The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tie-Fighter Pilot stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Tie-Fighter Pilot stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Tie-Fighter Pilot stats Reply with quote

On 2e R&E...
Typical Tie Fighter Pilot has a 6d Starfighter Piloting.... but the Tie-Fighter stats shows a Crew Skill of 4d+1 in Starfighter Piloting... which leads me to assume that it isn't being piloted by "typical" tie fighter pilots....

Editing issue?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say so, yes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whih is why i rarely go by that 'crew skill' stat block...
I put in what i think they should have, as well as go via other books, such as the imp source book/rules of engagement..
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, but I use the NPC template to reflect veteran/elite pilots as if it were a variable stat block akin to Stormtroopers'.

Then again, in my games I put the Stormtrooper effect in play for dogfights, meaning typical TIE pilots don't use defensive maneuvers and the piloting skill rarely if ever comes up. When it comes to chases, I simply narrate it rather than roll out a dozen or more piloting checks to see who manages to dodge that (insert obstacle here).

It's a bit of a metagame hand-tip to my players when I actually start rolling dodges, since they then know (in and out of character) they're not up against run-of-the-mill troops, but I like the effect since it ratchets up the dramatic tension for my players.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is an error. I think the skill includes the 2D of maneuverability from a TIE/ln. This would explain the 2D error.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6D is just "too much" for consumable cannon fodder. Only elite pilots can reach this level.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
6D is just "too much" for consumable cannon fodder. Only elite pilots can reach this level.

Actually from the background fluff, Imperial TIE fighter pilots are supposed to be the best of the best, but then again, so are Stormtroopers. So YMWV.

If you assume that the stat block used from Typical TIE Fighter Pilot section: starfighter piloting 6D, starship gunnery 5D, includes the +2D maneuverability and fire control, then the stats drop to starfighter piloting 4D, starship gunner 3D.

Now if you do not reduce for a possible errata issue, then they become starfighter piloting 8D, starship gunnery 7D which is totally bad@ss but also in keeping with the idea they are supposed to be the best the Empire has to offer.

For me I will stick with the starfighter piloting 4D, starship gunnery 3D. Though I am very tempted to give them (s) Starfighter piloting: TIE 4D and starship gunnery 3D.

To be honest, from the movies, TIE pilots seem to be quite skilled. Unlike Stormtroopers, so again YMWV
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Phalanks Balas wrote:

Actually from the background fluff, Imperial TIE fighter pilots are supposed to be the best of the best, but then again, so are Stormtroopers. So YMWV.

If you assume that the stat block used from Typical TIE Fighter Pilot section: starfighter piloting 6D, starship gunnery 5D, includes the +2D maneuverability and fire control, then the stats drop to starfighter piloting 4D, starship gunner 3D.

Now if you do not reduce for a possible errata issue, then they become starfighter piloting 8D, starship gunnery 7D which is totally bad@ss but also in keeping with the idea they are supposed to be the best the Empire has to offer.

For me I will stick with the starfighter piloting 4D, starship gunnery 3D. Though I am very tempted to give them (s) Starfighter piloting: TIE 4D and starship gunnery 3D.

To be honest, from the movies, TIE pilots seem to be quite skilled. Unlike Stormtroopers, so again YMWV

Very true. In all the films Ties seem to be VERY capable in space fights..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Very true. In all the films Ties seem to be VERY capable in space fights..

Holy Sithspit! garhkal and I agree!! First the Donald is elected, Twitter blows up and now we agree. OMG the end is nigh!!!!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Holy Sithspit! garhkal and I agree!! First the Donald is elected, Twitter blows up and now we agree. OMG the end is nigh!!!!

ROFLMAO! Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it either.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next you know, pigs will be flying.

Well once i knock one out and stick it in a catapult!! Razz Razz
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Hog's Breath Cafe is in to Air Racing (along with Power Boats and V8 Touring Cars, both get Air on a regular basis), and their mascot is a Pig, its on the Aircraft and they had the guy in the suit on the Stick, their is also the Sky-Diving team they back, the Pig makes Jumps now and them for publicity.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Phalanks Balas wrote:

Well... when the Empire say Tie pilots are the best of the best we have to take propaganda in consideration and also understand what "best of the best" means. Their skill is compared to what ? Training process ? Thus Tie pilots are the best of the best of trained pilots => 4D skilled.
And I'm not fan to roll a lot of dice. 8 or 9 is too much for my hand Wink

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the typical Rebel starfighter pilot gets a specialization in starfighter piloting: X-Wing at 6D,
and so I'm now inclined to give TIE pilots starfighter piloting 4D, and starfighter piloting: TIE ____ 6D,
depending upon whatever the particular fighter being deployed is, so as to keep in line with their elite rep,
and their onscreen prowess. At the very least, I'd put any given TIE squadron leader at 6D.

(In terms of actual play though, I usually had the TIE pilots at a 4D/4D piloting/gunnery split.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of the modules wrote where base ties for ME are 5 to 5+2 for piloting, and 5 or 5+1 for gunnery, with +1d for squadron and/or flight leaders. Some (veteran or experienced levels) start at 6d+2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: