The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Baudo-class deckplan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A Baudo-class deckplan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: A Baudo-class deckplan Reply with quote

Here's the semi-final version of my deckplan for a Baudo-class:

Scale: 1 grid space = 1 meter

Not quite as nice looking as much of the pixelart, but much easier to get a good plan. Legend: (Numbers are labels, letters are notes)
1. Cockpit
2. Crew Fresher
3. Crew (two bunks)
4. Escape pod compartment (one ten person; ejects dorsally or ventrally, buyer's choice (not both in the same ship.)
5-7. Passenger quarters (two per room).
8. Air lock
9. Boarding ramp
10. Passenger fresher
11. Gun well and ladder to it. (Dorsal; ventral gun well is optional.)
12. Engine spaces.
13. Port blister.
14. Starboard blister
15. Port hold.
16 Starboard hold. (Both have exterior doors at the aft end.)

About the blisters - always a custom designed, luxury compartment. The only real constants is that the starboard blister features a common area (there isn't one elsewhere) (with autochef), and the starboard one features quarters for the ship's owner.
Smugglers or freighters remove the bulkhead between the blisters and the hold and devote it entirely to cargo, the captain and first mate each take one of the quarters to themselves, passenger quarters 7 is removed to create a common area, the forward large escape pod is converted to quarters, and two two-person escape pods are installed at E. on each side one above the other, one ejecting dorsally and the other ventrally. It goes without saying the passenger fresher is for the crew and the crew fresher is for the passengers.

Notes:
Doors haven't been added to the plan yet, except for a few.
The plan comes out to 38 meters long; I'm firmly of the opinion that most ships this size are undersized, so I don't view that as a problem.
This is about how much room there actually is forwards when the hull shape in taken into account.
A. Fresher almost always has a large round bathtub here.
B. This corner comes in multiple shapes.
C. This area over one deck tall.
D. Much of this area is pressured and accessible from within, contrary to appearances.
E. As above.
F. Reduced height area.
G. Optional alternate blister real bulkhead?? I haven't decided on exactly how to do the holds yet; both are identical mirror images, whatever that winds up being, The port hold shows a cargo lift; the starboard hold will have one too.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main issue here is that the corridor along the starboard side is going to potentially encounter vertical clearance issues with the curvature of the hull. We’ve previously discussed the Baudo’s interior to some detail here, and I have an assortment of deck plan imagery for it here.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My main issue here is that the corridor along the starboard side is going to potentially encounter vertical clearance issues with the curvature of the hull. We’ve previously discussed the Baudo’s interior to some detail here, and I have an assortment of deck plan imagery for it here.

I did take into account the vertical dimension - mainly by going very conservative on the usable hull width forward. The assumed "habitable space" is only half the width of the hull for the front third, the cockpit is narrower then most plans as well. If the narrower-then-usual cockpit fits then by extension the corridor can as well, even if it may well have a downward curved overheard forward, and it's likely not a full 2.5 meters high at the cockpit bulkhead either.
Also, the cockpit's rear bulkhead is 2 meters farther aft then most plans, where the hull is a meter wider, and the cockpit itself about a meter farther back. And the forward edge drawn is actually the edge of the -deck plating - it's about 2.5 meters from the front edge of the cockpit floor plating drawn to the forward tip of the windscreen, all part of the cockpit volume but not on the plan. The pilot's seat could well be centered on the front of the line, and consoles extending forward past that. There's enough room past the line on each edge of the cockpit for the consoles;

Last edited by JohnLydiaParker on Mon May 20, 2024 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, if you check the Google Drive link I provided, there is a graph showing approximately where the vertical clearance issues are relative to the top profile, using green, yellow, orange and red color bands.

JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
For reference, if you check the Google Drive link I provided, there is a graph showing approximately where the vertical clearance issues are relative to the top profile, using green, yellow, orange and red color bands.

Superimposing it over the plan - have a legend for what the colors mean?
EDIT - I saw that a while ago, but didn't have numbers to go with the colors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnLydiaParker wrote:

I don’t, but I can ask the guy I got it from.

JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
JohnLydiaParker wrote:

I don’t, but I can ask the guy I got it from.

Hopefully you wouldn't mind asking? BTW: who did you get it from, I might be able to find it? Since this plan is upscaled from 32 to 38 meters, (Which is about 19%; honestly that's probably the average undersize for space transports), that actually helps a bunch with the vertical clearance issues - a 1.9 meter deck becomes about 2.25

And honestly, it's not looking too bad:
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overhead at one wall of the main bath curves down a fair but but along the edge, passenger stateroom might have the overhead slope down on one side, crew quarters have a sharp turn down in the last half meters against the wall, the only compartment with real lack of headroom is the crew fresher, which - might not a problem? The corridor to the cockpit could stand to curve inward about half a meter more in its last 4-5 meters, and the compartments seem to be able to give up the space, and with the slight upscale that might not even be needed, just "those over 6'6" might want to duck" in a sliver of the corridor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it from Frank Bonura. He’s on the FB group and the SWD6 Discord, it you’re in either of those. I already sent him a message.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: