The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Developing a New Star System and Sector
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Developing a New Star System and Sector
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enderborn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Developing a New Star System and Sector Reply with quote

Alright so this is sort of a branch off of my last topic where I asked for help creating an story for my Adventure.
I've decided to set my series of Adventures in a brand new Star Sector. The Adventure is somewhat based off of the game Star Wars Uprising.
My basic story is that after the destruction of the first Death Star the Ilis (Thats the name I gave this system) Sector is isolated and blockaded by the Empire, so that the news should not reach the people inside the Ilis Sector.
I've decided that I want there to be three Star Systems within the Ilis Sector. One I want to be a heavily Imperial system. On the planets in the Imperial System I want all the planets there to be tightly under the control of the Empire with Bases, Test Ranges, Training Centers and Fortresses. Speaking of Fortresses I want one of the planets to be a Imperial Fortress world where the Moff of the Sector and other high ranking Individuals rule from. I kind of want the players to go to one of the Imperial worlds at the end of the first Chapter, I guess you could say.
One Sector I want to be a sparely populated Wild Space, with many Criminal Hideout, Seedy Cantinas, and even some old ruins from past civilizations.
The Other System is where I want the series to start out. I plan for it to be the hub of the Sector with the Sectors main planet being Kyben, where the game begins. The Empire keeps a close eye on this System since there are many mines in the area that provide materials for expanding the Empire rule. That is also the reason it is so important to stop the Rebellion from spreading to the Sector.
So yeah i need some ideas on generating these planets so any suggestions are valuable.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first off, Wild Space is a region beyond the Outer Rim. It's called Wild Space precisely because it's completely unsettled by any Republic or Imperial colonies. Now, there can be smuggler bases and criminal hideouts galore throughout your sector, but they're not "Wild Space" just because they're inhabited by criminals. That's the first thing.

Also, only three settled star systems in a sector is a really sparsely inhabited sector. There are Outer Rim sectors (the region of the galaxy that is notorious for being sparsely populated backwaters) that have six times as many settled star systems. Now if there are more inhabited systems that you just haven't given thought to building yet, that's one thing. But saying that there are only 3 star systems in your sector is a really tiny sector.

Third question: In which region is Ilis Sector located? Is it in the Outer Rim (most likely)? Mid Rim? Inner Rim? If you want this sector to be isolated and easily blockaded, the Outer Rim is probably your best bet since all of the Outer Rim is considered a backwater by the rest of the galaxy but has plenty of resources to be exploited. (Hell, that's why Grand Moff Tarkin was the governor/commander of OverSector: Outer, the Oversector consisting of the entire Outer Rim; the Emperor didn't trust anyone else with the responsibility of running Oversector: Outer since it was so crucial to building the Death Star.)

You'll find some inspiration for planets in the Planets and Location section of this forum. Hell, if you need a mining planet, I just drew up Balneal, a tidally locked ocean planet that the Empire has just started to mine, much to the displeasure of its inhabitants. (Don't mind the shameless plug I just did.) And since it's an ocean world, the Empire will likely maintain an Imperial Aquatic Garrison, rather than a land-based garrison. See http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Aquatic_Garrison

If you need inspiration for pirate bases and such, check out the WEG book Hideouts & Strongholds. That book is a godsend for creating bases of all kinds, Rebel, Imperial and independent alike.

Last edited by Sutehp on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enderborn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ill keep what you said in mind.
I will go with the Out Rim area and will start working on creating Systems and Planets for those systems.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else that you might find very useful is the planet creation system found in the Star Wars Planets Collection, 2nd Edition WEG book on pp.7-28. That stuff is a godsend for designing Star Wars planets.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of interest.

It's a dice-rolling system to generate a sector hyperspace route map.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing. If its so heavily imperial controlled, with fortresses etc, how/why is that one system so heavily criminal controlled without the empire coming in and wiping it out?
Also if its THAT imperially controlled i would think it would be closer to inner or mid rim than outer rim..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: