The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" Combat Assault Tank (RO)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" Combat Assault Tank (RO) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
And mounting the weapons in fixed positions that require the entire vehicle to turn is less of a hindrance? Also theres no law that says turret has to be a massive structure with lots of overhang. If you look at the dimensions of laser cannons it mounts now one could easily be mounted in a turret on top of the tank with little to no overhang. That along with the writers changing the crew to 3; commander, driver, gunner would at least make the thing plausible.

There are pros and cons to both turret mounted and hull mounted weapon systems. None of which apply here because the truth is none of them were ever considered when some nameless person decided the vehicle in question would look good on screen in the movie.

We're the guys stuck trying to decide the stats and justify the design, until someone releases an official write up for a SWU game.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Did I...did I stumble onto an old meme without realizing it?

Ugh, this means that in order to satisfy my curiosity about this, then I HAVE to watch Spaceballs from beginning to end now...that's something I've been avoiding all my life. Ah well.

I will take pity on you. Here is the relevant clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxYVeJhwPdQ

That, actually, in retrospect makes ALOT of sense. I should have known that Mel Brooks wouldn't let an opportunity to mock Star Wars merchandising go by. It would have been comedic malpractice if he had.

EDIT: (Also, damn, but Daphne Zuniga was HAWT in those days!)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Also I read that originally the movie had it planned as a hover (repulsor) tank, but that idea got scuttled. Which begs the question...WHY!? Who thought a hover tank wouldn't have looked kewl in a Star Wars movie?

Too Phantom Menace for people maybe?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Not likely for the people who basically recycled A New Hope for episode 7.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
I read that originally the movie had it planned as a hover (repulsor) tank, but that idea got scuttled. Which begs the question...WHY!? Who thought a hover tank wouldn't have looked kewl in a Star Wars movie?

The Brain wrote:
Whill wrote:

Not likely for the people who basically recycled A New Hope for episode 7.

By people I meant for the fans, not the creators. Fans generally love A New Hope, so recycling that is a no-brainer (see what I did there). But The Phantom Menace is not nearly universally loved like ANH.

Your original question reads like there never have been hover tanks in Star Wars before, and I thought maybe you had forgotten there already were hover tanks in TPM.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I find this "tank" underwhelming in the extreme. Nothing against shootingwomprats' stats, but there really is nothing here that attracts my interest. With all the effort put into including cameos and easter eggs connecting to the original series, I would've much prefered if they had finally managed to insert the Imperial Troop Transporter into a live-action film.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that's what they were initially thinking of, but the designers said 'the tank toy' would be much better!
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I have to say I find this "tank" underwhelming in the extreme. Nothing against shootingwomprats' stats, but there really is nothing here that attracts my interest. With all the effort put into including cameos and easter eggs connecting to the original series, I would've much prefered if they had finally managed to insert the Imperial Troop Transporter into a live-action film.

That would have been nice to see.
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have to say that I've just seen Rogue One (totally awesome), and haven't seen what might be said about this tank on anything besides wookiepedia, but I noticed something in the wookiepedia article. They used a real tank to make this thing, an Alvis Stormer. Looking at that tank, its modular on the back, and has several variants, including a flat bed, which looks like what they actually used for the movie. So why not take a page from the real thing?

What we see in the movie is the cargo variant. That is what they were using it for anyway. Given some time in an appropriate shop, maybe they slap a turret on the back, and there is your baseline combat configuration. Maybe there is another variant with missiles, and another with a deflector shield, for portable cover. My point being, it can be a tank, they just converted it to a cargo carrier because that is what they needed for that job, and what we see in the movie isn't the actual tank version.

Also, since I know the Empire has a hate of multi-use things, at least in some cannon/fannon, you could call this a throwback to a Republic contract, which would also explain why its being used as a cargo hauler ("Why did they take off my guns for this?" asks the commander), and the AT-ST (new Imperial contract) is the vehicle on actual combat patrol.

I don't know, spit balling through a migraine.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
By people I meant for the fans, not the creators. Fans generally love A New Hope, so recycling that is a no-brainer (see what I did there). But The Phantom Menace is not nearly universally loved like ANH.

Your original question reads like there never have been hover tanks in Star Wars before, and I thought maybe you had forgotten there already were hover tanks in TPM.

I'd be whilling to bet if a survey was compiled titled "Top 100 Thing Fans Did Not Like about SW: The Phantom Menace", repulsor(hover) tanks would not even place.
Indeed a no-brainer since functioning grey matter would have been required to come up with an original plot. (I see your pun and raise you a double entendre)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I watched it last night with the wife, having been primed by this discussion, and my thought was "That looks like an open-field weapon being pressed into service in an urban environment." As a blitzkrieg-style machine, it's not that bad, and would make an adequate armed transport across the wastelands of Jedha, but would suck mightily in the narrow confines of the city.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, I watched it last night with the wife, having been primed by this discussion, and my thought was "That looks like an open-field weapon being pressed into service in an urban environment." As a blitzkrieg-style machine, it's not that bad, and would make an adequate armed transport across the wastelands of Jedha, but would suck mightily in the narrow confines of the city.

I was thinking it wasn't a vehicle designed for the Imperial military, but instead a second rate vehicle sold to third world nations, planetary governors in some dirtwater system, civilian national guards.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I was thinking it wasn't a vehicle designed for the Imperial military, but instead a second rate vehicle sold to third world nations, planetary governors in some dirtwater system, civilian national guards.

Something I would also subscribe to.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I was never really impressed with this vehicle as it just does not look like what I envision or the name implies: Combat Assault Tank. It looks more like an armored flatbed transport. But alas, canon sources specifically make it a combat assault tank.

With that being said, with one shot of its left, side-mounted dual light laser cannon (maybe upgrade these to medium) destroyed three levels of a building with one shot. Keeping in mind it is currently listed as speeder scale with same for weapon scale.

Perhaps the building is considered character scale? Or maybe the floors blowing up is just FX that doesn't affect the story and makes the heroes feel as though they are in serious danger?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

With that being said, with one shot of its left, side-mounted dual light laser cannon (maybe upgrade these to medium) destroyed three levels of a building with one shot. Keeping in mind it is currently listed as speeder scale with same for weapon scale.

Perhaps the building is considered character scale? Or maybe the floors blowing up is just FX that doesn't affect the story and makes the heroes feel as though they are in serious danger?

Or those in the building had a # of grenades stacked in a bag which got detonated when the building got hit..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: