The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebels in A New Hope
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Rebels in A New Hope Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Rebels in A New Hope Reply with quote

OK watching epIV and I caught a Rebels reference, ok I know it didn't start out as one, but you could say it is now.

as the ep IV cast arrives on Yavin and their taxi stops you can hear "Phoenix Squadron" being called on the P.A.

Even if the Ghost crew didn't make it out of the battle of Scraf some of the supporting cast did, why didn't they participate in the Battle of Yavin? well the Ghost is too big for a Trench Run, the A-Wings could have bean too shot up at Scraf to participate and Yavin doesn't look like it hosts a Capital scale yard for all the Big Tin that got blasted at Scraf.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebels in a New Hope Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
OK watching epIV and I caught a Rebels reference, ok I know it didn't start out as one, but you could say it is now.

as the ep IV cast arrives on Yavin and their taxi stops you can hear "Phoenix Squadron" being called on the P.A.

Confirmed! I went and just watched this scene myself to see the truth of this. It really does sound like the P.A. announcer is saying "Phoenix Squadron" although the rest of the announcement is too garbled to make out.

DB 2.0 wrote:
Even if the Ghost crew didn't make it out of the battle of Scraf some of the supporting cast did, why didn't they participate in the Battle of Yavin? well the Ghost is too big for a Trench Run, the A-Wings could have bean too shot up at Scraf to participate and Yavin doesn't look like it hosts a Capital scale yard for all the Big Tin that got blasted at Scraf.

We didn't see any A-Wings at Scarif, just Y- and X-Wings consisting of Gold, Red and Blue Squadrons (and Blue Squadron was wiped out at Scarif). The simpler explanation is that there weren't any A-Wings based at Yavin 4. Also, assuming there were any A-Wings based in a starfighter base anywhere in the Gordian Reach Sector (where Yavin is located), they might not have had time to reinforce Yavin Base before the Death Star arrived.

Also, the Rebel ships that escaped Scarif would have known better than to jump back to Yavin 4 and give the Empire a way to track them back to Yavin Base. Vader's Star Destroyer had a much better chance to track and pursue the Tantive IV since Scarif is in the same sector as Tatooine. That's a really short jump and thus is far easier to track through hyperspace.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I'm not so sure, the Imps where just running one reactor and it just intersected the top of the tower before going on to strike over the horizon (from sea level P.o.V.), I'm not saying Blue Squadron and the ground forces are not in a very bad way, in fact I'd say they are not combat operational and may not have bean able to make it back to Yavin.

Heck I've got a plot for "Rouge Two", some of the survivors (not "Rouge One") are able to get a transmission off of Scarif, the movie is about rustling up a team and ships to extract the survivors, meanwhile the survivors are fighting running gorilla battles against the remains of the Imperial Garrison, Who can get their first the Rebel excretion team or the Imperial relief force?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
See I'm not so sure, the Imps where just running one reactor and it just intersected the top of the tower before going on to strike over the horizon (from sea level P.o.V.), I'm not saying Blue Squadron and the ground forces are not in a very bad way, in fact I'd say they are not combat operational and may not have bean able to make it back to Yavin.

You remember how much devastation was caused on Jedha just by "one reactor," right? That one "low-powered" blast caused more destruction than any nuke we humans could design in the real world. Remember the shockwave that encompassed hundreds, if not thousands, of square miles? No one could survive that, DB.

Hell, Tarkin firing on Scarif just to get rid of the rebel commandos and his rival Director Krennic was done to remind the viewers of his reputation for overkill. He didn't have to fire the superlaser again to kill the rebels since they were being overrun by Imperial troops anyway. But Tarkin did need a convenient way to get rid of Krennic so he could claim the Death Star for himself. Remember that Tarkin fired on the Empire's own Archive and obliterated thousands of his own troops just so he could get rid of Krennic.

And even if Blue Squadron and assorted members of Rogue One survived, how long do you think they'd last trapped on an Imperial-occupied planet where they're outnumbered by at least 1,000 to 1? Even if the ground garrison is destroyed, if some of the Rebels survived, then some of the Imperials did too and they're alot more numerous. And don't forget about all the Imperials still in orbit....

DB 2.0 wrote:
Heck I've got a plot for "Rouge Two", some of the survivors (not "Rouge One") are able to get a transmission off of Scarif, the movie is about rustling up a team and ships to extract the survivors, meanwhile the survivors are fighting running gorilla battles against the remains of the Imperial Garrison, Who can get their first the Rebel excretion team or the Imperial relief force?

It strains my credulity to think that the Rebel Alliance would send a rescue team to Scarif just after most of their fleet went through the meatgrinder there just to rescue a few dozen people at most, all of whom had no chance to outrun the superlaser blast.

But it's your SWU, man.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Fleet Shattered & Scatted, Yavin Base being Abandoned, perhaps a band of Renegade Rebels could get it in to their heads go against orders and mount a rescue mission?
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebels in a New Hope Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
Even if the Ghost crew didn't make it out of the battle of Scraf some of the supporting cast did, why didn't they participate in the Battle of Yavin?

I'll have to wait until a second viewing of the movie, or once footage winds up online before then, but did you happen to notice if the Ghost is one of the ships that managed to make the jump to lightspeed? Hopefully it wasn't one of the ships that crashed into Vader's Star Destroyer!

Will have to re-watch that scene in A New Hope and listen for Phoenix Squadron!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and saw RO a second time specifically to see if I could find the Ghost at the Battle of Scarif but I couldn't. Considering how fast those space battle scenes change, it's no wonder I couldn't find the Ghost. So I don't know if the Ghost made it out or not.

As for the ships that managed to escape, I didn't see it myself, but I'm told the Hammerhead-class corvette that played such a prominent role in the battle did get away just before the Devastator appeared.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering tge timescale, I could see a rebel cell leaving Yavin swinging by Scarif on their own before continuing to a new rendezvous point... The end of Rogue One heavily implies that ANH will start in a few hours (the time between Scarif and Tattooine), and so, even with transit times, there might not be more than a couple weeks between Jyn getting freed and Yavin being evacuated.

Of course, they'll find no survivors of Scarif, unless they were in a crippled large ship
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until January 2nd, please use the makeshift spoiler tagging for Rogue One spoilers in this thread and all threads outside of the one "spoilers allowed" thread. I had to edit several posts here.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I went and saw RO a second time specifically to see if I could find the Ghost at the Battle of Scarif but I couldn't. Considering how fast those space battle scenes change, it's no wonder I couldn't find the Ghost. So I don't know if the Ghost made it out or not.

By including the Ghost and Chopper in the film, we now already know they won't be destroyed in Rebels. By referring to Hera Syndulla we know she won't die before the movie (and that she will get promoted). That's a lot of revelation about Rebels as it is. I'm pretty sure the movie would not go even further by showing the Ghost getting destroyed or escaping the battle. That would go beyond easter eggs and steal too much dramatic value from Rebels. They should want to leave at least some uncertainty about their fate.

Sutehp wrote:
Hell, Tarkin firing on Scarif just to get rid of the rebel commandos and his rival Director Krennic was done to remind the viewers of his reputation for overkill. He didn't have to fire the superlaser again to kill the rebels since they were being overrun by Imperial troops anyway. But Tarkin did need a convenient way to get rid of Krennic so he could claim the Death Star for himself. Remember that Tarkin fired on the Empire's own Archive and obliterated thousands of his own troops just so he could get rid of Krennic.

I just came back from my third viewing of Rogue One. Tarkin didn’t destroy the Scarif Imperial security complex just to kill Krennic to take over the Death Star. Tarkin and Vader formed the bottom two points of an Imperial triumvirate in canon, so Grand Moff Tarkin outranked Krennic (who seems to have a rank equivalent to admiral). While Krennic was in command of the Death Star project, he could be blamed for delays and shortcomings. Tarkin was always planning on taking command of the Death Star once it was proven. And Tarkin straight out told Krennic he was taking command of the Death Star at Jedha, so he already had control of it before the Battle of Scarif. Tarkin destroyed the Scarif Imperial security complex primarily to contain the Death Star plans, but of course he was too late to prevent the transmission to the Rebels.

DB 2.0 wrote:

DB 2.0 wrote:
With the Fleet Shattered & Scatted, Yavin Base being Abandoned, perhaps a band of Renegade Rebels could get it in to their heads go against orders and mount a rescue mission?

As Sutehp and MrNexx have indicated, there's no one left for the Rebels to rescue on Scarif. The Death Star blast totally destroyed the entire Imperial complex and surrounding area, so all the Rebel ground forces were toast. Like on Jedha, the only things that could possibly escape the wave of destruction would be ships. Any Rebel ships would have escaped i their hyperdrives works. If their hyperdrives were damaged so they were stranded in the system, then there would have been a large number of TIE fighters from the battle to hunt them down.

But yes, your game is set in your SWU, so if you want there to be survivors for an RPG adventure on Scarif, then you can handwave it to be.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like the Ghost manages to escape Scarif, on my second viewing it looks like its one of the ships heading for Hyperspace when the Devastator shows up - its off to the left with a clear path away. I could of course have been seeing what i wanted.

My question is why the actual crap would Tarkin blow away scarif like that, its a massive waste of resources and manpower that even the Empire should look at it and go 'uhhhh Wil ? dude ? no.....bad' then again....cartoonishly evil.

I think that maybe mention of Phoenix squadron in a New Hope if it actually happened is where the one from Rebels takes its name so its a reference.....but in reverse.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That would go beyond easter eggs and steal too much dramatic value from Rebels. They should want to leave at least some uncertainty about their fate.

This of course makes perfect sense, and something I should have readily seen right away. Quite an ignominious end crashing into Vader's Star Destroyer would've been! Thank you for assuaging my fears, Whill. Long may Chirrut guard you and yours.

Whill wrote:
I just came back from my third viewing of Rogue One... Tarkin destroyed the Scarif Imperial security complex primarily to contain the Death Star plans, but of course he was too late to prevent the transmission to the Rebels.

Annnd beat me to it.

Last edited by Telsij on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Thank you for assuaging my fears, Whill. Long may Chirrut guard you and yours.

May the Force of Others be with you.

RedKnight wrote:
I think that maybe mention of Phoenix squadron in a New Hope if it actually happened is where the one from Rebels takes its name so its a reference

I agree that is most likely. Very clever of them.

RedKnight wrote:
My question is why the actual crap would Tarkin blow away scarif like that, its a massive waste of resources and manpower that even the Empire should look at it and go 'uhhhh Wil ? dude ? no.....bad' then again....cartoonishly evil.

In a screenplay draft of RotJ, the Emperor orders Moff Jerjerrod to destroy the Forest Moon if the Rebels destroy the shield generator. Jerjerrod objects to killing all of their own men. Later when the tide of the battle turned against the Empire, Jerjerrod did order to blast the moon but the Death Star was destroyed before it could fire. This version of events did make it into the novelization of the movie.

Regarding Tarkin in RO, containing the first Death Star plans was more important than all the personnel and resources on Scarif. From the founding of the Empire, it was always the Emperor's plan to disband the Imperial Senate, but he could not do so before the Death Star was completed (to rule the galaxy completely through fear of the battle station). The Death Star was key. I think the Emperor would quite approve of Tarkin's decision to blast Scarif. Thankfully for the Rebellion, Tarkin was not successful at the containment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hera is not yet a General (SWR Season 3), but may by the time of ANH, but their is already a Syndulla out there with the title of General, by the name of Cham, so no guarantee more than one of them will survive till 0BBY
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it had been confirmed I think by Pablo Hidalgo they were calling for Hera, not Cham. My favorite pet theory is that the crew of the Ghost were being called in so they would be charged with infiltrating Scarif to get the DS schematics. A plan that went out the window when Rogue One left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: