The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Few New Player Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> A Few New Player Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: A Few New Player Questions Reply with quote

Getting back into this game after about a 25 year hiatus. Thank you for these forums. I'm very much liking all I have been reading on this site. Thank you all for keeping this going and providing so much useful content.

I have a few noobish questions I couldn't find a clear answer for. (ps, I had only played a few times back in the day, so I'm still new in that regard too).

- - - Consumables - - -
Anyone know the exact break down for cost of food vs fuel, vs water, vs maintenance etc..

The book says “restocking fee” is a Base Fee (usually 10 credits) x total crew and passenger capacity x days worth of consumables to be renewed.

I know this gets away from the thematics, but what if the PC party just camped out on some moon for a week. Not wasting fuel, but still eating food. They couldn't be expected to pay full price on the restocking fee. Conversely a PC flying alone in a larger passenger ship for a week shouldn't have to pay for food that wasn't eaten. And wouldn't an empty cargo ship waste less fuel? Or does nobody want to do that much bookkeeping.

The general goods sections lists 1 liter of fuel as 50 credits and 1 kg of (common) food as 10 credits.
According to the restocking fees listed, a crew of 3 flying for 3 days would only cost 90 credits to restock. What, did they use only a gram of fuel? Super ultra discount on the food? Restocking seems way too cheap. There's obviously something I'm missing.

Side note: I understand modern IRL spaceships have fairly efficient water recyclers (sucking humidity out of the air) and I understand submarines can recycle their oxygen as well. One submariner told me they could stay underwater for months. Their only real limit was food. This was a nuclear submarine so power generation was not a problem. What is the assumption in the Star Wars Universe for air and water?

- - - Dodge - - -
Seems weird that you can dodge a blaster bullet, but ok. I read some houserules here that I like and may implement some sort of passive dodge bonus. My main question is if you are dodging as a reaction, do you lose 1D to shoot back (from multiple action penalty)? My understanding of the RAW says no. So long as your dodge skill isn't super low (and most people will beef it up) is there any penalty or disadvantage to dodging as a reaction?

Seems weird, but maybe it's just this game's version of AC because you have to give the players something to keep them alive. The obvious problem is the extreme incentive to max out your dodge as much as possible. You'd be roleplaying a fool not to.

- - - Wounds - - -
An issue came up last session where one PC had several stuns affecting her. She got hit again and the result was a wound. She sighed in relief because had it been a stun, she would have knocked out. It was preferable in this case to take the higher damage so she could stay in the battle. This seems counter-intuitive to me. Anyone do this differently?

I'm considering taking away that knockout and changing the rule to be: if you have more stuns affecting you than STR you are upgraded to wounded instead.

While I'm at it, it seems unrealistic that someone can just soak up a blaster hit. We also had the blaster-proof wookie scenario. I like the damage bonus for a good hit houserule that others have suggested. I'm thinking about adding this too: If the wild die on damage shows a natural 5 or 6, but the damage was completely absorbed by STR, the target takes 1 stun affecting him, but does not suffer the usual -1D stun penalty.

So basically 1/3 of the time you soak up a blast, it still counts against you somehow.

If stuns affecting you exceed STR then you are wounded. If stuns double STR you are wounded twice and if stuns affecting you are triple STR, you are incapacitated.

So stuns affecting you become a sort of pseudo-hit-point system. This way it is possible (but still difficult) to wear down high STR creatures like rancors or wookies.

Anyone try something similar? Thoughts?

Also, if you are wounded or stunned (and have -1D penalty) does that include -1D to STR rolls to soak damage?

Thanks
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few New Player Questions Reply with quote

yomama360 wrote:
Getting back into this game after about a 25 year hiatus. Thank you for these forums. I'm very much liking all I have been reading on this site. Thank you all for keeping this going and providing so much useful content.

I have a few noobish questions I couldn't find a clear answer for. (ps, I had only played a few times back in the day, so I'm still new in that regard too).

Welcome back!!!

yomama360 wrote:

- - - Consumables - - -
Anyone know the exact break down for cost of food vs fuel, vs water, vs maintenance etc..

The book says “restocking fee” is a Base Fee (usually 10 credits) x total crew and passenger capacity x days worth of consumables to be renewed.

Nope. The only spot i see a breakdown of food/water etc, is whats in an escape pod..

yomama360 wrote:

- - - Dodge - - -
Seems weird that you can dodge a blaster bullet, but ok. I read some houserules here that I like and may implement some sort of passive dodge bonus. My main question is if you are dodging as a reaction, do you lose 1D to shoot back (from multiple action penalty)? My understanding of the RAW says no. So long as your dodge skill isn't super low (and most people will beef it up) is there any penalty or disadvantage to dodging as a reaction?

Its more you are seeing where the baddie is going to be shooting at and maneuvering out of his way Before he squeezes the trigger.

yomama360 wrote:
- - - Wounds - - -
An issue came up last session where one PC had several stuns affecting her. She got hit again and the result was a wound. She sighed in relief because had it been a stun, she would have knocked out. It was preferable in this case to take the higher damage so she could stay in the battle. This seems counter-intuitive to me. Anyone do this differently?

Well the wound carries till healed, so she is now wound 1, stun 2..

yomama360 wrote:
I'm considering taking away that knockout and changing the rule to be: if you have more stuns affecting you than STR you are upgraded to wounded instead.

While I'm at it, it seems unrealistic that someone can just soak up a blaster hit. We also had the blaster-proof wookie scenario. I like the damage bonus for a good hit houserule that others have suggested. I'm thinking about adding this too: If the wild die on damage shows a natural 5 or 6, but the damage was completely absorbed by STR, the target takes 1 stun affecting him, but does not suffer the usual -1D stun penalty.

So basically 1/3 of the time you soak up a blast, it still counts against you somehow.

If stuns affecting you exceed STR then you are wounded. If stuns double STR you are wounded twice and if stuns affecting you are triple STR, you are incapacitated.

So stuns affecting you become a sort of pseudo-hit-point system. This way it is possible (but still difficult) to wear down high STR creatures like rancors or wookies.

So people become even more 'blaster proof' than before.. Normally if say a nemokian has a 2d+2 str, he can take 2 stun effects before going out cold. Using your optional rule, he would need 7 before that happens..
That is not making the system better, its making it worse (well to me).

yomama360 wrote:
Also, if you are wounded or stunned (and have -1D penalty) does that include -1D to STR rolls to soak damage?

Thanks

Nope. Only diseases and certain force powers reduce your soak pool.
yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few New Player Questions Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Welcome back!!!
Thanks. Good to be home.

garhkal wrote:
yomama360 wrote:

So people become even more 'blaster proof' than before.. Normally if say a nemokian has a 2d+2 str, he can take 2 stun effects before going out cold. Using your optional rule, he would need 7 before that happens..
That is not making the system better, its making it worse (well to me).

Good point. Perhaps a separate system for PCs and NPCs?

Still the problem in the RAW where a PC shooting at a bad guy with only 1 stun threshold left. The PC would hope for a stun, not a wound, because the next stun would take him out of the action completely, but a wound wouldn't.

Maybe a wound should also increment "stuns affecting" by 1. So there is no disadvantage for wounding.

Thanks for the feedback.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting your blaster on stun and repeatedly stunning a high strength adversary, like a wookiee, is one of the few ways to take one down.

Don't take smart tactics away from your players.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few New Player Questions Reply with quote

yomama360 wrote:

I have never liked something that is PC only that NPCs cant use (or visa versa).

yomama360 wrote:
Still the problem in the RAW where a PC shooting at a bad guy with only 1 stun threshold left. The PC would hope for a stun, not a wound, because the next stun would take him out of the action completely, but a wound wouldn't.

WHy?? Stunning them still lets the opponent act in that round, where as wounding them removes all actions they had declared.
yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Few New Player Questions Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
yomama360 wrote:

I have never liked something that is PC only that NPCs cant use (or visa versa).

Not a big fan of it either, but this game already does that in character generation giving PCs way more starting D for attributes. Not to mention the general thematic "you are playing heroes!" that is common throughout all the fluff.

garhkal wrote:
yomama360 wrote:

WHy?? Stunning them still lets the opponent act in that round, where as wounding them removes all actions they had declared.
Not if the stun pushes the "stuns affecting" him over his STR threshold. Then he is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes.

Can you see that in many cases this would be preferable to having your opponent merely lose his next turn? Or is there something I have misunderstood?
yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the D6 Space body point system. A little more bookkeeping, but that might be more my play style. Anyone use that? Opinions?

Thanks again.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Hit Points with the D6 system a few times. Really, there's nothing wrong with it, though it decreases the utility of STRENGTH a bit. Usually starting HP is just a Strength roll, as you want them to start off pretty weak.

Not sure how you would let them get more, but in my games I let them buy HP with CP. Say, ten CP for 2 HP. You could play with that as much as you want.

The thing is that the WEG rules as written are kind of hard for some folks to understand, even though it makes perfect sense to some.

Nothing wrong with converting to HP.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few New Player Questions Reply with quote

yomama360 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
yomama360 wrote:

Not a big fan of it either, but this game already does that in character generation giving PCs way more starting D for attributes. Not to mention the general thematic "you are playing heroes!" that is common throughout all the fluff.

Yes it does, and that's for base level MOOK npcs.. Name level ones can get equal or even more dice than pcs do.
yomama360
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses.

Based on the reactions here it looks like:

1. There is no official break down on consumables (cost of food vs fuel vs maintenance). Anyone know of a made up house rule or other fan made break down?

2. The price for restocking consumables is WAY, WAY cheaper than buying things individually in the market.
1 liter of fuel = 50 credits in market
1 kg of (common) food = 10 credits in market

3. There is absolutely no disadvantage to dodging as a reaction (no loss of action / other penalty, etc..).

Please correct me if my understanding wrong.

Thanks again.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are making all defenses are static defenses (6+2xD, or whatever formula you want to use) then there is no roll for it and it automatic. Its essentially a free action.

If you are using them per RAW then a defense can be declared as a full action at the beginning the characters declaration of actions. If so they get no further actions and the roll is added to the difficulty of the attacker.

If at some time later during declared actions the player has a chance to use their defense they may use it in two ways: 1. declared as an additional action (recalculate MAPs) or 2. they can sacrifice all their additional actions and perform the defense at no further MAP penalty.

Consumables is really nothing more than "busy" information that really could be dropped from ship stats. It really comes down to how much paperwork you want to go through and require your players to keep track of. Otherwise I would suggest unless its important to the story for whatever reason, then it becomes an issue for them, otherwise, assume they have enough of whatever it is they would normally have on hand.

Two weapon fighting it nothing more than a special effect of the narrative used. For example: a person declares two actions. Action one they fire the pistol in their right hand. Anyone else left performs their first action, those with a second action, in order of highest initiative to lowest declare second actions. The player declares he is shooting the pistol in his left hand.

Basically this comes down to a different way to looking at combat and rolls. In the above example the player declares two actions, this could be narrated out as two pistol shooting or fanning the blaster. Its however you and the players want to describe the action based on the outcome of the roll and the narrative parameters set by you as the GM.

Hope that helps.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomama360 I agree with the Stun and Wound being kinda skewered. I myself am just thinking of making wound plus adding to Stun taken. By the way I thought (at least in 2nd ed.) That if you take a wound, you are automatically KO for a few minutes?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Yomama360 I agree with the Stun and Wound being kinda skewered. I myself am just thinking of making wound plus adding to Stun taken. By the way I thought (at least in 2nd ed.) That if you take a wound, you are automatically KO for a few minutes?

That's only if being shot WITH a stun blast (or hit with stun gauntlets/stun baton)...
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:

It is sort of odd, but that is what you get with a wound level system and not hit points etc.

I completely agree that a wound should count towards the stun total. Keep in mind this is a lot of additional paperwork for you to keep track of. Also, other than to see if the total amount of stun a person takes exceeds their D in Strength, the -1D for two rounds is super-ceded by the -1D until healed from being wounded.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: