The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What program (if any) was used to make character templates?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> What program (if any) was used to make character templates? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: What program (if any) was used to make character templates? Reply with quote

What word processing program was used to make the templates in the old books, and what would you use now to duplicate the look and feel to make your own bootleg versions? I want to make character templates and have them on my computer so I can alter them to make new versions of them and print them out for game night. I am going to start experimenting with some of the programs, so I might answer my own question.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: What program (if any) was used to make character templat Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
What word processing program was used to make the templates in the old books, and what would you use now to duplicate the look and feel to make your own bootleg versions? I want to make character templates and have them on my computer so I can alter them to make new versions of them and print them out for game night. I am going to start experimenting with some of the programs, so I might answer my own question.

Please let us know what you come up with.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out some of the fonts. I will try to re create one of the half page templates from the back of the 2nd Edition book as full page templates. And...Go.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, keep us posted on this. This is a project with a great deal of potential. I remember a couple of similar programs made for the White Wolf games like Vampire: the Masquerade and especially Exalted. Hell, Exalted had so many different types of PCs (and the different types of Exalted were only a portion of the playable PC types) that one guy had a field day making variants of his one program for all the PC types.

(I've been waiting for years for my Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition copy. Sooooon... Very soooooon....)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
I figured out some of the fonts. I will try to re create one of the half page templates from the back of the 2nd Edition book as full page templates. And...Go.

Were they the same fonts used in the rest of the game books? The fonts for the headings and body text are pretty well known.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one do you mean? Would you like an editable pdf or do you prefer another format?

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3

Sample (Don't Save the document, use only Save as another document to preserve the original)
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fonts look pretty close to Calbri and Cambria. I am tempted to get a trial run at Adobe just so I can create pdf docs.

Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fonts for old SWD6 templates are:

ITC Avant Garde Gothic Bold
Cheltenham Bold and Regular
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:

cheshire wrote:
Were they the same fonts used in the rest of the game books? The fonts for the headings and body text are pretty well known.

I am not in the know of the "well known". What were the fonts used in the R&E era of WEG?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:

These fonts are for Option 1 and Option 2 (SWD6 1st edition). You can zoom and compare it with the font links.

For Option 3 (SWD6 2nd edition R&E) is Serif Gothic Bold and Cheltenham Regular, I guess. The last one, I'm not sure.
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per some old posts I'd say they were

Quote:
Star Wars books were done with the headers in Eras Demi (bolded) and the normal text was done with Chelthm ITC.

and this post

cheshire wrote:
JACKPOT!

Quote:
Dear cheshire:

Most of the Star Wars 2nd Edition materials released in the 1990s used Eras Bold as the font for chapter headings and subheads (including sidebar, diagram, and map titles) and Cheltenham for paragraph text and diagram/map tags. From what I can tell this does not vary much with the SWRPG 2R&E. Fonts for covers varied depending on the graphic design, though overall the art department went for anything that looked like it would fit Star Wars.

Sorry, I don't recall the exact font sizes related to the varying subhead sizes (A-head, B-head, C-head), though I recall most of the text was in 10 point Cheltenham. If you really want to duplicate the look, you can print out sample headers at 14, 18, 24, and 36 point to compare with subheads in the old WEG Star Wars books.

I believe you can find several Star Wars fonts on the internet, including Aurabesh and an English character version of the Star Wars title font ("Star Jedi"). If you look hard enough you can even find "Shadow of Xizor," a font based on one developed to promote the products related to the novel Shadows of the Empire.

Back in my time at WEG I had some exposure to the layout end of product, particularly in reviewing layout for The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal and in creating convention support materials for the D6 Star Wars RPG.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck producing your home-brew D6 Star Wars materials.

Best regards,

Peter Schweighofer
Griffon Publishing Studio

www.destinyrealms.com/griffon/
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously.... Rolling Eyes

WEG40093 (2nd edition)
Eras Demi

WEG40120 (2nd edition Revised and Expanded)
ITC Serif Gothic
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my Word does not have any of these fonts. Sad
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It seems my Word does not have any of these fonts. Sad

You can buy the fonts if you're really serious about getting a book to look just right.

I've got them installed, and whenever I get a new computer, I always make sure I bring them with me. I'd hate to lose them.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
You can buy the fonts if you're really serious about getting a book to look just right.

I downloaded them for free from a legit site. Don't have the addy but found it on my first Investigation: Google skill roll.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: