The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebels Season 2 Sourcebook in need of a layout person
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Rebels Season 2 Sourcebook in need of a layout person Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What text editing program is used to do the Crawl? I ask this because I want to do one for my LotFSB.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
I would like to see this as well. Will it get a Galaxy Guide notation?

Since Season 1 didn't get a GG notation, it wouldn't make sense for a Season 2 book to get a GG notation.

That's too bad.

The season-by-season release makes it more suitable as a series of sourcebooks, imho.

Once Rebels has completed its run, a compilation Galaxy Guide would be more appropriate then, I would say, as it can then be a stand alone tome.

And haha, we're still trying to work out what GG number the Rogue One book will be!
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still waiting Very Happy

i loved the first sourcebook, and hope the second was better....

juste a question, : do you update the imperial light cruiser for it TIE capacity transport and Gozanti for AT-AT transport?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalamaro wrote:
juste a question, : do you update the imperial light cruiser for it TIE capacity transport and Gozanti for AT-AT transport?

When I updated the Imperial Light Cruiser for the second season little information was available, so I had to go on what I saw in the pertinent episodes. It does have four quad lasers, as this is what can be seen and confirmed by the vehicle art.

This is at odds with wookieepedia as well as the Star Wars Databank, which state the ship includes double-barrelled turbolasers and concussion missiles. I believe this information is incorrect and refers to the Clone Wars era Arquitens-class light cruiser, of which this ship is a newer variation of.

Wookieepedia goes on to state it has 3 TE/LN or 3 TIE/IN, 2 TIE/SA, and a Sentinel-class shuttle.

After having counted the number of ships flying around in any given scene as well as the number of light cruisers, I came to two TIEs per Light Cruiser. Though I cannot account for the TIE/SAs.

I am interested to hear others ideas on this. As it stands I have:

Starship Complement: two TIE fighters, shuttle

Should this be changed to:

Starship Complement: 3 TIE/LN or TIE/IN interceptors, 2 TIE/sa bombers, Sentinel-class shuttle.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from what I saw from watching Rebels, I had originally thought that the Arquitens could hold up to 4 TIE Interceptors or Bombers vertically between its forward mandibles (I thought 4 ships, not 3 because every element needs a wingman, so fighters have to be sent in pairs or in groups of 4 (aka a flight)) but not TIE/LNs because the LNs' wings would be too wide to fit between the mandibles. Then I saw another episode that showed the Arquitens indeed deploying TIE/LNs.

Also, I don't think there's enough room between the mandibles to hold a shuttle as well as the TIEs altogether.

Therefore, my suggestion is:

Quote:
Starship Complement: 4 TIE/LN fighters or 4 TIE/IN interceptors or 2 TIE/sa bombers or 1 Sentinel-class shuttle.

IMHO FWIW: If there is visual proof of an Arquitens deploying 3 bombers at once, then just change the 2 bombers to 4 bombers. To re-emphasize, I say the complement should be 4 and not 3 because that means the odd pilot out will not have a wingman, which is stupid because it robs that pilot of needed protection if he doesn't have someone to watch his back. Yeah, the Empire is known for its Zerg Rush tactics and not caring about its TIE pilots enough to even give them ejection seats, but the We Have Reserves attitude shouldn't descend into stupidity for small fighter unit tactics. The one time in the Tie Fighter video game that I remember being sent into battle with a unit made of an odd number of fighters was when Admiral Haarken sent Maarek Steele in an unshielded TIE Interceptor with 2 wingmen...who were supposed to assassinate him. Besides, when we see TIEs deployed, they're almost always seen flying in even numbers, right? Then again, in the Rebels short "Machine in the Ghost," Kanan, Hera and Chopper each kill a TIE fighter for a total of 3 kills, but who's to say they hadn't scored more kills earlier in the battle? That short was In Medias Res, after all.

If you don't agree with my above assessment and 4 fighters/interceptors sounds like too many, then just keep it as 3 of each.
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my view is :

i see no visual proof of concussion missiles

Starship Complement:
3 tie/ln or 3 tie/IN or 2 tie/Sa or a Sentinel-class shuttle
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, the Empire is known for its Zerg Rush tactics and not caring about its TIE pilots enough to even give them ejection seats...

Actually, according to Wookieepedia:

Canon:
Quote:
TIEs were also outfitted with an ejector seat.

Legends:
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, the ships did possess ejection seats, but the nature of space warfare often resulted in pilots riding their craft down to a swift end rather than ejecting and risking slow death by heat loss and oxygen starvation in the vacuum of space.

I know I pulled the handle to my ejection seat a few times when I played Star Wars: TIE Fighter.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ryan, I stand corrected. (I could have sworn I read somewhere that TIEs didn't have ejection seats...)

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Legends:
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, the ships did possess ejection seats, but the nature of space warfare often resulted in pilots riding their craft down to a swift end rather than ejecting and risking slow death by heat loss and oxygen starvation in the vacuum of space.

In the Empire Strikes Back novelization, as Han flies through the Hoth Asteroid Field and the TIE pilots get killed, he reflects that a quick death in the asteroid field would be preferable for them rather than reporting their failure to Darth Vader. In Tales of the Bounty Hunters, however, when Fett sees the TIEs going in after the Falcon, he thinks Solo flying in there is justified because he's desperate to get away (and Fett won't go in after him because "you can't get paid if you're dead.") But when Fett sees the TIEs going in after Han, Fett thinks that the Empire "doesn't know the first thing about cost-benefit analysis," not realizing what Han understood: a quick death is perferable to failing Lord Vader.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this? We're heading into the final season next month.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

This summer has been difficult for me to juggle things. Also, as there are more people involved in this project it is taking more time as well. SWRe2 is done but the issue continues to be something with the images in the layout. We could release it as a PDF only release but then we would need to field questions of why it won't convert for POD through Lulu or similar company. Everyone we have had lined up to fix the issue has fallen through. So that is where we are with that.

As for SWRe3, it is mostly done, but with time split between SWDr, GG: R1, as well as real life, it has bogged down for now.

Hope the information helps.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Forceally wrote:

This summer has been difficult for me to juggle things. Also, as there are more people involved in this project it is taking more time as well. SWRe2 is done but the issue continues to be something with the images in the layout. We could release it as a PDF only release but then we would need to field questions of why it won't convert for POD through Lulu or similar company. Everyone we have had lined up to fix the issue has fallen through. So that is where we are with that.

As for SWRe3, it is mostly done, but with time split between SWDr, GG: R1, as well as real life, it has bogged down for now.

Hope the information helps.

Okay. So Season 2 is about 95% complete. Season 3 is about 80% complete. GG: R1 refers to the Rogue One Sourcebook. Are you going to incorporate the two prelude novels to the film in this. Namely Guardians of the Whill and Rebel Rising? More for the sake of fleshing out the main characters like Jyn, Base, and Chirrut.

What's SWDr? Never heard of it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
GG: R1 refers to the Rogue One Sourcebook. Are you going to incorporate the two prelude novels to the film in this. Namely Guardians of the Whill and Rebel Rising? More for the sake of fleshing out the main characters like Jyn, Base, and Chirrut.

Those are youth novels. And that question begs the question of, Will Catalyst: A Rogue One Story be incorporated? It's the (mostly boring) adult novel that was billed as the prelude to the film's prologue.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Okay. So Season 2 is about 95% complete.

To be clear, the book is complete, the issue is a POD issue with a background image. This evening I was able to get the InDesign file and hopefully over the next week we can go enough editing-fu to get it licked.

Forceally wrote:
Season 3 is about 80% complete.

That sounds about right.

Forceally wrote:
GG: R1 refers to the Rogue One Sourcebook. Are you going to incorporate the two prelude novels to the film in this. Namely Guardians of the Whill and Rebel Rising? More for the sake of fleshing out the main characters like Jyn, Base, and Chirrut.

Whill wrote:
Those are youth novels. And that question begs the question of, will Catalyst: A Rogue One Story be incorporated? It's the (mostly boring) adult novel that was billed as the prelude to the film's prologue.

Background and information presented in Catalyst: A Rogue One Story were incorporated into the original work for the book. As we progressed the books Rebel Rising (age range 12-17) and Guardian of the Whills (age range 9-12) were released. Pertinent information has been included from these two sources. Mostly character backgrounds, skills, equipment, planetary and location information.

Forceally wrote:

Star Wars Droids the Adventures of R2-D2 and C-3PO is based on the 80s television cartoon and the accompanying related comics by Dark Horse Comics. This is actually the first sourcebook I worked on and has been floating around for around four years I think. Eventually it will get done though.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, keep posting, I will do my best to answer.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Forceally wrote:
Okay. So Season 2 is about 95% complete.

To be clear, the book is complete, the issue is a POD issue with a background image. This evening I was able to get the InDesign file and hopefully over the next week we can go enough editing-fu to get it licked.

Forceally wrote:
Season 3 is about 80% complete.

That sounds about right.

Forceally wrote:

Whill wrote:
Those are youth novels. And that question begs the question of, will Catalyst: A Rogue One Story be incorporated? It's the (mostly boring) adult novel that was billed as the prelude to the film's prologue.

Background and information presented in Catalyst: A Rogue One Story were incorporated into the original work for the book. As we progressed the books Rebel Rising (age range 12-17) and Guardian of the Whills (age range 9-12) were released. Pertinent information has been included from these two sources. Mostly character backgrounds, skills, equipment, planetary and location information.

Forceally wrote:

Star Wars Droids the Adventures of R2-D2 and C-3PO is based on the 80s television cartoon and the accompanying related comics by Dark Horse Comics. This is actually the first sourcebook I worked on and has been floating around for around four years I think. Eventually it will get done though.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, keep posting, I will do my best to answer.

I chose to say Season 2 is about 95% complete because I have no idea what you mean by the POD issue, but I figure it's a formatting issue to make it ready to be converted to a certain file type. Like converting a Microsoft Word doc into PDF format. Not a long drawn out process like typing the entries and pasting the pictures.

I know about the Droids cartoon from the 80's. I am familiar with those two having their own set of comics, including an arc on that space station at Kalarba. I knew there was a sourcebook floating about in some stage of completion. I didn't know it was referred to as that.

What would be funny - Chopper and AP-5 having a series of adventures like R2 and 3PO. Funnier - BT-1 and 0-0-0 having them.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My editing work for the first draft of R1 was done a couple of months ago and was submitted to the team then. How far along the entire project is in general I can't say, but I'm standing by to edit the second draft (which I think should have preliminary formatting and artwork and such) once it's ready.

Whill wrote:
Forceally wrote:

Those are youth novels. And that question begs the question of, Will Catalyst: A Rogue One Story be incorporated? It's the (mostly boring) adult novel that was billed as the prelude to the film's prologue.

I don't own either Catalyst or Guardians of the Whills, but I did buy a copy of Rebel Rising on the gamble that it would have information on Wobani, the prison planet where Jyn was being held at the start of the Rogue One movie. The gamble paid off as it did indeed have a bit of relevant information for the R1 sourcebook and I incorporated that information into the relevant parts of my edits. The Wobani mini-chapters were integral to my edit of the Wobani entry in the Planets chapter and that information is already in the R1 sourcebook edits. I don't think either Catalyst or Guardians of the Whills has anything relevant to R1, so they're not going to be incorporated. If anyone who has read those two books knows of something that should be included, please let us know.

As for Rebels Season 3, that's a bit more complicated.... Real Life (TM) has kept me away from editing Rebels S3 for the past couple of months, so there's still alot of editing for me to do. I'm going to try to get back to it but the way it's organized in one big file (as opposed to the separate chapters for R1) is slowing me down a bit since R1 was more neatly organized into more manageble and smaller chunks. But this is my own issue, so I'll deal with it as best I can.

As for Star Wars Droids, the guy compiling all the info is still compiling and AFAIK, there's not even a first draft for me to edit yet. Which is fine by me since I have more than enough on my plate at the moment. Besides which, I watch to finish rewatching Droids on Youtube before I do any editing on that anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet is this: FFG's upcoming release of the Dawn of Rebellion era book. I and the team had a discussion about this upcoming release a few months ago as it's DEFINITELY going to be relevant for both Rebels S3 and R1. We wondered whether we should just continue with our work on both sourcebooks regardless of whenever DoR released and incorporate DoR into a later edition of both R1 and Rebels S3 or take a pause on R1 and Rebels S3 and wait for DoR to come out and then incorporate it into our books before releasing them. We made the decision to continue working on both books and incorporating DoR whenever it released regardless of whichever book(s) came out first. As it turned out, the decision was moot because Real Life forced a few of us to take a pause anyway. But in any case, DoR will be incorporated into both R1 and Rebels S3 as needed, so none of you need worry about DoR being left out of our books.

TL;DR on the subject of FFG's Dawn of Rebellion: 1) We'll either get the first edition of R1 and Rebels S3 done before DoR along with an announcement that a second edition of both books including the info from DoR will be forthcoming or 2) DoR will come out before our first edition of R1 and Rebels S3 and we'll re-edit both books to include the info from DoR into our first editions.

I think that's everything for my part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: