The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nightsister Energy-Bows
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Nightsister Energy-Bows Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mi'rar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Nightsister Energy-Bows Reply with quote

So in our groups last session, our GM confonted us with a group of Dathomir Witches, presumably Nightsisters, which used Energy Bows like those seen in the Clone Wars Animated series.
What noone of us had a clear answer on is how they accelerated the plasma arrows. Does anyone here have a clear idea?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, aside from applied phlebotonium...

I honestly cannot think of a [tech] explanation that has these make ANY sense. Maybe a field set up by the bow, manipulated by the handhold? Drawing it back charges up the field, and subtle manipulation of the handhold directs the course of an ionizing laser, which creates a channel through which the plasma flows to the target?

Good lord, that sounds stupid.
Mi'rar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

I honestly cannot think of a [tech] explanation that has these make ANY sense. Maybe a field set up by the bow, manipulated by the handhold? Drawing it back charges up the field, and subtle manipulation of the handhold directs the course of an ionizing laser, which creates a channel through which the plasma flows to the target?

So it somehow creates the plasma bowstring similar to a lightwhip/-saber and then uses a guiding laser to target stuff and just have the plasma 'flow' there like from a waterhose?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mi'rar wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

So it somehow creates the plasma bowstring similar to a lightwhip/-saber and then uses a guiding laser to target stuff and just have the plasma 'flow' there like from a waterhose?

I'd be more inclined to say it works more like a bolt, rather than a flow from a waterhose, but I'm pulling things out of my @$$, here because, honestly, I can't see any reason for this thing to have glowy strings. An energy bow that shoots plasma? Sure, no problem. The bowstring for some reason being plasma? I got nothing.
Mi'rar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what caused the question in the first place, because if it had a normal string, it would bsaicly be the same as Lightsaber that can 'disconnect' its blade, which then gets accelerated like the arrow in a normal bow.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps its the force that makes it work...
Mi'rar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just got an idea: what if the 'plasma' string works like the energy binders between a podracers engine? In that case you would generate the bolt similar to a lightsaber blade 'noked' on that middle piece.
garhkal wrote:
Perhaps its the force that makes it work...

Well as far as I know noone else uses them so that is a solid 'plan B'
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very essence of Space Opera is what propels their arrows.

(Looks like the strings are plasma too. In the SWU, plasma can do aaallllll kinds of cool things...)
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or....or its an ACTUAL bow, the energy string is a weird effect of it being force charged and the arrow is a crystal similarly charged with the Force.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is yet another reason taking stuff from a KIDS focused cartoon into the RPG is a big fail (IMO)..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightsister Energy-Bows Reply with quote

Mi'rar wrote:
So in our groups last session, our GM confonted us with a group of Dathomir Witches, presumably Nightsisters, which used Energy Bows like those seen in the Clone Wars Animated series.
What noone of us had a clear answer on is how they accelerated the plasma arrows. Does anyone here have a clear idea?

Is it important ? Star wars is science FICTION. Don't try to find real technical reasons. Let's say it is an energy sting which is used to throw an energy arrow when enough strengh is apply on the energy sting...
What else ? (a cofee ? thanks)
regards

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Mi'rar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightsister Energy-Bows Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
Mi'rar wrote:

Is it important ? Star wars is science FICTION. Don't try to find real technical reasons. Let's say it is an energy sting which is used to throw an energy arrow when enough strengh is apply on the energy sting...
What else ? (a cofee ? thanks)
regards

Maybe it isn't clear from my initial Post, but I was looking for an in-universe explanation not a real one.
And until I read the description of a podracers energy binders more closely I wasn't aware of any instance of elastic 'energy projection' in the EU.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Energy" = "plasma" = "lightsaber tech" = "shield tech" = "the Force" = scifi's traditional tropes which can do whatever the writers want and can never, ever be explained thoroughly enough to some folks' likings.

Except for Star Trek...those mongoloids use tachyon pulses instead.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According.to Wookieepedia, it was inspired by the Rangrr's bow from DnD show.

And I agree with the Pod racer plasma cord.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or...."plasma bows" are nothing more than dressed up blasters. The string and pre-launch arrow are nothing more than holographic effects meant to make them look exotic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: