I completely agree. To me a full dodge is more than just standing in the middle of things and doing the wild chicken dance. You are actively seeking cover, moving around, crawling on the floor, whatever it takes. I allow my players to make a free action 5 meter move. This is in keeping with the spirit of the rules and makes sense without introducing a new mechanic.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Random_Axe wrote:
...I've just noticed that the R&E edition does say as you point out, you can't do anything else that round than the full dodge... which makes less sense to me IMO...

I completely agree. To me a full dodge is more than just standing in the middle of things and doing the wild chicken dance. You are actively seeking cover, moving around, crawling on the floor, whatever it takes. I allow my players to make a free action 5 meter move. This is in keeping with the spirit of the rules and makes sense without introducing a new mechanic.

I was going to say the same thing... the full dodge should include, at least, a half move
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never noticed that 2e basic allowed the 1 free move in addition to full parries/dodges.. Wonder why they changed that in R&E??
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Never noticed that 2e basic allowed the 1 free move in addition to full parries/dodges.. Wonder why they changed that in R&E??

All my references are from 2E R&E or 2E REUP. As for the rule

Quote:
Full Reaction. A character can make a “full reaction.” A full reaction — dodge, melee parry, brawling parry, lightsaber, vehicle dodge or starship dodge — can be the only action the character makes in the entire round.

The character rolls his dodge or other reaction skill and adds it to the difficulties of all attacks made against him that round.

Quote:
Cautious Movement: This is a slow walk for a character: she moves at half her Move. (A human with a Move of 10 would move five meters.)

In Very Easy, Easy, and Moderate terrains, cautious movement is a “free action”: it’s not considered an action and the character doesn’t have to roll her running skill or take a multiple-action penalty.

So a Full Reaction does not allow any additional actions but Cautious Movement in Very Easy to Moderate difficulty terrain is a "free action".
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting that comment of mine was in response to random axe..
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
To me a full dodge is more than just standing in the middle of things and doing the wild chicken dance.

Hahaha. We had a player who always approached combat in a way that visually called this to mind.

As he hadn't bothered to improve more than his ranged combat skills, in almost every round
he could be counted for 2 actions only: dodge-and-shoot. Often he'd try to pull this in wide open,
completely exposed terrain, or in "you're cornered" scenarios.

And since he wasn't the most, how shall we say, verbally imaginative or descriptive player...
it would always come off as standing in the middle of a hangar bay doing the wild chicken dance.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let's say I'm Melee Mack. I have a Vibro-ax and a will to beat the crap out of Stormtroopers. I run into some that are 15 meters away, and I have a move of 10.

Would you, as a Gamemaster, let me take a Full Dodge for three rounds, moving 5m closer each round while doing so, assuming the terrain is Moderate or less? (q.v. "Cautious Movement" on page 101 of R&E)?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, let's say I'm Melee Mack. I have a Vibro-ax and a will to beat the crap out of Stormtroopers. I run into some that are 15 meters away, and I have a move of 10.

Would you, as a Gamemaster, let me take a Full Dodge for three rounds, moving 5m closer each round while doing so, assuming the terrain is Moderate or less? (q.v. "Cautious Movement" on page 101 of R&E)?

Yes, but those troopers could be taking the free 5 m move BACKWARDS while shooting you...
Eventually they will hit.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Yes, but those troopers could be taking the free 5 m move BACKWARDS while shooting you...

Nah, they're Stormtroopers. They'll never hit. Wink
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

The idea comes from the hole in the rules making hand-to-hand-combat pretty much useless. It is modeled after real world tests that found person within I think 20-30 feet of a trained person with a gun (law enforcement, figure Firearms 4D+2) will not be able to effectively shoot that person.

We practice this drill at our annual qualification. Knife wielder at 20', officer with gun holstered. On the whistle the knife assailant charges, the officer draws to engage, while backpeddling, standing ground or moving away and engaging with torso half-turned.

Even when absolutely ready and waiting, it can be difficult to get the shots off accurately. Assuming assailants don't usually drop instantly and can still fight, a knife wielder is still very dangerous, to say nothing of a bigger or more efficient melee weapon.

You can find videos of this sort of thing online. The most vivid is when the attacker is armed with a red marker to simulate a knife.

Not sure the *best* way to handle it, but the situation described by the OP; the guy definitely should have a chance to get an attack in on the storm troopers, as long as the encounter is at least mildly surprising to them and their weapons aren't already pointed... and the guy is willing to take at least a glancing hit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Yes they can hit. Just maybe not the target! Wink
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Hero: You couldn't hit the broadside of a barn!
Stormtrooper (still firing): Yeah, but I'm hitting everything else.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

How appropriate, you fight like a cow. Very Happy
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Suddenly the session adopts "Monkey Island" style combat modifiers.
Each successful quip or rejoinder grants a +1 bonus to its speaker's next combat roll.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Suddenly the session adopts "Monkey Island" style combat modifiers.
Each successful quip or rejoinder grants a +1 bonus to its speaker's next combat roll.

In other words, we've all become Dashing Swordsmen like Elan!

Quote:
Bluff, Bluff, Bluff, Bluff the stupid ogre!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: