The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lodestar-class Star Dreadnought
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lodestar-class Star Dreadnought Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. Obviously, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm half-past-done with this ship anyway.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Fine. Obviously, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm half-past-done with this ship anyway.

Sorry. I hope I didn't irritate you. That wasn't my intention.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me either, that also wasn't my intent. If I could concisely say what my last post was meant to:

No matter what time period we're talking about in the SWU, there will be multiple models of starship weapons for each individual type. The type used depends on multiple factors (cost, availability, power requirements, your objectives) and that means different weapons get put on different ships, and this does not always mean there has been any technological breakthrough.

CRMcNeill, people argue with you because you have a very intelligent online presence. Just so you know. It makes ME feel insecure sometimes. Either way I would be sad to see you go from this thread, but I understand if commenting on threads with wolfish defenders (me?) isn't exactly your idea of a vacation.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A final argument, then...

While your scenario is not impossible, it is highly improbable, for a variety of reasons.

The evidence strongly indicates that the Empire's economy operates on a Facist model, witb an authoritarian central government that has a close working relationship with many large corporations (KDY, Seinar, TaggeCo, etc.). These companies have a great deal of personal autonomy, contingent upon continued loyalty to the state (crony capitalism)

The companies themselves have multiple sub-units for the manufacture of their starship components. In particular, we know KDY has its own internal weapons R&D and manufacturing branch (see the KDY v-150 Anti-Orbital Ion Cannon and the w-165 Planetary Turbolaser). There is no indication that this company division ever went out of business (the v-150 and w-165 are both still available New as of the Battle of Endor). Due to the sheer size and political influence of KDY, it is highly unlikely they could be forced to purchase an outside product for political reasons.

It is also unlikely that cost-cutting factors into their thinkjng. The Empire has an entire galaxy for its tax base, and that tax base has little or no say in how their money is spent (the Senate was little more than a rubber stamp under Palpatine).

One must also factor in the Impsrial mindset of uniformity. As much as possible, they use the exact same equipment, whether it be capital ships, starfighters, even soldiers (see clones). They generally only vary when forced to.

In fact, because of the era in which you are placing this thing, I'd be more inclined to base its weapons off the Imperial I instead of the Imperial II.

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go back a few posts and reiterate that true technological advances take a long time. In the SWU I would expect hundreds or even thousands of years for a true "technological advance" in weaponry to occur. So that means that the weapons available under the Empire's piddly 24-year reign, well, I'd be surprised if the actual technology changed at all. The only thing that changes between individual ships is gun model/configuration.

I also contend that not every single shipbuilder in the Empire-era SWU has a department for their own weapon-building. In fact, I'd be surprised to learn if any of them realy did. If they did, why are weapons on KDY ships not different from those on RDS ships? I'm sorry, but that's flawed logic there.

Most of the guns for the US military are outsourced, for example; at least the deck guns on ships that correspond to the guns we're discussing. Seinar I could see building their own guns because of the TIE line, but other than that, if SWU business follows the pattern of the real world at all, the shipbuilders are not developing most of the weapons—other companies are. And like I said before, the Empire was not very friendly toward smaller businesses, though I could see them sidling up next to weapons manufacturers.

What among your argument originates in the RAW? Just out of curiosity. I think I'm going to continue coming back to that particular thing because I am seeing a lot of opinions masquerading as logic or even fact which are nowhere to be found in the rulebooks or even supplements, and at base appear to be assumptions based on a personal SWU or things which have been crammed into "verisimilitude", as we like to call it around here. This is not aimed specifically at your arguments, either, so please don't think I'm singling you out Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, your argument is that "if it isn't in the RAW, it must not be true."

You should probably change your signature, then.

[/interest]

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, your argument is that "if it isn't in the RAW, it must not be true."

You should probably change your signature, then.

[/interest]

Well no, that's not my contention. House rules rock and I use tons of them. All I'm doing is challenging a few assumptions of yours about armament and the necessary "sameness" of armament on one ship to another. I suppose I should just say "my SWU admits that for each starship weapon, there are probably a few different models with different FC/Damage configurations." I'm sorry if I came off like I don't appreciate the help.

Frankly you are usually one of the only ones who makes sense on this site. As I understand it, my current weapon config (it's in the OP) is within the bounds of your definition of "technologically possible" at the Lodestar's locus in time. Which means I pretty much capitulated to your objections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: