The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kindalo species write-up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Kindalo species write-up? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Kindalo species write-up? Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with stats for the Kindalo? There's only one episode of TCW with them, and there is very little screen time, so we don't have much to go on.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone come up with stats for the Kindalo? There's only one episode of TCW with them, and there is very little screen time, so we don't have much to go on.

I liked those guys, they seemed really interesting...so did the rest of that underworld on Aleen, pity we didn't get to see more of it.

As far as I know though, they haven't been statted yet.

Have you considered giving them a try yourself?

Xain
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Quote:

I liked those guys, they seemed really interesting...so did the rest of that underworld on Aleen, pity we didn't get to see more of it.

As far as I know though, they haven't been statted yet.

Have you considered giving them a try yourself?

Xain

I have and I probably will. The only issue is they are like 3-3.5 m tall, which is hard for a PC. I imagine they have immense Strength but most of the rest is going to be guesswork, mainly because they are only on screen and interacting with C-3PO an R2-D2 for like two minutes. Orphne could use stats too, though her race is unknown (though it is implied she is a Kindalo in another form.)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
The only issue is they are like 3-3.5 m tall, which is hard for a PC. I imagine they have immense Strength but most of the rest is going to be guesswork...

Keep in mind they are symbiotically part of the interior planets ecosystem and find other atmosphere, even there own outside the interior, is considered tainted or poisonous. As for them having great strength, I cannot remember the episode, but did they show them having great strength? Did they show them using primitive weapons?

I only things I could suggest would be Primitive Culture, Long Lifespan and possibly Plant Anatomy wherein would suffered are one level lower?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I would say that they would have a low DEX score. Perhaps a 1D-3D. Move seems like it should be low also perhaps Move 7-9. Strength, well thats a GM call. I think most gamers would associate tall and tree like character with great strength however as Shootingwomprats mentioned, you havenn't seen it on scene. Plus another thing to consider, if they were strong, why didn't they just chuck rocks up into the hole?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this?

Species: Kindalo
Home Planet: Aleen

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY: 1D+1/3D+1
KNOWLEDGE: 1D+2/3D+2
MECHANICAL: 2D/4D
PERCEPTION: 1D+2/3D+2
STRENGTH: 3D/4D+2
TECHNICAL: 1D+1/3D+1

Special Abilities:
Long Lifespan:
Kindalo are long-lived. On average they can reach and sometimes exceed 300 standard years old. Adult size is reached by age 80, and Kindalo found in the Galaxy as adventurers, though they are exceedingly rare, are generally at least 100.

Plantlike Anatomy:
Though Kindalo are not plants but "near-plantlike creatures" (e.g. they do not root or photosynthesize), they still share some characteristics with plants (specifically trees). These include: thick, bark-like hide and wood-like flesh (+2D to Strength when resisting weapons not based on electrocution), large size (3 to 3.5 meters in height), long limbs (+1D to Brawling), and plantlike vascular systems (+2D to Strength or Endurance when resisting or metabolizing poisons).

Bioluminescent Skin:
Kindalo bodies are mostly dark brown or black, but they also feature bioluminescent striping, a characteristic which serves two purposes—helping a Kindalo to see in darkness, and as an indicator of health and/or mood. Each Kindalo can increase or decrease the brightness of these stripes at will (they can even go completely dark if they wish to hide). At peak brightness, this light illuminates a 10 meter radius around the Kindalo, and any visual Search checks made within this area are not subject to any low light penalties. The brightness of these stripes is also indicative of the Kindalo's mood (the brighter, the more intense the emotion), age, and/or health, with infirm or wounded individuals being less bright and older individuals being brightest. A dead Kindalo goes completely black within ten minutes of dying.

Game Notes:
Poisoned by Oxygen:
The Kindalo species is endemic to the subterranean parts of the planet Aleen, where it lives in a semi-symbiotic way with the surface-dwelling Aleena species. This semi-symbiosis is actually just an ancient agreement between the two species to keep the atmospheres of the surface and the subterranean areas separate. As near-plantlike creatures, Kindalo breathe CO2 and are sensitive to oxygen, and hence they are vulnerable to Type I atmospheres. Unless they use some kind of breath mask or similar apparatus when in an atmosphere with greater than 5% oxygen (in the form of O2), they will take 1D damage for each hour spent in it, with an additional 1D added for each hour past the first (e.g. in the third hour, they take 3D damage). However, they need neither breath masks nor body suits for many other atmospheres that prompt other species to wear them, as long as such atmospheres contain at least 5% CO2 and less than 5% O2.

Primitive Culture:
Kindalo have had little contact with the Galaxy's other organisms outside whatever else dwells in the interior of their own planet, and thus are usually fairly naive when it comes to things like other sapient species, cultures, planets, languages, and scholarly skills. Any Knowledge or Knowledge skill checks involving things like alien species or cultures are automatically increased by one difficulty level for Kindalo, or if the roll is opposed by another character rather than just a static difficulty (such as a Kindalo trying Intimidation on, say, a Weequay), the Kindalo receives a -1D penalty to that roll.

Rarity:
Since Kindalo are large and easily poisoned/killed by oxygen, and are only found in a very isolated biome (the very condition-specific environment of the caverns inside Aleen), a player must have a very good reason for choosing one as a player character (PC). They are so rare, in fact, that even if a player has a good reason for choosing a Kindalo as a PC, he or she must still roll 1D. If the result is a 1 or a 6, that player may proceed with creating the PC as a Kindalo. Any other result means that player must choose a different species.

Move: 6/8
Size: 3 to 3.5 m

Last edited by Error on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say they would need a full on body suit, not just a breath mask.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I would say they would need a full on body suit, not just a breath mask.

Again something garkhal and I agree on. If they are more like a sentient plant imbued with life through the actions of the Force then I would think they probably do not have organs as humanoids do and would be more akin to a plant, which oxygenates and gains nutrition from osmosis for both atmosphere and food. Well, also through roots, yeah, that too.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am on my tablet so I don't have access to any of the books. Can someone direct me to examples of Primitive Culture and Plant Anatomy?

I could be wrong, but I think shootingwomprats might have been referring to some possible Special Abilities rather than an existing rule or Skills

Another thing to consider is they are Phosphorescent according to the Wiki article, so that should probably be included somewhere.

Nice sats so far though Smile

Xain
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Quote:
I am on my tablet so I don't have access to any of the books. Can someone direct me to examples of Primitive Culture and Plant Anatomy?

I could be wrong, but I think shootingwomprats might have been referring to some possible Special Abilities rather than an existing rule or Skills

Another thing to consider is they are Phosphorescent according to the Wiki article, so that should probably be included somewhere.

Nice sats so far though Smile

Xain

Thanks. I was rewatching the scene and I noticed that they seem to be uneven, meaning thicker and stronger looking on one side. So I was thinking of making 4D+1 on one side and 4D+2 on the other. Or even 4D+1 and 5D!

EDIT: In the interest of making the character species fun and easier to play for the new and veteran player alike, while also making it also more manageable for a GM, yet still vulnerable much of the time, I am just sticking with needing a breathmask for now.

FURTHER EDIT: He italicized them, so I assumed he had seen them somewhere.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Thanks. I was rewatching the scene and I noticed that they seem to be uneven, meaning thicker and stronger looking on one side. So I was thinking of making 4D+1 on one side and 4D+2 on the other. Or even 4D+1 and 5D!

Good lord no! D6 is not supposed to be a nitty gritty detailed game. Also you need to get your head around a modifier/special ability/etc as an FX.

Example: +1D modifier to brawling. This could be flopping wrists, big hands, upper body strength, claws, dexterity...any FX you want to encompass that modifier.

In Star Wars a lot of things are narrative or FX. That does not mean they warrant or need a modifier.

Quote:
EDIT: In the interest of making the character species fun and easier to play for the new and veteran player alike, while also making it also more manageable for a GM, yet still vulnerable much of the time, I am just sticking with needing a breathmask for now.

This up to you but I don't think this is a species that would leave their hollow planet. Other atmospheres are a detriment to them. So much so, they spent the at 13,000 in seclusion. Not all species should be made available to players. BUT you can do however you like in your game.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

FURTHER EDIT: He italicized them, so I assumed he had seen them somewhere.

Exactly how is making them need a measly breathmask making 'them vulnerable much of the time/manageable??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Error wrote:

Good lord no! D6 is not supposed to be a nitty gritty detailed game. Also you need to get your head around a modifier/special ability/etc as an FX.

Example: +1D modifier to brawling. This could be flopping wrists, big hands, upper body strength, claws, dexterity...any FX you want to encompass that modifier.

In Star Wars a lot of things are narrative or FX. That does not mean they warrant or need a modifier.

Quote:

This up to you but I don't think this is a species that would leave their hollow planet. Other atmospheres are a detriment to them. So much so, they spent the at 13,000 in seclusion. Not all species should be made available to players. BUT you can do however you like in your game.

Not to rude but I don't need to wrap my head around anything ;D When it comes to FX versus actual bonuses, there's a fuzzy gray line between the two in the SWU, one I like to cross sometimes.

I also never said this was a species my own personal SWU would be seeing a lot of. If one of my players wants to play one, though, I want him or her to be able to do that.

Splitting the sides was meant to be a joke. Readers seem to install their own tone. Especially around here...

As for how needing a breathmask makes a species vulnerable, garhkal, I know you can figure that out.

The cardinal rule for fan-made write-ups is: Don't like it? Don't use it/go make your own.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Not to rude but I don't need to wrap my head around anything ;D When it comes to FX versus actual bonuses, there's a fuzzy gray line between the two in the SWU, one I like to cross sometimes.

I do apologize, when I went back and read my comment I did come across a bit crass. That had not been the intent. I was not trying to point out something you were doing incorrectly. Star Wars in one of those games that is unlike others because of its narrative style. Those coming from, say a D&D background, often have trouble making the adjustment in their approach to the game and its mechanics. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Quote:
I also never said this was a species my own personal SWU would be seeing a lot of. If one of my players wants to play one, though, I want him or her to be able to do that.

Again, I think you are getting hog piled in your creation. Your approach is an inclusive one that would allow your players to have such a species as for their character. Others, myself included, do not feel, given the background and what we have seen in the cartoon, that it makes a lot of sense to create this as a playable species.

I think I get your thought process about it though. It is the SWU and a way can be figured out that can justify it outside of its normal environment.

Quote:
The cardinal rule for fan-made write-ups is: Don't like it? Don't use it/go make your own.

Oh absolutely. I am the first one to champion a person creating something and telling others to leave them alone. If they don't like and cannot be constructive instead of a jerk, then don't say nothing.

Good job btw, and thank you for putting some stats on this species. Huzzzah!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I do apologize, when I went back and read my comment I did come across a bit crass. That had not been the intent. I was not trying to point out something you were doing incorrectly. Star Wars in one of those games that is unlike others because of its narrative style. Those coming from, say a D&D background, often have trouble making the adjustment in their approach to the game and its mechanics. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

No worries man. People (myself included) can get sensitive on the internet. In the House Rules forum in particular there seem to be quite a few people who would rather have things "their way" than ones who realize that others' creations are in no way bonded to them and they are free to alter, ignore, or simply not include something. The latter type are they who just give a "thumbs up" or "good job" and move on to something that actually relates to them.

Anyway, back to Kindalo, I created some special rules for them based on what we have seen, and also attempted to make them rare and vulnerable as well. I also took some stuff (like the bioluminescent striping) and ran with it, expanding far beyond the bounds of what we have actually seen. None of it really affects gameplay that much, I feel. Also, they are obviously not plants because they live in darkness, but what I call "near-plantlike beings," and as such, I gave them some treelike characteristics (thick skin/tough flesh and resistance to poison, namely). So before anyone yells "THAT WASN'T IN THE SHOW!", I readily admit that these things were not seen in TCW or anywhere else, but are extrapolations or furtherances of my own based on what we have seen. Refer to the original post where I began my write-up to see these changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: