The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pre-BBY A-Wings (and B-Wings)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Pre-BBY A-Wings (and B-Wings) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy As I read this thread I can't help but think of the SNL skit about SW nerds that aired right after EP7 came out....

Haha! We're a bunch of kids at heart! Razz
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Gawds, the ROTJ novelization has Obi-Wan explain to Luke in the Dagobah scene that after the twins were born, Luke and Leia's mother (she was still nameless then) took baby Leia to Alderaan and served as a handmaiden to the Organas until she died when Leia was roughly 4 years old or so, while Obi-Wan took baby Luke to Owen Lars, who Obi-Wan explicitly refers to as his brother (never mind their different last names!), rather than Anakin Skywalker's stepbrother!

So yeah, the novelizations of the OT are iffy even as Legends continuity. Say what you will about the Prequel Trilogy but even they weren't as bad as some of the ideas in the OT novelizations.

And as far as I know, Project Shantipole was indeed originally a WEG Star Wars adventure module titled Strike Force: Shantipole published back in 1988. I haven't read through the ROTJ novelization cover-to-cover in several years, but I don't recall anything in there about Project: Shantipole either. After reading through the section detailing the second Death Star briefing on Home One, the Mon Cal headquarters cruiser, where Admiral Ackbar is introduced, there is no mention of Project: Shantipole anywhere.

Shantipole could still be where we get the B-Wing from - Hera's prototype did have flaws and probably insanely expensive so its entirely possible they sent it to Dac where Ackbar and a bunch of Mon Cal tech took it apart and are figureing out how to make a more cost effective/easier to produce version.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The original film novelizations are no longer canon either. FYI.
Sutehp wrote:
Gawds, the ROTJ novelization has Obi-Wan explain to Luke in the Dagobah scene that after the twins were born, Luke and Leia's mother (she was still nameless then) took baby Leia to Alderaan and served as a handmaiden to the Organas until she died when Leia was roughly 4 years old or so, while Obi-Wan took baby Luke to Owen Lars, who Obi-Wan explicitly refers to as his brother (never mind their different last names!), rather than Anakin Skywalker's stepbrother!

So yeah, the novelizations of the OT are iffy even as Legends continuity. Say what you will about the Prequel Trilogy but even they weren't as bad as some of the ideas in the OT novelizations.

Iffy indeed. Before the Disney acquisition, the film novelizations were considered canon except in the aspects that were contradicted by film canon, such as the good examples you gave.

Sutehp wrote:
And as far as I know, Project Shantipole was indeed originally a WEG Star Wars adventure module titled Strike Force: Shantipole published back in 1988. I haven't read through the ROTJ novelization cover-to-cover in several years, but I don't recall anything in there about Project: Shantipole either. After reading through the section detailing the second Death Star briefing on Home One, the Mon Cal headquarters cruiser, where Admiral Ackbar is introduced, there is no mention of Project: Shantipole anywhere.

Thanks for checking.

RedKnight wrote:
Shantipole could still be where we get the B-Wing from - Hera's prototype did have flaws and probably insanely expensive so its entirely possible they sent it to Dac where Ackbar and a bunch of Mon Cal tech took it apart and are figureing out how to make a more cost effective/easier to produce version.

Yeah, but sent it to the Roche Asteroid field for Commander Ackbar and a team of Verpine to produce. In the original WEG module, the standard B-Wing had already been produced and the plot of the adventure is based around the new two-man B-Wing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:

As per "Wings of the Master," the Season Two, Episode Five of Rebels, Shantipole is indeed where we get the B-Wing from in canon continuity. The difference is, in Legends, Shatipole was just a project name, while in canon, Shantipole is the name of the planet where the B-Wing was first tested by Quarrie.

And RedKnight is quite correct: that B-Wing that Hera flew was indeed a prototype. Something tells me that the SPOILERprototype cannon that can one-shot a light cruiser is NOT going to be part of the standard B-Wing ordnance. 8)SPOILER ENDS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: