The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Hydrofluoric acid: 25 square centimeters on your skin and you are dead.

I just pulled out my ruler. 25 sq cm is enough to cover my entire upper chest and my lower jaw or my entire stomach up to the bottom of my ribcage, so yeah. How nasty is hydroflouric acid?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
jmanski wrote:

I just pulled out my ruler. 25 sq cm is enough to cover my entire upper chest and my lower jaw or my entire stomach up to the bottom of my ribcage, so yeah. How nasty is hydroflouric acid?

Umm... I used to work with that in a chem lab. The word "don't" comes to mind.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kills you through being a poison, not because of it burning down through the tissues. It interferes with the calcium channel, as I understand it, which may lead to cardiac arrest - and will, in this case.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I work with several different types of acid on a regular basis (titanium process line). Here's what I know:

Nitric acid: will burn like a SOB until rinsed off or neutralized, but will only be fatal in a dunking situation.
Caustic Soda: a strong base, will burn until rinsed off or neutralized, more painful than Nitric.

I have been burned by Nitric and Caustic. I have a small scar from the Nitric burn and a slightly larger scar from the caustic.

My 2 cents: in a galaxy as big as Star Wars acids would be widely varied. Make your own rules that suit your needs.

What about sulfuric acid (what I'd probably use) or muriatic (hydrochloric) acid?

I don't want to kill anyone via inhalation or transdermally (hydrofluoric acid specifically) but I want to kill them with melting.

Would "Caustic Soda" neutralize acid (or at least get it closer to pH 7)?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any particular chemical knowledge, but the usual rules for acid in RPGs are xD for Y rounds, or until neutralized, which works fairly well, and makes them attractive pains in the @$$ to work with.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
What about sulfuric acid (what I'd probably use) or muriatic (hydrochloric) acid?

I don't want to kill anyone via inhalation or transdermally (hydrofluoric acid specifically) but I want to kill them with melting.

Would "Caustic Soda" neutralize acid (or at least get it closer to pH 7)?

What is this "Caustic Soda" you speak of? Is this a thing in the RAW? If you're referring to real life drinkable soda of some sort, then it's going to be mostly water and thus near or at pH 7 anyway.

MrNexx wrote:
I don't have any particular chemical knowledge, but the usual rules for acid in RPGs are xD for Y rounds, or until neutralized, which works fairly well, and makes them attractive pains in the @$$ to work with.

Yeah, this seems like the simplest system to use.

And all this talk of acids reminds me of this quote from the Transformers cartoon from the 80s:

Mixmaster wrote:
"Okay, let's mix up some... eh, H2SO4... with, uh... with HCl... with, uh... I know! I'll combine some of each of the stronger acids!" -Mixmaster, Transformers (Alpha)

EDIT: Oh and gratz on making Captain, Error! Smile
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

And all this talk of acids reminds me of this quote from the Transformers cartoon from the 80s:

Mixmaster wrote:
"Okay, let's mix up some... eh, H2SO4... with, uh... with HCl... with, uh... I know! I'll combine some of each of the stronger acids!" -Mixmaster, Transformers (Alpha)

EDIT: Oh and gratz on making Captain, Error! Smile

Out of morbid curiosity, what would that do.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Mixmaster wrote:

Out of morbid curiosity, what would that do.

I have no idea, but it would either be really funny or really nasty. It was an 80s cartoon for kids about giant extraterrestrial shapeshifting robots, so it didn't have to make sense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Big issue, is what would they use to neutralize the acid. Water is not always a good source, and even then they might not have ready access to it...
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
What is this "Caustic Soda" you speak of? Is this a thing in the RAW? If you're referring to real life drinkable soda of some sort, then it's going to be mostly water and thus near or at pH 7 anyway.

That's dangerously misinformed.

Caustic soda, also known as lye, is a white solid and highly caustic metallic base and alkali of sodium. I imagine he was referring to its dilute in water, rather than the solid base itself.

Soda has mostly a very low pH. Just because something is "mostly" water, doesn't mean that its pH will be near 7.

Coca-Cola has a pH of 2.53, and is therefore very acidic. Pepsi has a pH of 2.45, and is even more acidic. Under acidic conditions (pH less than about 5.5), there is a net loss of calcium and phosphate ions from the tooth, a process known as demineralisation.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

That's dangerously misinformed.

Caustic soda, also known as lye, is a white solid and highly caustic metallic base and alkali of sodium. I imagine he was referring to its dilute in water, rather than the solid base itself.

Soda has mostly a very low pH. Just because something is "mostly" water, doesn't mean that its pH will be near 7.

Coca-Cola has a pH of 2.53, and is therefore very acidic. Pepsi has a pH of 2.45, and is even more acidic. Under acidic conditions (pH less than about 5.5), there is a net loss of calcium and phosphate ions from the tooth, a process known as demineralisation.

Tooth decay!

But damn, the pH of Coke and Pepsi is that low? I had no idea it was that acidic. Thank the gawds that I gave up soda years ago. I lost five pounds just from that alone. Getting rid of a major source of tooth decay was just a bonus.

And I had no idea that Caustic Soda was another name for lye. Yeesh.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Actually.... 25 square cm is 5 cm x 5 cm which is about the size of the back of your hand.

HF is deadly stuff, we wear fully encapsulated suits with supplied air when we pump it into our chemical tanks.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Actually.... 25 square cm is 5 cm x 5 cm which is about the size of the back of your hand.

HF is deadly stuff, we wear fully encapsulated suits with supplied air when we pump it into our chemical tanks.

Holy crap.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

But d*mn, the pH of Coke and Pepsi is that low? I had no idea it was that acidic. Thank the gawds that I gave up soda years ago. I lost five pounds just from that alone. Getting rid of a major source of tooth decay was just a bonus.

And I had no idea that Caustic Soda was another name for lye. Yeesh.

Yup. Heck while active, we often joked about using Coke as a de-ruster cause of its acidity...
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Holy crap.

Oh just in case you thought you could go to sleep the hydrochloric acid swishing around INSIDE YOUR STOMACH can reach a pH around 1-2 on a regular basis...pleasant dreams!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: