The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Do we have...(or want)...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Do we have...(or want)... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like a separate forum for non-SW D6 discussions, e.g. "The Water Cooler" or something like that?
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Possibly, but needs more discussion.
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 18

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Do we have...(or want)... Reply with quote

...any sort of "Water Cooler" forum where we can talk about stuff other than D6 Star Wars and the other awesome games we have?

I come here often enough that I might post something there weekly. Something funny or silly or something. Or an op/ed if you really want, which is cool with me, personally.

I had a vision just now of a forum traffic increase, in the indistinct future...

EDIT: I do know that this ^ forum is that first thing functionally, but maybe we would be better served by reverting to using this forum how the directions read and creating another freeform section for stuff about other games and politics and personal stuff and poems and whatever the f*ck you want. Admins can do it easily. "The Water Cooler" is a good name, or like "A Patch of Grass Somewhere on Alderaan."

My vote is still "yes" in the sense that I wish to at least try it. If it becomes degenerate in a short time, the admins could just prune it back again. ::backseatadminning:: Consider yourself to be only assenting to an experiment, not a forum guaranteed existence in the long-term. (see below)

Last edited by Error on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 5 times in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::crickets::

I'm gonna put a poll in the first post so folks can vote.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit iffy on this off-topic forum, especially since it might include political topics and in light of recent events, I'm afraid the resulting flame wars might tear this forum apart. I voted "needs further discussion" a moment ago, but upon further reflection, I'm going to change my vote to "No."
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Sutehp.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I'm a bit iffy on this off-topic forum, especially since it might include political topics and in light of recent events, I'm afraid the resulting flame wars might tear this forum apart. I voted "needs further discussion" a moment ago, but upon further reflection, I'm going to change my vote to "No."

Well, the forum would require moderation (I would be happy to do it if no one else wants to). And if we want to eliminate politics in some axiom of a rule like "No politics, religion, or arguing (ad hominem or not)" could easily be implemented and enforced.

I don't see a whole lot of flame wars myself on this site, but maybe that's because I'm not looking for them. Such things are unacceptable on this forum in general though, so I guess that obviates the need for any special rules regarding them for a freeform forum.

My vision for it is basically a place where people can go to talk about other games (for me primarily, at least), events in their lives, cool stuff they've found online, memes, dumb poems, funny pictures, satire, jokes...literally all the stuff you'd talk about around a water cooler. It doesn't have to be all op/ed crap. I would want the spirit of it to be a little lighter.

But of course it would evolve just like any other forum. My vote is still "yes" in the sense that I wish to at least try it. If it becomes degenerate in a short time, the admins could just prune it back again. ::backseatadminning:: Consider yourself to be only assenting to an experiment, not a forum guaranteed existence in the long-term.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in favor of a general discussion forum for topics that don't fit cleanly under one of the other topics, or for subjects that have gaming ramifications even if they dont havd a direct connection to D6.

A good example is the recent topic about D&D being nominated to the toy hall of fame. It absolutely has gaming ramifications, but lacks a direct connection to Star Wars D6.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since some here play other games, it could be used as a general RP discussion spot.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm officially closing the poll (it has been stuck at the same result for two days). Results:

1. 3 - Possibly, needs more discussion
3. 2 - Yes
3. 2 - No

So I guess the next thing we need to do is discuss it. Let's assume our discussion should answer the following questions (these are very basic; I'm sure there are more):

1. What is the objective we hope to accomplish with the creation of such a forum?
2. What sorts of topics do we want to encourage in such a forum?
3. What sorts of topics do we not want to encourage in such a forum?
4. How can we run it so that newcomers feel welcome using it right away?
5. Do we need any extra rules (e.g. no politics, religion, or flaming) in a sticky at the top?
6. What should the job of the moderator be (if different from that of a moderator of an existing forum)?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
OK, I'm officially closing the poll (it has been stuck at the same result for two days). Results:

3. 2 - Yes
3. 2 - No

Actually, with my change of vote (see my post above), the results are as follows:

1. 2 - Possibly, needs more discussion
3. 2 - Yes
3. 3 - No

But in any case, this was a total of 7 votes out of a forum with over 1,900 users. Hardly a representative poll. So perhaps further discussion is warranted. In any case, this isn't my decision, so I'll just wait to see what happens.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Error wrote:

3. 2 - Yes
3. 2 - No

Actually, with my change of vote (see my post above), the results are as follows:

1. 2 - Possibly, needs more discussion
3. 2 - Yes
3. 3 - No

But in any case, this was a total of 7 votes out of a forum with over 1,900 users. Hardly a representative poll. So perhaps further discussion is warranted. In any case, this isn't my decision, so I'll just wait to see what happens.

I agree. Just 7 respondants is no where good enough of a representation. BUT imo of those 1900 or so users that are accounted to this site, a good # of them either never post or have 'left' but didn't deactivate their accounts..
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're changing votes, mine is for "Possibly, but needs more discussion" so that puts that EDIT: equal with "No". But if you guys want to run the poll longer, that's totally cool with me Smile

Let's stick with our original votes though, yes?

EDIT: Also, we should pick a date for the poll to stop running. I am all for the first of the year; that's nearly a fortnight more of polling. Agreed? The people who have voted by then will represent the rest.

FURTHER EDIT: Also, once more, I want to remind folks that we're voting to commence an experiment, not fiat some immovable thing...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have began a discussion of adding subforums backstage. We already misuse "The Rancor Pit" subforum for General Star Wars threads (like discussing the films, etc.) so there seems to be a need for a devoted subforum for that. I can also see a General RPG subforum to discuss RPGs other than the WEG SW D6 RPG.

However, grave danger do I fear in a 'water cooler' subforum, even with moderation. This site is focused on the WEG SW D6 RPG, so a completely open subforum just seems too far beyond the scope of this site. General Star Wars and General RPG still point back to the WEG game we're primarily here for. But for completeness, I did mention this "anything goes" idea backstage too (with my misgivings).

Like all changes here, it will ultimately depend on our owner and administrator. He comes and goes as needed like Gandalf (but a wizard is never late). He will eventually see it where I put it backstage.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see sub forms about, other games both d6 and others.

I think a sub form about books and or movies. Good, maybe even as they relate to gaming.

General open topic is asking for trouble.

Sigh, had wanted to sound good and discovered I was paraphrasing Whill
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad discussion is continuing!
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would welcome a general subforum, but only if it's called "Mos Eisley: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: