The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rogue One (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, I liked the novelization alot. There are a few details that don't mesh exactly with the movie, like Galen's last words "It must be destroyed. Someone has to destroy it" in the novelization as opposed to "I have so much to tell you" to Jyn, which strikes me as alot more heartwrenching and tragic.

Those differences are why I like novelizations of movies. Those books that are exactly the same as the film I find boring as I've already seen the film.

Quote:
I'm very curious about the audiobook myself, so I just might get it.

I'd recommend that you wait a bit--a long while. You've seen the movie several times, I presume, and now you've read the book. Listening to a performance of the book you just read will probably not keep your attention (it wouldn't mine), or at least not be as awesome as I am finding the book, simply because you are so familiar with the material.

Let is fade in your thoughts, then go and listen to the book.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, I liked the novelization alot. There are a few details that don't mesh exactly with the movie, like Galen's last words "It must be destroyed. Someone has to destroy it" in the novelization as opposed to "I have so much to tell you" to Jyn, which strikes me as alot more heartwrenching and tragic.

Those differences are why I like novelizations of movies. Those books that are exactly the same as the film I find boring as I've already seen the film.

Quote:
I'm very curious about the audiobook myself, so I just might get it.

I'd recommend that you wait a bit--a long while. You've seen the movie several times, I presume, and now you've read the book. Listening to a performance of the book you just read will probably not keep your attention (it wouldn't mine), or at least not be as awesome as I am finding the book, simply because you are so familiar with the material.

Let is fade in your thoughts, then go and listen to the book.

Duly noted, thank you.

Yeah, I admit, I haven't had much luck with audiobooks. In fact, the one audiobook I do have is The Simarillion narrated by Martin Shaw. I made several attempts to read the book while having the Audiobook playing and couldn't get past the second chapter. In retrospect, this might not have been the best idea because, y'know, it's the friggin' Simarillion. Damn thing reads like the Bible and is just as prone to purple prose and difficulty in reading. Given my general tendency for my mind to wander while listening to audiobooks, they're probably not the best fit for me.

But I simply have to finish reading The Simarillion sometime. The story is just too awesome to leave unread, Downer Ending(s) or no.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audiobooks, in my experience, can be hard to pick. I'm a member of Audible, and earlier in the year, I listened to The Godfather. I'd seen the films, of course, but never read the book.

The narrator was horrible! It was like he was reading the news to me.

Luckily, Audible has an excellent policy to where, if you don't like a book, they'll refund your money. I got that one refunded.

Sometimes, an audiobook is better than a standard read. Other times, you'll want to read a book and not listen to it. I find them to be different experiences.

I always listen to the samples before I buy, to try and get an idea if I'll like listening to the book. But, even that can be deceiving. I listened to the sample for Rogue One, for instance, and I wasn't sure about the narrator. I didn't think I'd like him.

Yet, here I am now, thinking that the Rogue One audiobook production is one of the best I've ever heard.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If The Silmarillion is hard going it’s because it’s like reading the LotR Appendix without reading the LotR. I suggest The Book of Lost Tales. You might still have trouble with the first two chapters, but, keep going. It really made the stories come to life, for me.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: The debate on Cassian's transmissions while in hyperspace....

The first time this comes up in the book, it is obvious that Cassian is not having direct, two-way, real time communication with Base One on Yavin. It's a coded message that is read, like a telegram.

But...

Not long after that, from Jyn's point of view, she sees Cassian at the com board and hears him say, "Understood."

This isn't positive proof of real time communications while in hyperspace, but it does bring up questions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Not long after that, from Jyn's point of view, she sees Cassian at the com board and hears him say, "Understood."

This isn't positive proof of real time communications while in hyperspace, but it does bring up questions.

My take is that "Understood" is also a pre-recorded message being sent as a reply in the same fashion. IIRC, he flips at least one switch on the console after he says it.

It's also possible that this capability isn't universal; a U-Wing modified as a special missions / Intel transport would likely have upgraded comm systems.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On audiobooks:

Check with your local library. Chances are VERY good that they have at least one service that will let you download and listen to audiobooks on your computer or phone, and, like most library stuff, it tends to be free to use. No late fees, though there may be a wait. If you use your library's ebook and eaudiobook services, let them know, since that encourages their Collection Development Department to get more.

Two big ones are Overdrive and Axis360. Both are in use by my small-city library. I also have a card for our next door big city, and they use Hoopla. There's also OneClick digital, but my experience with that (teaching and troubleshooting ebooks for 5+ years) was pretty universally horrible.

Overdrive and Axis360 are license-based services... the library leases X number of licenses, so they can have X number of copies checked out at once. Hoopla is a per-use system; in my case, I can check out 8 "things" per month. That can be episodes of a TV show, movies, albums, books, or audiobooks. I use all three pretty extensively... I've been listening to Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series for most of this year, with Wishful Drinking tossed in. I'm currently listening to Aftermath by Chuck Wendig, and am waiting for The Princess Diarist and Life Debt.

If you want to dip your toe into audiobooks, check your local library. Or, hell, PM me with your physical location (city level is fine), and *I* will tell you about your local library's options. I'm pretty sure I've lectured Garkh on this before. Wink
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@FFG Star Wars player

What do the FFG rules say about jumping to hyperspace within gravity wells?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY saw this movie for free on Netflix....

Gotta say: I'm SO GLAD I didn't pay midnight-showing IMAX price to see it. IMO, it was a total drag. Not one character in the movie mattered to me. When your two primaries are living their lives in the grey area and never learn why that isn't okay, it males them impossible to get emotionally attached to.

I seriously was waiting for every last one of them to just die. Chirrut was a good guy, but far too cliche, IMO. They might as well have just made him a Jedi... he may have actually fit the movie better, possibly.

The lack of PRINCIPLED lead characters (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Luke, Padme, to name some examples) made the movie more of a "filler" than a worthwhile tale that fits the SW dichotomy.

Yes, Disney, we KNOW that Wolverine is a well liked "anti-hero" type, but the secret is that he actually is NOT an anti-hero. He has priciples and a heart of gold hidden beneath the gruff countenance. The characters in R1 fall far short of heroic, making me feel like "meh" at every problem they "struggle" against.

The last 90 seconds were epic, though.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it...A LOT.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue One certainly was a departure from any other Star Wars movie and from the serial roots of the series. I had ignored any buzz or reviews so I didn't know how it ended and as a result until very late in the film I thought at least one or two of them was going to get rescued in the end.

Rogue One reminded me of some World War II movies where some, or all, of the main characters die fighting the good fight. I felt the movie rounded out the original three films by letting us see protagonists who neither escaped in the end nor were left frozen in some sort of cliff hanger until the next film. I really enjoyed Rogue One. A lot. But I can see how someone expecting or wanting a different ending and starker contrasts between the villains and the heroes (or protagonists if you prefer) might have been disappointed.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yes, Disney, we KNOW that Wolverine is a well liked "anti-hero" type, but the secret is that he actually is NOT an anti-hero. He has priciples and a heart of gold hidden beneath the gruff countenance. The characters in R1 fall far short of heroic, making me feel like "meh" at every problem they "struggle" against.

I dunno, Jyn giving her epic speech to the Rebel Council and then Reality Ensuing with them going "meh, there's no hope" changed Jyn from an anti-hero to a hero IMHO. Ditto for Cassian and the rest when he recruits the rest of the Rebel SpecForce guys for the Rogue One team. They start out as anti-heroes, but end/die as heroes. Each of them have a hidden heart of gold that comes out before they meet their respective makers. Hell, even K-2SO, who does nothing but snark his way through the entire movie, gets a very poignant send-off when he sacrificed himself to give Jyn and Cassian a fighting chance to transmit the DS plans. When even arguably the surliest character (perhaps second only to Baze) makes a Heroic Sacrifice for people that he doesn't like all that much, that's great evidence of a hidden heart of gold, even for a droid. And then each of the other characters then go off to perform their own respective Heroic Sacrifices. Chirrut sacrifices himself to open the master switch; Rook sacrifices himself to contact the Rebel Fleet; Baze lays down his life while making sure not to abandon Chirrut's body; and Jyn and Cassian give up their own lives to make sure the Death Star plans are sent to the fleet. If a Heroic Sacrifice is evidence of a hidden heart of gold of an anti-hero, then the whole Rogue One team qualifies.

I don't think you're giving the characters of Rogue One enough credit.

Naaman wrote:
The last 90 seconds were epic, though.

Here, we agree. The scene with Darth Vader performing his Mook Horror Show shows just why he is so feared across the galaxy. This was Vader in his prime and it was amazing to see him in this state again.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be clear: the ACTIONS of the characters (Jyn and Cassian, most specifically) were "heroic" in the sense that they were sacrificial, but the motivations of each character were not compelling enough to carry my interest through any portion of the movie.

I acknowledge the magnitude of the accomplishment, but the underlying motives--starting with the beginning of the movie--were very much underwhelming.

I honestly feel that the movie just sucks.

What's going to be hard to reconcile from a continuity standpoint is the difference between Vader at the end of R1 to his portrayal in ANH which takes place minutes later (and his duel with Obi Wan days later... Razz)
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I honestly feel that the movie just sucks.

Wow. Everybody has their own opinion. I respect that. I just don't share the sentiment.

I think Rogue One is better than just good. And, it is Shakespeare compared to the prequels.

Is it as good as I wanted it to be? No. It's not as good as A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. But, it's way better than Jedi. And, I like it about the same as The Force Awakens.

If they keep making the Star Wars films to at least this quality, I'll be a happy camper.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this movie, and while watching it, even though I still haven't played a D6 campaign, I kept thinking to myself "This must be what a TPK looks like..."

I liked the morally grey characters. I liked that they were regular joes, rather than super-powered space monks. And I liked that the film showed the grittier side of the war. I want to see more of that, and more of the gritty side of the Star Wars universe, just as much as I want to see the big, heroic stuff.

I think the film suffered from some tortured production, but the end result is surprisingly good in spite of the editing issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: