The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Optional Combat Rules from Rules of Engagement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Optional Combat Rules from Rules of Engagement Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I don't allow overkill when hitting larger scale targets.

That's part of why I prefer the 1/3 method. It still allows high-rolling characters a chance to hit something vital on a tough target.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

I have. BUT only for 1 scale up.. SO a pc can overkill on a speeder, but not a walker...
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

I have. BUT only for 1 scale up.. SO a pc can overkill on a speeder, but not a walker...

Yeah, that's ridiculous.

Wink
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I've ever used these rules, but I do like them. Games I've GM'ed in the past have occasionally had some blue-blooded power-gamers (a fancy term for number crunchers who voraciously skim rules texts looking for minute ways to deal more damage) among them, so giving them any sort of edge wasn't part of my plan. If they wanted a given blaster to deal another +1p worth of damage, they'd have to pay to get it modified (or do it themselves).

I do think some of the special rules reflect real life combat a little better too. People IRL who are skilled shooters just tend to do a lot more damage because they are good at called and point shots, and may even be educated in anatomy/physiology. Both my uncles were cops and they knew a lot of places on the human to apply pressure/strike/shoot in order to "reduce the desire of the opponent to fight" as they put it. So skill = more damage makes a lot of sense. Just not sure how I feel about letting someone overpower their damage by A LOT...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Just not sure how I feel about letting someone overpower their damage by A LOT...

I know some DM's who 'cap' the amount of extra damage one can get using ANY of those methods.. If using the 'dice pooling' you can only go to 1d lower than double the weapon's damage (so a 4d blaster pistol can be boosted to 7d at most). Or if using the 1:1/1:3 ratio, you can 'add' up to the weapons normal NON Wild die reroll max damage. So that 4d pistol could get at most 23 more points added in... Some even capped THAT at lower, with at most, adding in the high end average (so16 for 4d) into the damage..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I think I'd lean towards a semi-dice pool method... allowing people to sacrifice 2 pips from their skill to get a 1 pip bonus to damage (with the usual 3 pips to a die). So, if I want to make a called shot on someone to inflict some extra damage, I drop a couple dice of accuracy to add a die to damage... I make a harder shot to do more damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: