The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vikuve (tidally locked mining world) (5 min read)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Vikuve (tidally locked mining world) (5 min read) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some editions to the text and added some italics to help folks navigate the description.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Also, if we're talking about verisimilitude or "realness" in Star Wars...

...How is there oxygen in Hoth's atmosphere?

Why wouldn't there be any oxygen in Hoth's atmosphere? It wouldn't take much for Earth to become a snowball like Hoth; if all the carbon were removed from Earth's atmosphere, Earth wouldn't be able to trap enough heat to stay warm and would wind up looking like Hoth. Only 3 or 4 atoms out of every 10,000 atoms in Earth's atmosphere are carbon and that tiny amount of carbon is enough to maintain Earth's temperate atmosphere. (In fact, its humanity's rapid addition of carbon through fossil fuel burning to our atmosphere that is causing global warming.) How is it not possible that Hoth would simply lack any carbon in its atmosphere and thus be the frigid planet we all know and love? That seems perfectly plausible to me...

Error wrote:
...How is there such a dense understory on dim old Dagobah?

Maybe it was just a cloudy few days while Luke was there? Or maybe Luke landed on Dagobah during the rainy season?

Error wrote:
...How exactly is Naboo filled completely with water?

Heh, even the Old Republic planetologists couldn't figure it out. (I think this is a definite lampshade hanging to the audience/fans that a terrestrial planet with a water core is a complete @ss pull.)

Error wrote:
...Why is there type II-III (and moist) atmosphere inside a space slug in an asteroid?

Because no one wanted to make Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher wear spacesuits that would have obscured their faces even more than the breathing masks would have. (In-universe, I have no idea, unless such things were byproducts of the space slug's anatomy, but even then, how would such an atmosphere not escape every time the slug opened its mouth?)

Error wrote:
...What in the hell is a repulsorlift?

A device that creates an antigravity field around an object so it's easier to move. (Granted, gravity only goes one way; it pulls, but it can't push. So maybe a repulsorlift somehow "negates" the gravitational field of a planet? That would be awesome if it were possible...)

Error wrote:
...Or for that matter, a lightsaber?

I think I remember reading that a lightsaber is essentially a bar of plasma like a blaster bolt that is basically "frozen" in place. Considering that powerful Force users can "freeze" blaster bolts in midair, that idea isn't too absurd....

Error wrote:
See my point? If "true to science" is what you're looking for, the SWU is not where you're gonna find it. Even Arthur C. Clarke and Robert A. Heinlein and Frank Herbert (some of the biggest writers in the scifi biz [all dead]) made logic sacrifices or just straight up skipped explanation rampantly throughout their works.

Heh, I know better than to think of Star Wars as "true science," w/e that means. That's why we Star Wars fans use the word "verisimilitude" -- the appearance of being true or real.

EDIT: I reread your entry on Vikuve. It looks great now.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Error wrote:
Also, if we're talking about verisimilitude or "realness" in Star Wars...

...How is there oxygen in Hoth's atmosphere?

Why wouldn't there be any oxygen in Hoth's atmosphere? It wouldn't take much for Earth to become a snowball like Hoth; if all the carbon were removed from Earth's atmosphere, Earth wouldn't be able to trap enough heat to stay warm and would wind up looking like Hoth. Only 3 or 4 atoms out of every 10,000 atoms in Earth's atmosphere are carbon and that tiny amount of carbon is enough to maintain Earth's temperate atmosphere. (In fact, its humanity's rapid addition of carbon through fossil fuel burning to our atmosphere that is causing global warming.) How is it not possible that Hoth would simply lack any carbon in its atmosphere and thus be the frigid planet we all know and love? That seems perfectly plausible to me...

Error wrote:
...How is there such a dense understory on dim old Dagobah?

Maybe it was just a cloudy few days while Luke was there? Or maybe Luke landed on Dagobah during the rainy season?

Error wrote:
...How exactly is Naboo filled completely with water?

Heh, even the Old Republic planetologists couldn't figure it out. (I think this is a definite lampshade hanging to the audience/fans that a terrestrial planet with a water core is a complete @ss pull.)

Error wrote:
...Why is there type II-III (and moist) atmosphere inside a space slug in an asteroid?

Because no one wanted to make Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher wear spacesuits that would have obscured their faces even more than the breathing masks would have. (In-universe, I have no idea, unless such things were byproducts of the space slug's anatomy, but even then, how would such an atmosphere not escape every time the slug opened its mouth?)

Error wrote:
...What in the hell is a repulsorlift?

A device that creates an antigravity field around an object so it's easier to move. (Granted, gravity only goes one way; it pulls, but it can't push. So maybe a repulsorlift somehow "negates" the gravitational field of a planet? That would be awesome if it were possible...)

Error wrote:
...Or for that matter, a lightsaber?

I think I remember reading that a lightsaber is essentially a bar of plasma like a blaster bolt that is basically "frozen" in place. Considering that powerful Force users can "freeze" blaster bolts in midair, that idea isn't too absurd....

Error wrote:
See my point? If "true to science" is what you're looking for, the SWU is not where you're gonna find it. Even Arthur C. Clarke and Robert A. Heinlein and Frank Herbert (some of the biggest writers in the scifi biz [all dead]) made logic sacrifices or just straight up skipped explanation rampantly throughout their works.

Heh, I know better than to think of Star Wars as "true science," w/e that means. That's why we Star Wars fans use the word "verisimilitude" -- the appearance of being true or real.

EDIT: I reread your entry on Vikuve. It looks great now.

Right on, glad you reread it. As for Hoth, there are no photosynthetic organisms on the entire planet. That means no atmospheric O2. The rest you seem to have realized yourself were ridiculous or at least questionable. Way more questionable than why the backside of a tidally locked planet is frozen. 8)

I am familiar with verisimilitude, though it's still not quite the right word. Its definition (without trying to be pedantic—and failing) is "The appearance of being true or real." Not "The appearance of being true or real within a context." What would be even better is IUV, or in-universe verisimilitude, but good luck getting people to adopt that, even though it's WAY easier to type. lol
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Right on, glad you reread it. As for Hoth, there are no photosynthetic organisms on the entire planet. That means no atmospheric O2.

Damn, you're right, I hadn't thought of that. Then again, there has to be some form of plant life because I think I remember reading that tauntauns are herbivores that each lichen of some sort? And the wampas and tauntauns had to have evolved from something, right? Then again, two (or three, if you include the maybe-lichen) lifeforms do not an ecosystem make.

Error wrote:
The rest you seem to have realized yourself were ridiculous or at least questionable. Way more questionable than why the backside of a tidally locked planet is frozen. 8)

You said "backside" again! DRINK!

Error wrote:
I am familiar with verisimilitude, though it's still not quite the right word. Its definition (without trying to be pedantic—and failing) is "The appearance of being true or real." Not "The appearance of being true or real within a context." What would be even better is IUV, or in-universe verisimilitude, but good luck getting people to adopt that, even though it's WAY easier to type. lol

LOL! Agreed!
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Error wrote:
Right on, glad you reread it. As for Hoth, there are no photosynthetic organisms on the entire planet. That means no atmospheric O2.

d*mn, you're right, I hadn't thought of that. Then again, there has to be some form of plant life because I think I remember reading that tauntauns are herbivores that each lichen of some sort? And the wampas and tauntauns had to have evolved from something, right? Then again, two (or three, if you include the maybe-lichen) lifeforms do not an ecosystem make.

Error wrote:
The rest you seem to have realized yourself were ridiculous or at least questionable. Way more questionable than why the backside of a tidally locked planet is frozen. 8)

You said "backside" again! DRINK!

Error wrote:

LOL! Agreed!

The entire Hoth system makes no sense. At least the planet Hoth doesn't, and neither does the asteroid field. Asteroids are never that close to one another; the ones in our asteroid belt are hundreds if not thousands of kilometers apart. And the likelihood of a space slug evolving to be what it was in TEsB is basically impossible no matter how long a timeline you've got.

If I were a drinker (I'm not) I would drink to "backside". So how about I just go burn one instead? Smile
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
The entire Hoth system makes no sense. At least the planet Hoth doesn't, and neither does the asteroid field. Asteroids are never that close to one another; the ones in our asteroid belt are hundreds if not thousands of kilometers apart. And the likelihood of a space slug evolving to be what it was in TEsB is basically impossible no matter how long a timeline you've got.

If I were a drinker (I'm not) I would drink to "backside". So how about I just go burn one instead? Smile

Heh, the thick asteroid field is such an overused trope, not just in Star Wars but in all sci-fi that there's even a trope named after it: behold, the "Asteroid Thicket!"
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another of those things to dim Episode II in my eyes I guess.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that -100 to -200 Celsius temperature range would make the blackside a Type IV atmosphere rather than anything else, so I changed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: