The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW? Reply with quote

I need help, communal brain. Are there rules for getting acid thrown on/spat at you? As in how the damage would work, how to neutralize it, if it can be healed by bacta, etc.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe there are rules for acid though a few races and creatures that use acid attacks. For me I would figure our how corrosive the acid is and treat like fire damage. A certain amount of damage each round until put out or fuel is exhausted.

Acid: 4D corrosive damage to unprotected surfaces. Armor and clothing must make damage resistance rolls each round. Depending on the type of acid it requires the solution to be diluted with some form of liquid.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've now allowed for either the Alien Xenomorph or the lil' Jurassic Park Dilophosaur to spray SpecForce marines and "Newman" NPCs throughout the galaxy.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
You've now allowed for either the Alien Xenomorph or the lil' Jurassic Park Dilophosaur to spray SpecForce marines and "Newman" NPCs throughout the galaxy.

"It's got a great defense mechanism. We don't dare kill it." -Parker, Alien

"There's movement all over the place!" -Hudson, Aliens
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen anything official. I did use some rules ad-hoc once when a player was fighting a carnivorous plant. He rolled REALLY well, but got a one on the Wild Die. I decided that his complication was, that even though he dealt a killing blow to the plant, he burst a sac of digestive enzymes all over himself.

I gave him some nominal damage the first round, and it would go up 1D for x amount of rounds, or until he was able to wash himself off.

Fortunately he was right by a swamp, so he could quickly jump into the murky water... hiding who knows what sort of carnivorous creature.

Good times.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I've never seen anything official. I did use some rules ad-hoc once when a player was fighting a carnivorous plant. He rolled REALLY well, but got a one on the Wild Die. I decided that his complication was, that even though he dealt a killing blow to the plant, he burst a sac of digestive enzymes all over himself.

I gave him some nominal damage the first round, and it would go up 1D for x amount of rounds, or until he was able to wash himself off.

Fortunately he was right by a swamp, so he could quickly jump into the murky water... hiding who knows what sort of carnivorous creature.

Good times.

Murky water? Did he get his wounds infected too? If he didn't, then you overlooked another possible complication right there.

Unless he wasn't wounded at all (you did say he rolled really well), in which case it was a lost opportunity for another complication. Cheshire, you're slacking as a GM. j/k Wink 8)

EDIT: But yeah, getting dirty water onto open wounds is something you want to avoid except in extreme circumstances (like getting acid splashed on you).

Does SWD6 RAW even have infection rules? Or is that something that's homeruled in the fanmade Medical Sourcebook?

Last edited by Sutehp on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. You guys are funny ;D

The thing about acid attacks is that if I admit them, a hit in the head or chest is basically a death sentence. The more time that passes, the more damage it is going to do if it is powerful enough. Solvents, even water, will be completely absent in some scenarios and the PC will die.

I will see what I can come up with though I would be thankful for any more suggestions 8)
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Haha. You guys are funny ;D

The thing about acid attacks is that if I admit them, a hit in the head or chest is basically a death sentence.

Not necessarily. Depending on the acidity, if it's relatively mild, then it might just leave surface scars.

Error wrote:
The more time that passes, the more damage it is going to do if it is powerful enough. Solvents, even water, will be completely absent in some scenarios and the PC will die.

I remember my teacher in one of my high school science classes discussing the pH scale of acids and bases and him pointing out that water is right in the middle of the scale with a pH rating of 7. Anything under 7pH is an acid and anything over 7pH is a base. Thus, if you spill acid from some cleaning solution on your hand or arm, it's better to pour a base (something like ammonia) on the acid because it would better counter the acid than water since the base would have a higher pH than water.

The reason I mention this is because one of my classmates idly asked what the pH rating of the Xenomorph blood from the movie Alien would be and the teacher replied "Oh jeez. It's probably something like -15pH or something." Shocked

Error wrote:
I will see what I can come up with though I would be thankful for any more suggestions 8)

Yeah, I'm going to peruse the Medical Sourcebook to see if anything about wounds from acids are mentioned. Not likely, but it can't hurt to be thorough.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
He rolled REALLY well, but got a one on the Wild Die.

In my game Sunday, the wookiee was running away from two scout troopers in an attempt to get them to follow him through the woods. So I made him roll running (-1D) and sneak (-1D). The trooper made his Perception roll and knew exactly where the wookiee was. So the trooper shoots at the wookiee (he had already commanded him to halt). The wookiee, who has a low Dexterity and no dodge skill, decides to trust to range difficulty. I give him a +1D bonus for 1/4 cover from the forest. The trooper still drills him. The wookiee rolls meh with his Strength 5D and gets a 15 I think. I ask him he wants to spend any character points, and he says no. I roll the troopers 4D blaster rifle .... (6+6+6+6+6+1)+5+6+4 for a total of 45. A difference of 30! The wookiee falls like a dead tree.

Of course the guy asks me if he is dead. I explain he is out. Everyone assumes he is dead. I figured it was a bad way to go out as a hero. So when it was all done and they checked on him, I had them make a Moderate first aid roll and use a medpac to bring him out of it. I explained he had been HEAVILY stunned and that he would have a -1D penalty to all his skill checks until he had a full day of restful recuperation. Granted they are on the run from the Empire, running through the Edan II forest ...

And before you ask why did I not just fudge the roll? I accidentally rolled it in the clear and everyone saw it. I couldn't take the roll away.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shootingwomprats, I want to join your game.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Shootingwomprats, I want to join your game.

I run this game on Roll20, Sundays @1500 CST (GMT-6). I currently have eight people. So no room at this time.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW? Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I need help, communal brain. Are there rules for getting acid thrown on/spat at you? As in how the damage would work, how to neutralize it, if it can be healed by bacta, etc.

Model: Golan Arms Blister Blaster
Type: Slug thrower
Scale: Character
Skill: Firearms
Ammo: 8
Cost: 300
Availability: 3, F or R
Fire Rate: 3
Range: 5-20/40/60
Damage: 4D, 3D second round (due to burns), 2D in third
round, continuing for 1D rounds (due to burns.
Source: Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology (pages 73-74)
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Does SWD6 RAW even have infection rules? Or is that something that's homeruled in the fanmade Medical Sourcebook?

Rules of Engagement Sourcebook. Drinking contaminated water optional rules on pg. 22 is probably as close as you will find.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rules for acid or acid attacks in the RAW? Reply with quote

Error wrote:

The only canon example in the WEG books i see on acid is the Kevlarik Dissuader which has bullets doing 3d phys dam and 3d acid, but lists no rules on said acid damage.. Such as 'does it have to eat the armor before it can get at the underlying flesh?

As for bacta, i would treat it as fire damage, and it takes more than just a dunk in bacta to cure, it takes a long, lengthy process of skin grafts and the like..
Also depending on how wounded someone got from it, even with skin grafts and such they may never look the same..

Sutehp wrote:

Murky water? Did he get his wounds infected too? If he didn't, then you overlooked another possible complication right there.

Valid point S.. Would the acid create an opening for wounds to be infected if someone 'washes off in dirty water"??

Error wrote:
The thing about acid attacks is that if I admit them, a hit in the head or chest is basically a death sentence. The more time that passes, the more damage it is going to do if it is powerful enough. Solvents, even water, will be completely absent in some scenarios and the PC will die.

Well, without medical supplies such as medpacks, you can't even use the first aid skill, so if someone normally gets mortally wounded, they will still die..

Plus depending on the acid's caustic levels, it might just create surface burns (like if you get lye over your skin), vs eating you totally up, like a dunk in sulfuric acid..

shootingwomprats wrote:

And before you ask why did I not just fudge the roll? I accidentally rolled it in the clear and everyone saw it. I couldn't take the roll away.

That's still fudging it, if you willfully ignroed that result.. It imo also set a bad precedent for the future, where if you roll something in the open, you will just ignore the result if that would have killed someone..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with several different types of acid on a regular basis (titanium process line). Here's what I know:

Nitric acid: will burn like a SOB until rinsed off or neutralized, but will only be fatal in a dunking situation.
Hydrofluoric acid: 25 square centimeters on your skin and you are dead.
Caustic Soda: a strong base, will burn until rinsed off or neutralized, more painful than Nitric.

I have been burned by Nitric and Caustic. I have a small scar from the Nitric burn and a slightly larger scar from the caustic.

My 2 cents: in a galaxy as big as Star Wars acids would be widely varied. Make your own rules that suit your needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: