The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Current REUP Status? (And Flaw in the REUP character sheet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Current REUP Status? (And Flaw in the REUP character sheet)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Current REUP Status? (And Flaw in the REUP character sheet) Reply with quote

Hey guys, first time poster here. I've got a few questions that I figured I'd post here. I managed to find the SWD6 REUP character sheet for download at this link: http://documents.mx/documents/character-sheet-sw-d6-reup-fillable.html#

But there's a flaw: the top lines of Mechanical and Technical aren't editable the same way that the other 4 Attributes are. I had a friend of mine, Mr Gone of Mr Gone's Character Sheets (http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/) fix those flaws so I have PDF files of the REUP character sheet with all 6 of the top Attribute lines fillable now.

I want to make this PDF sheet available to the REUP team so that the SWD6 community can use it, but I have no idea who to contact or how. Plus, according to what I found at Shooting Womprats, I gathered that the REUP team is facing legal issues of some sort, as well as some health issues? And the last posting at Shooting Womprats is from all the way back in August. Just what is REUP's current status? Can anyone sum all this up for me? Thanks.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. Thanks for the first-time-post.

Most of us when we want to share a file find a private file-sharing service. For example, I have a 4shared (which I would NOT recommend), and a gmail account for Google Drive. Other people use Dropbox. If you want to share it, just post it on a file sharing site, and post the link.
In terms of getting it “officially” shared, I don’t think there is such a thing or place.

I haven’t heard much from Dan and Don at Shooting Womprats for a while, but we’ve all been pretty busy. It’s no secret that Don’s had a rough go of things, and I would hedge my bets on that being why we haven’t seen much in terms of podcasting from them.

As far as REUP legal trouble, I don’t think they’ve had anything official come down. It would be pretty hard, given that nobody knows who they are, and there aren’t any official sources sharing their work. As in, they don’t have an official blog, or an official facebook. My understanding was that they have been trying to keep their work pretty quiet so that they don’t get into any legal trouble, since all it would take is a C&D from the Mouse to shut things down. And anyone who wasn’t a fool would comply.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I get involved with the REUP? Also, it's unlikely anything legal is going to come down from the Mouse. All of these books are out of print so they're no longer making money on them anyway. Rearranging the information inside the books and concentrating it so that we can all have it at our fingertips rather than in an obscure chart in a book that's $200 on Amazon isn't a huge crime.

Where you might get resistance is WEG since D6 is their intellectual property and a lot of the SW stuff in it too, though they're unlikely to do anything either. They're probably just tickled pink that people are still playing a game they created over twenty years ago. I bet there are a few of them who even want to release new material and/or revisions.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error, not to be a d***, but I'd be a bit less nonchalant about those possible legal consequences. I'm a lawyer myself, though not an Intellectual Property lawyer, so I'm not sure about what sort of legal consequences could ensue from the REUP Project. (And considering my IP Law exam at law school was close to the worst 36 hours of my life, I think I subconsciously repressed all my memories about IP law. Shocked ) You might be right about legal consequences not being likely, but it's not the sort of thing that one should take lightly.

Cheshire, I actually do have Google Docs; It occurred to me that I could post my modified REUP SWD6 sheet there, but I doubt anyone here would see it unless I attached the link to my signature here on these forums (and even then, I'm afraid not alot of people would see it). Still, it remains a distinct possibility. I'll keep it in mind.

Is the errata thread for the REUP Corebook still ongoing? I noticed a few editing errors in the Feb 2015 Printing, which I assume is the latest printing because I haven't seen a later printing for download at the D6 Holocron. I suppose I'll have to read through both the editing thread AND all through the REUP Corebook to be sure all the errors were caught....
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Error, not to be a d***, but I'd be a bit less nonchalant about those possible legal consequences. I'm a lawyer myself, though not an Intellectual Property lawyer, so I'm not sure about what sort of legal consequences could ensue from the REUP Project. (And considering my IP Law exam at law school was close to the worst 36 hours of my life, I think I subconsciously repressed all my memories about IP law. Shocked ) You might be right about legal consequences not being likely, but it's not the sort of thing that one should take lightly.

I didn't mean to come across nonchalantly, that was not my goal. I just contend that it would be an obvious waste of time and money for any of these companies to come after us. Come after who? Me? I have $400 in my bank account and $20 in my wallet. Good luck! lol

Of course you're right, stranger things have happened. But I don't see it here.

EDIT: Some years back, WEG asked us here at the Pit to stop trading .pdf files of their SW books with each other because they were then essentially free. We have done so, and nothing else has ever happened. As far as I know, people still buy the books on Amazon.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

EDIT: Some years back, WEG asked us here at the Pit to stop trading .pdf files of their SW books with each other because they were then essentially free. We have done so, and nothing else has ever happened. As far as I know, people still buy the books on Amazon.

It wasn't so much that WEG asked the Pit to stop. At the time, WEG was just one man, Eric Gibson, trying to put some life back into the property -- which he bought just to get Junta anyway. At one point Gibson was even under the false impression that Gry Sarth was selling and printing WEG books in Brazil, and Gibson took no steps but to post a bitter diatribe on an internet board.

Our board owner, Loc Taal, decided that it was the right thing to do, and the safest thing to avoid complicity in IP piracy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: