The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Random Systems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Random Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Random Systems Reply with quote

I have been kicking around the idea of making a random planet generator using the system provided in Planets of the Galaxy 1-4 and Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts. But while going through the information I felt as though something was missing. There were no rules in those books for detailing out the system. Number of planets, asteroid fields, gas giants, basic composition, number of moons if any, etc.

It seems I remember seeing simple rules for generating this information but I cannot seem to find it. Does this sound familiar? Does anyone know what book it appears in?

Perhaps its wishful thinking on my part. If it doesn't exist then I/we need to work out some mechanics.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in an old thread.

http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/swsg/
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I am familiar with that generator, but again, I am looking for the actual rule mechanics I thought I saw in one of the books for generating the entire system, not just the planet. Though, thank you for posting that link. Its still a very good random generator.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I found this in an old thread.

http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/swsg/

This is the one I use most and is the best I have found after a lot of searching. It's as thorough as they get, unfortunately, though it more often than not does exactly what I need it to do!

I'm not familiar with any tables in the books for anything other than planets, but that doesn't mean you can't create your own pretty quickly. Say 1D other planets beyond the one inhabited, 5 out of 6 chance of at least one Jovian planet in system (these huge planets actually shelter worlds in the habitable zone indirectly by ejecting extrasolar bodies, and are likely to be found in inhabited systems), a 50% chance of an asteroid belt somewhere (you can roll another 1D to determine its thickness in tens of thousands of kilometers), you could roll 2D to see how many large comets come through or are in orbit just like planets, and then you just need a table where you can take 4D and roll them, and that's how you'd characterize your X extra planets. All you need is for the numbers from 4 to 24 to have simple, small descriptors next to them like "dead star", "ice ball", "gas giant with 10+ moons", "large asteroid in the lagrange point of a gas giant (you could roll for which one)", "scorched ball", "plutoid with eccentric orbit", "former weapons testing site", or whatever you can come up with. You could even do 5D and write numbers 5 through 30. That's only 26 anyway. Of course you are going to have to repeat a few because of their frequency in the galaxy..."scorched ball", "plutoid with eccentric orbit" and "gas giant with 10+ moons" come to mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: